Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

Having hit all of them and bagging the F3 and F7 I can add a few things. Here's a rundown of the distances I see on the course, only saying this so you guys can estimate your own gaps.

Driver - 245+
F3 - 215-230, been over 230 off tee
F7 - 190-205, gripping up/down really works on the FWs
M3+ - 200 max (not using it currently)
4I - 180s

I am very comfortable with my gaps @ the long end. F3 strong and F5 could work, but I felt I would be more consistent with the normal F3. I'm not long enough a hitter to carry a 3W 5W, distance gap would probably be too small. After seeing the F3 in action and initially struggling with the M3+ the F7 was calling to me. Glad I took a chance as it's everything I had hoped it would be. If I had a 4H the F7 would be a flat out no brainer in my book. Especially if it was an M4+. 2.5 degree difference btwn Mashie hybrids is kinda lean. 2.5 degrees btwn hybrid and FW is pretty sensible. The F7 gives a little extra distance, for me, that is working really well on the course. Higher flight lets me fire away at greens.

This all unique to the Mashie FW. I didn't go out looking for a 7W, just happened.

I guess the downside could be the fact that the F7 is a FW. It's bigger, could be tougher to plow through really thick lies. It's longer so it could be harder to control on wild swing days. It goes higher than a hybrid so in really strong winds it may be less accurate. All those cons can be overcome or rationalized. If the rough is so thick odds are playing safe is the smart play, punch it out. If my swing is wild even a hybrid won't save me. If it's too windy, well, hit the F3 and manipulate the heck out of it. All comes down to confidence IMO. If the Mashie FW is working for you no reason to think 2 of them won't double the fun.

I love my simple setup. Iron swing, wood swing.

F3+ + F5 + M3 + 4I, F3 + F7 + M4, F3 + F7 + 4I are all great setups if you ask me. Would only consider consecutive FWs if I hit the ball farther than I do.

Reactions: JB
That is awesome stuff Griff.

Jeebus Griff. That really was good. You choke down on that F7 very often?

very good info there Griff! I like the sounds of an F3 + F7 + M4 set up. I might have to do that to my non MC bag

Thank you Griff, that was great info man. 7 woods!!

Nice Griff! Interesting to see how everyones bags work themselves out. Definitely looking forward to seeing what you guys all go with for the MC!

Having hit all of them and bagging the F3 and F7 I can add a few things. Here's a rundown of the distances I see on the course, only saying this so you guys can estimate your own gaps.

Driver - 245+
F3 - 215-230, been over 230 off tee
F7 - 190-205, gripping up/down really works on the FWs
M3+ - 200 max (not using it currently)
4I - 180s

I am very comfortable with my gaps @ the long end. F3 strong and F5 could work, but I felt I would be more consistent with the normal F3. I'm not long enough a hitter to carry a 3W 5W, distance gap would probably be too small. After seeing the F3 in action and initially struggling with the M3+ the F7 was calling to me. Glad I took a chance as it's everything I had hoped it would be. If I had a 4H the F7 would be a flat out no brainer in my book. Especially if it was an M4+. 2.5 degree difference btwn Mashie hybrids is kinda lean. 2.5 degrees btwn hybrid and FW is pretty sensible. The F7 gives a little extra distance, for me, that is working really well on the course. Higher flight lets me fire away at greens.

This all unique to the Mashie FW. I didn't go out looking for a 7W, just happened.

I guess the downside could be the fact that the F7 is a FW. It's bigger, could be tougher to plow through really thick lies. It's longer so it could be harder to control on wild swing days. It goes higher than a hybrid so in really strong winds it may be less accurate. All those cons can be overcome or rationalized. If the rough is so thick odds are playing safe is the smart play, punch it out. If my swing is wild even a hybrid won't save me. If it's too windy, well, hit the F3 and manipulate the heck out of it. All comes down to confidence IMO. If the Mashie FW is working for you no reason to think 2 of them won't double the fun.

I love my simple setup. Iron swing, wood swing.

F3+ + F5 + M3 + 4I, F3 + F7 + M4, F3 + F7 + 4I are all great setups if you ask me. Would only consider consecutive FWs if I hit the ball farther than I do.

Good stuff Griff! Some really solid info there dude. Totally see your train of thought too. Having said that I think Im pretty happy with the F3+ and the F5 but I'll find out more as I get a chance to get them out on the course more. That is always the best test for me.

That F7 sounds awesome. Would love to have a club like that which really can get that ball up in the air for some 200 yard soft landings. Nice info there Griff!

Griff that was great buddy. I have to admit that since I've started hitting 3 wood off the deck quite often, these mashies have entered my mind more and more as a club that could change my game.

That is awesome stuff Griff.

Thanks JB!

Jeebus Griff. That really was good. You choke down on that F7 very often?

Only a couple times on the course, works for me. On the range I see it as well.

very good info there Griff! I like the sounds of an F3 + F7 + M4 set up. I might have to do that to my non MC bag

That's a killer setup ddec. If the i20 4I were to short circuit on me that's what I'd do.

Thank you Griff, that was great info man. 7 woods!!

Not just for ladies!

Nice Griff! Interesting to see how everyones bags work themselves out. Definitely looking forward to seeing what you guys all go with for the MC!

Happy accident for sure.

Good stuff Griff! Some really solid info there dude. Totally see your train of thought too. Having said that I think Im pretty happy with the F3+ and the F5 but I'll find out more as I get a chance to get them out on the course more. That is always the best test for me.

You bet Kmac. I like the F3+ and F5, shortens up some of those longer targets.

That F7 sounds awesome. Would love to have a club like that which really can get that ball up in the air for some 200 yard soft landings. Nice info there Griff!

Thanks Cookster!

Griff that was great buddy. I have to admit that since I've started hitting 3 wood off the deck quite often, these mashies have entered my mind more and more as a club that could change my game.

Thanks CB! I swore off 3Ws for life last year. Hit the 5W to maybe replace my older 5W, rest is history.

So Griff - I already think I know the answer, but I'm still wishy-washy on this.

Do you feel as comfortable grabbing that 7w out of the bag as you would with a hybrid? Is the head that much bigger?

So Griff - I already think I know the answer, but I'm still wishy-washy on this.

Do you feel as comfortable grabbing that 7w out of the bag as you would with a hybrid? Is the head that much bigger?

Yes, lemme put up a pic of the M3 v F7.

The only concern I have is shaft length, but could always choke down. As for the pic, you rule for that. Much appreciated.

F3 on left, F7 in middle, M3+ on right.

6948305722_643630ca92_z.jpg

6948305478_96a4a12556_z.jpg

To directly answer you question, Hawk. They've both been in the bag and I've grabbed the F7 every time. It's a good problem to have if you ask me, both great clubs. I just hit the FWs better than the hybrids.

One adjustment I quickly made was to get used to seeing so much of the face. Weird on a FW. Looked like it was flopping open and closed. Got over it and I don't even notice it now. I could see how having the topline exaggerated because of the visible face could be initially distracting. Zero issue for me as it does setup square to my eye.

Thanks griff! Now that I have the info I just need to think it out.

Sure thing Hawk!

Thanks to everyone I pmd. I bought a 15.5 should be here next week!

Congrats, schwollo! Glad I was able to help. Stop back and let us know how it works for you.

Thanks to everyone I pmd. I bought a 15.5 should be here next week!

Nice purchase schwollo, I think you made a very good choice.

Man, I really didn't expect to be ordering these so soon. I was caught unprepared and really don't know what to do.

Man, I really didn't expect to be ordering these so soon. I was caught unprepared and really don't know what to do.

C'mon broski! You've had the Black and Mashie FW's for a while now. Go with your gut.

Hawk what is your main struggle with woods? Distance, getting it airborne or something else?

Here's the thing. I'm really a hybrid guy, but these fairways are just not like normal fairways. They can give you fairway wood length, but the ease of hybrid to go along with it. It's just a leap of faith to say I'm not going to have a 20° hybrid. That's been my go-to club for a long time.

Back