Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Went absolutely off on these tonight at the shop. Walked in with the plan to put some swings on a few other things and saw the sweet combo set chilling on the rack and I couldn't resist. Well an hour later and I had only managed to hit 2 clubs, the 588 6 and 8 iron. Holy pondering man, came away so very impressed with these. I had always thought these were way over my head but after tonight I have no clue. Very little difference between these and what I'm playing now, sure misses were shorter but still straight and playable. Stock S300 shafts which I don't like but I am very curious what a fit set would be like.

--
Tapatalk2

Isn't that interesting? I think it's great you got a chance to spend some time with them. I also think it's great that you now have a serious wrench in the works. It makes the process fun. I'm going to stop by my shop today and see if they have these in yet.

Isn't that interesting? I think it's great you got a chance to spend some time with them. I also think it's great that you now have a serious wrench in the works. It makes the process fun. I'm going to stop by my shop today and see if they have these in yet.

Very. They're still outside of my comfort zone but surprised the crap out of me. Honestly thought I wouldn't be able to hit them worth a luck but the contact was good and even little misses weren't killed. Sorta an eye opening experience.

--
Tapatalk2

I'm glad you did that, SW. The way you thought was a misconception that I had as well before the V2 testing.

Very. They're still outside of my comfort zone but surprised the crap out of me. Honestly thought I wouldn't be able to hit them worth a luck but the contact was good and even little misses weren't killed. Sorta an eye opening experience.

--
Tapatalk2

What were you expecting from them? Just unforgiveness?

What were you expecting from them? Just unforgiveness?

Not necessarily unforgiveness but more how they would react to my swing and distance loss. Being used to stronger lifted irons had lulled me into believing I couldn't hit the 588 6 iron as far or as consistent as I could the burners. Several 10 swing averages later the numbers didn't lie, very similar numbers to what I play now.

--
Tapatalk2

Not necessarily unforgiveness but more how they would react to my swing and distance loss. Being used to stronger lifted irons had lulled me into believing I couldn't hit the 588 6 iron as far or as consistent as I could the burners. Several 10 swing averages later the numbers didn't lie, very similar numbers to what I play now.

--
Tapatalk2

I kind of expected that to be honest SW. Having played with you a few times, you are far more consistent than you give yourself credit for. I swear to you that I am seeing comparible, if not more distance, from iron to iron now with the i20's than I did with anything I had previously. There's a lot of pop behind that sweet spot on these irons I reckon. Have you thought about maybe a 6-PW set, then maybe rocking some hybo's at the top of the bag?

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Very seldom need a 5 iron.

--
Tapatalk2

I kind of expected that to be honest SW. Having played with you a few times, you are far more consistent than you give yourself credit for. I swear to you that I am seeing comparible, if not more distance, from iron to iron now with the i20's than I did with anything I had previously. There's a lot of pop behind that sweet spot on these irons I reckon. Have you thought about maybe a 6-PW set, then maybe rocking some hybo's at the top of the bag?

--
Tapatalk2

TC, I actually thought about that, because I hit a Mashie 5-hybrid at the Demo Day last week. They only had it in an R-flex and I hit it so freaking high, so I'm not sure that would be the best choice for me, but it's an interesting ponder because their hybrids go up to 26 degrees.

--
Tapatalk2

TC, I actually thought about that, because I hit a Mashie 5-hybrid at the Demo Day last week. They only had it in an R-flex and I hit it so freaking high, so I'm not sure that would be the best choice for me, but it's an interesting ponder because their hybrids go up to 26 degrees.

How sweet that you have those Hybo options huh? I mean, I'm not trying to sell either of you these irons, but I know that both of you could very easily be successful with them. Of course, I haven't hit them, but based on everything I've read out there in cyber space, these things are surprisingly forgiving and powerful. I want to hit them now.

--
Tapatalk2
So true SW. The head is a little smaller, but they aren't much harder to hit than a GI iron, and distance loss for me so far has been minimal (nearly nothing PW and 9, and 5-10 yards for the 4 iron).

I'm glad you did that, SW. The way you thought was a misconception that I had as well before the V2 testing.
I think most of us think this way, then you hit irons like the 588 CB's and it opens your eyes a bit.

I want to lick these to see if they taste like butter... Am I the only one?

Wanna taste? :)
Cruise2012214.jpg

Tomahawk, think you could take like a 4i and say 9i sole measurement.

It's hard to judge by the photos, but the soles don't look all that much smaller than my Deep Reds, besides being shorter in the face maybe.

Tomahawk, think you could take like a 4i and say 9i sole measurement.

It's hard to judge by the photos, but the soles don't look all that much smaller than my Deep Reds, besides being shorter in the face maybe.

Sure. It will have to be tonight. Heel to toe and sole thickness measurements?

Sure. It will have to be tonight. Heel to toe and sole thickness measurements?

That would be great Tomahawk, thanks. I'm in no hurry, just really curious to how the compare in dimensions to what I'm currently hitting.

So, I stopped by my local golf shop today and got to finally put my hands on these irons. Sweet Mother of Texas! I can't believe how much better they look in hand than they do in pictures. If we're being honest, they look pretty amazing in pictures, so that tells you how truly remarkable they are in person. They just ooze craftsmanship. Unfortunately, they were right handed, but that didn't stop me from fondling them, lol

I did compare them side by side with quite a few other irons and to me, at address, they really resemble the AP 2's. They aren't as petite as I thought they would be to be honest. In fact, I think they look a little larger from heel to toe than my i20's. I had the manager request a left handed demo so hopefully they can pull one in within a week or so. I want to hit these in a ridiculously bad way.

Sweet man, you're going destroy with these man. I slipped back over to shop today and put a few more swings on them. Goodness I've got a tough decision to make!

--
Tapatalk2

I had the pleasure to swing a demo set of these the other day. boy do they feel nice. the head seams to just cut through the rough.

So, I stopped by my local golf shop today and got to finally put my hands on these irons. Sweet Mother of Texas! I can't believe how much better they look in hand than they do in pictures. If we're being honest, they look pretty amazing in pictures, so that tells you how truly remarkable they are in person. They just ooze craftsmanship. Unfortunately, they were right handed, but that didn't stop me from fondling them, lol

I did compare them side by side with quite a few other irons and to me, at address, they really resemble the AP 2's. They aren't as petite as I thought they would be to be honest. In fact, I think they look a little larger from heel to toe than my i20's. I had the manager request a left handed demo so hopefully they can pull one in within a week or so. I want to hit these in a ridiculously bad way.

I was surprised at the size of them as well. They just give a sense of confidence at address

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I was surprised at the size of them as well. They just give a sense of confidence at address

Yeah, but you're on the shovel train these days. I think these might be the best looking irons I've ever laid eyes on. They are super sexy.

Wow, interesting stuff TC. I really thought from the photos that these were more the size of the VR Pro Combo's but that is good to hear that they are actually bigger than that. That little bit of feedback just immediately changed my thoughts of these of being a more "players" iron to speak if labels had to be used.

Shovels are irons too!

Hearing this makes me antsy. I like the idea that they are just a little bigger than the V2's. One thing that I'm especially excited about is having just a little more cavity in the longer irons.

Cookie they are about the same size as the J40s.

Cookie they are about the same size as the J40s.

Cool - easy comparison for me! I would have sworn they were substantially smaller just based on the photos. Cool to hear.

Cool - easy comparison for me! I would have sworn they were substantially smaller just based on the photos. Cool to hear.

I thought the same exact thing dude, that they would be much smaller but they just aren't. In fact, I bet your Nike's look a bit smaller. I was surprised at how wicked they look. Wow! If the "precision forged" wasn't on the cavity they'd look even better to me. I also kind of dug the throw back Lamkin grips.

Yeah Hawk, the V2's were significantly smaller IMO.

CHunky, we have a Mashie iron thread you can talk in.

Back