THP Jury - The Wedge Debate

Votes: 2 1.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 37 27.4%

Votes: 90 66.7%

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
I didn't read through all of this beyond your first post and a few others, but why not just split the difference and agree to agree. It's not the best of all worlds, but then again my pw get's used very little. I actually use the 60* much more than the PW or GW. Just a thought.

Listen to Ary. He's right. Smart dude. He's a doctor.

Kevin

And a Duke alumnist! As for the additional wedges, like was said practice with what you have until you can afford more.

I honestly think that mostly we don't NEED 4 wedges. With the exception of the flop shot over a tree or bunker I can't think of 1 shot I use my 62* wedge for that I can't play with another club. Same goes for my 50* wedge. I can play other shots with other clubs to get similar results. One of the main reasons I went for the wedge setup I have is so that I can use Pelz's 3/4 wedge technique and get better distance control from 100yards and in.
Being able to know the exact distance you are going to hit those short shots and having more shot options are the only reason that people should carry 4 wedges. Pelz's idea behind it is that you only have to learn 3 swings and be able to repeat them across 4 wedges to get precise distance rather than having to learn different strokes with different clubs to get similar results which leaves more room for error.

The Wedge Debate - Poll Question

The Wedge Debate - Poll Question

Simply adding a poll question as suggested by ddec. Mods feel free to merge.

IMO, 4 wedge is optimal. That way, you have less of a yardage gap between clubs and have more options in the shortgame.

I play 4 wedges PW, 50`, 54`and 60`

I play 4
Pw 46* 50* 54* 58*

46, 50, 54, 58 for me.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

48*/52*/56*/60*

45*PW, 50*AW from the set and 52*, 56* and 60* wedges

We need more IceJack wedge threads.

Kevin

I think you need to go 5. PW 48, AW 52, SW 56, LW 60, SDLW (64* Super Duper Lob Wedge)

I say 4. Mine are 45* and 50* (from the set) with 54* and 58* to finish....I'm thinking of going to 56* and 60* though.

Depends on the loft of your PW; Mine are pretty strong so use PW, 49*, 54* and 58*.

We need more IceJack wedge threads.

Kevin

Tonight I'll make a thread about what shaft is best in a wedge and then Sunday we can discuss grips.

ddxu said:
I think you need to go 5. PW 48, AW 52, SW 56, LW 60, SDLW (64* Super Duper Lob Wedge)

I'll do it just for you.

I feel like this gets discussed at least once a week. We should just have a sticky

Why were the options stopped at 5?

Why were the options stopped at 5?

Yeah. I'd game at least 13 wedges to leave enough space in the bag for the putter.

I said a tap tap tappity tap

I use 4 (48,52,56,60) but I'm really considering taking out the 60* and putting my 3 hybrid back in the bag.

I'd play all 20 SCORs if I could, 41-61.

I played a round today and used all 4 of my wedges at least 3 times each; any shot inside 140 I was using a wedge. I even had 2 or 3 shots where I wished I had a 64° fifth wedge. I like being able to take full shots whenever possible, and when shooting from ~70 yards I wish I had the full shot available. When I can hit it in and roll it up I have no problem just cutting down one of my other wedges, but when trying to hit a wedge 2/3 - 3/4, I tend to come up short (my course has a lot of holes that are dead long).

[IMO] Going into the green is the most important part of the game (assuming you are good enough to not hit OB regularly off the tee), so the more options the better as far as I'm concerned. Ideally for me, I'd have Driver, 4 wood, then irons to go from 200 yards down (including 5 wedges and a putter).

Back