DIY Putter Customization

JF

Reaction score
I want to customize my putter myself. I've done a good bit of searching around but haven't really found a great description of exactly how the refinishing process is done step by step. I'm thinking along the lines of Playdough's custom SeeMore. Here's what I have right now:

1. Remove shaft by heating hosel and gently pulling it out when the epoxy softens.
2. Remove paintfill
3. Use a fine sandpaper to remove scratches on the putter.

Then it comes time to actually apply a new finish. How many coats of what kinds of paints need be used? How would I go about perfecting this part? If I were to stamp the putter would I do it before or after applying the finish?

5. Paintfill
6. Re-apply shaft or apply new Vibrant shaft if I do that.
7. Regrip.

Cool project. What type of putter are you looking to refinish? I of course did the SeeMore which is kind of nice because they already have powder coat finish on it. I used Dupli-Color Automotive paint. For primer, color, and clear. Its pretty durable paint and comes in a large amount of colors and if you are doing white, lots of choices of white. For my paint fills I used nail polish. Is easy to work with, lots of colors to choose from and is fairly cheap. I didn't remove any paintfill and removed very little of the orginal paint. I did mask off the face to keep it orginal.

1. I did remove the shaft first but then basicly put it back in so I had something to hold on to. I didn't glue it back it, but it was tight enough to hold it just fine. So what I did was just sand that down a little to roughen that finish up some. Then laided the primer on. I used, I think, 2 coats. And then sanded down with a green scour pad, very lightly just to clean up and smooth out any high spots.

2. Once I was happy with that I started to lay the color on. I applied 3 coats of white paint. I started with a lighter coat, then a little heavier coat, and then the third coat was about the same. I just followed the directions on paint cans, I know it seems silly but I can't stress enough to follow the directions. Otherwise, the paint will run and bubble an will just generally turn out bad.

3. At this point I was ready to do my paint fills. I was matching my grip as close as I could so I just went to my local CVS and tested a couple on the sly and found the one that matched the closest. I used toothpics to do the fills. Try to get the least amount of paint on your fresh finish as you can. I used nailpolish remover to get rid of any excess. And just had to be really careful not to remove the base color. I dipped it in the remover and then dapped it on a towel to just barely have the q-tip damp.

4. At this point it was time to clear. I did the clear the same way I did the other colors. I think I used 3 coats of clear and did an extra coat on the bottom just a little heavier than the rest to protect the bottom a little better. I let that dry for about a day. And then pulled the shaft out and touched up one little spot where the paint pulled from removing the shaft.

5. At this point I took it to my local Golfsmith to have it put together. Which I get to pick up tomorrow evening.

Its really pretty easy. I really enjoyed working on it and would probably do it again. I'm planning on redoing the paint fills on Vokeys here soon. Biggest thing is just take your time and be sure you keep everything clean and try to handle the head the least amount possible. The oil from your skin will ruin your paint work faster than anything. I really wish I had my stuff to put the head and shaft together, so I'm putting a pretty fair amount of trust in my local Golfsmith, but I think they will do well. In the end that project is pretty rewarding and in reality if it comes out terrible, its paint, it can be removed and redone.

Here is my supply list:

1 can of Dupli-Color sandable primer
1 can of Dupli-Color GM Artic White
1 can of Dupli-Color Clear Coat
A tack rag
Blue Painters tape
Green 3M final Stripping pads
Lime Green and Black Nail Polish
q-tips and toothpicks.

If you have any other questions or want to know more about a step, just let me know and I will do the best I can answer it.

Reactions: JF
Thanks a lot man! Now I need to find the time and materials to make it happen!

This is very cool. I am also interested in refinishing my putter. Would like to go with a charcoal look. I have access to powder coat and a sprayer. I may have to take a try at this as well.

Keep us up to date on your progress Icemann.

I want to customize my putter myself. I've done a good bit of searching around but haven't really found a great description of exactly how the refinishing process is done step by step. I'm thinking along the lines of Playdough's custom SeeMore. Here's what I have right now:

1. Remove shaft by heating hosel and gently pulling it out when the epoxy softens.
2. Remove paintfill
3. Use a fine sandpaper to remove scratches on the putter.

Then it comes time to actually apply a new finish. How many coats of what kinds of paints need be used? How would I go about perfecting this part? If I were to stamp the putter would I do it before or after applying the finish?

5. Paintfill
6. Re-apply shaft or apply new Vibrant shaft if I do that.
7. Regrip.

Paint and golf clubs do not go hand in hand even with putters. Paint is just not durable enough. If you want a colored finish, go with one of the professional's that offers a polymer coating.

Paint and golf clubs do not go hand in hand even with putters. Paint is just not durable enough. If you want a colored finish, go with one of the professional's that offers a polymer coating.

So playdough's finish and me doing the same you don't think would hold up long? I want to do it myself, can I do a polymer finish myself?

So playdough's finish and me doing the same you don't think would hold up long? I want to do it myself, can I do a polymer finish myself?

I would say you can do anything you want to do. If you have a putter laying around that you don't mind "messing up" then do the customization on that one first. There is a feeling of accomplishment and delight you get when you do the project yourself vs. having someone else do it. I say do it yourself and you will have much more pride in your putter than if you sent it off. But I would suggest practicing on a putter you may not necessarily game often before changing your everyday putter.

I really wanted to powder coat finish, but one of the local powder coaters couldnt find a good way to hang the head. I would have a tendency to agree with this on a unclear coated finish. But I think the clear coat will add some level of durability and I also think using an automotive paint will help as well. That type of paint has additional hardners in it. Also depends on the level of prep one does as well. But I will watch for wear and chipping with my finish and will report my findings.

Really? Superglue a piece of metal line down the hole once the shaft is removed, coat it, then cut it at the bottom and the shaft will go right back in on top.
I really wanted to powder coat finish, but one of the local powder coaters couldnt find a good way to hang the head. I would have a tendency to agree with this on a unclear coated finish. But I think the clear coat will add some level of durability and I also think using an automotive paint will help as well. That type of paint has additional hardners in it. Also depends on the level of prep one does as well. But I will watch for wear and chipping with my finish and will report my findings.

As long as you arent hitting your putter like a driver and take decent care of it you shouldnt find too many problems. The putter is typically the most cared for club in the bag IMO. As long as you have a decent protective coat, the putter should be fine.

As far as hanging the club to do a powder coat, I have thought of using a plug in the hosel with a clip on the end to hang from an oven rack.

Really? Superglue a piece of metal line down the hole once the shaft is removed, coat it, then cut it at the bottom and the shaft will go right back in on top.

I think they was worried about using any kind of glue or epoxy and then putting it into the oven at 400 degrees for a few hours.

As long as you arent hitting your putter like a driver and take decent care of it you shouldnt find too many problems. The putter is typically the most cared for club in the bag IMO. As long as you have a decent protective coat, the putter should be fine.

As far as hanging the club to do a powder coat, I have thought of using a plug in the hosel with a clip on the end to hang from an oven rack.

I keep a head cover on it and I dont really abuse anything. But I will keep an eye on it.

That kind of the route I was thinking but I couldn't really find anything that i was comfortable with at the powder coater, but I think if you are doing it small scale a cork with a hook in the would work great.

If I were to stamp the head with my name should I do this before or after painting?

If I were to stamp the head with my name should I do this before or after painting?

It depends on how you are going to color it. If you were to powder coat/polymer you will want to stamp prior to painting it. If you try to stamp after the paint has been applied you could risk damaging the finish. crack/chips..etc..

Which putter are you re-finishishing?

Before any type of paint or finish is applied.

PD - how long does the paint last? Would one can work for multiple putters?

I might practice on an old one first. But ultimately it will be my CC-2. Only thing that I'm curious about is the chromeish part on the sole...

One can would probably last several putters.

On the CC-2 I dont know exactly what finish is on there, but if its been clear coated at all you will probably want that stripped. And the chrome area you might be better off just masking that area off and leaving it alone. I dont have any experience with refinishing bare aluminum if thats what the putter is made of, so might be a little different experience than i had.

The bottom part is a chrome-ish finish. Not really sure what it is.

382621_211290442286987_100002180998102_442553_385084807_n.jpg

My neighbors are paying me to spread mulch Tues. and Wed. night. Thursday I'm going out to get the supplies.

So I went to start removing the paint fill today and I failed epically. I mush have done something wrong. I used a q-tip and soaked the end in nail polish remover, then generously dabbed it on the spots where the paint needed to be removed. I let it sit a few minutes then went to scrape it out with a toothpick and nothing happened. Someone help?

Hey guys... I need help removing the paint fill! I've got the shaft removed so it's all in business now. Someone got any tips?

It might not be paint. It might a type of polymer. Also you mjght need something stronger than nail polish remover. Not real familiar with the Cleveland classic line so I'm sure what they use for fills. But looking at that pic, i'm not sure its paint.

It might not be paint. It might a type of polymer. Also you mjght need something stronger than nail polish remover. Not real familiar with the Cleveland classic line so I'm sure what they use for fills. But looking at that pic, i'm not sure its paint.

Would pure acetone do it?

Probably, again depends on the what the fill is made of.

Back