Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Had my first proper game with my i20 irons and woods this weekend in our club outing. I was playing on a fairly long course and in my Ap2s I had my issue was the long irons. However, the i20s were so easy to hit. Highlight of the day was a cracking shot on the 3rd Par 3. Was about 150 with a wind blowing in my direction. Setup with a nice draw with a 6 iron and ended up one foot of the hole. With these clubs I just feel confident that I can stand over the ball and know I can hit the club. I would highly recommend them to even the mid-high handicapper, they are that easy to hit.

My only issue with them is that I found the finish on the sole wears very quickly. After one round they looked worse than my 4 month old Ap2s. The soles get marked very easily as does the finish on the face. Will post some pics in the next few days when I can a card reader. Bought a nice PING staff bag i was going to post pics of in the WITB with these i20 beautie!

Pretty awesome first post. I certainly appreciate you signing up and telling us your i20 story. I was thinking about these irons yesterday, as I watched the rain drop and the mercury levels plummet. I've been around here long enough that I have seen a lot of testing threads come and go. However, this particular one has been interesting. It seems as though 95% of everyone who tries the irons, raves about them. Myself included. There are exceptions but what amazes me is how overwhelmingly people are having similar feedback. That means consistency to me. And that's precisely what I get from these irons. I think the entire combination of head size, forgiveness, aesthetics, and the stock shaft on these irons are phenomenal. I know everyone isn't going to like them, but I sure do.

Anyway, welcome to THP. Thanks again for taking the time to say thanks. I can tell you from experience as a tester that nothing can be more satisfying than that.

Thanks TC! I started researching options about two months ago and was yearning to have a discussion about wants, needs and hoping for some realistic feedback. It's hard to go to a retailer and really get an in-depth conversation going, even with a fitter. Some are very knowledgeable, others just there to sell shoes and balls. I was able to gather a good bit of information with successive trips and bits I picked up at other websites. I had already found my way to the i20 but was really looking for confirmation of my thoughts. Wow, I hit the jackpot. This thread is a godsend. I wanted to know I'm making a sound decision not based on marketing, margins and the latest fad. Don't have the freedom to pick up a new set every year, kids college funds and all. Reading through the diaries is awesome, it just goes to show how powerful human interaction can be when combined with the internet. 20 years ago, this sort of collection of observations and opinions in near real time was unthinkable - it would have taken years to compile and who'd have done it? Fantastic. The folks at Ping must be singing the praises of the internet and social media.

A little more background for anyone interested... My Eye2 7i is normally between 150 and 155 so I was expecting mishits with the i20 to travel no further that 135 or 140. Oh no, they were 150 or 155. When hit properly, I was getting 165 to 170. I realize they're one or two *'s stronger but I was still getting significant height. On that day I first swung the i20 with the CFS S, I also tried the g20. I was already thinking about moving back towards a blade and, after hitting the i20, the g20 felt like a sledge hammer and looked like a baby elephant ear. I've played a standard lie on my Eye2s but they're fitting me for 2* flat purple with a cfs stiff. My six iron is 85+mph without a big warmup. I'm going to another fitter this week to see if we come up with the same prognosis.

Excited as can be. New clubs and sunshine in Seattle are a rare combination that I look forward to celebrating.

JP

Thanks TC! I started researching options about two months ago and was yearning to have a discussion about wants, needs and hoping for some realistic feedback. It's hard to go to a retailer and really get an in-depth conversation going, even with a fitter. Some are very knowledgeable, others just there to sell shoes and balls. I was able to gather a good bit of information with successive trips and bits I picked up at other websites. I had already found my way to the i20 but was really looking for confirmation of my thoughts. Wow, I hit the jackpot. This thread is a godsend. I wanted to know I'm making a sound decision not based on marketing, margins and the latest fad. Don't have the freedom to pick up a new set every year, kids college funds and all. Reading through the diaries is awesome, it just goes to show how powerful human interaction can be when combined with the internet. 20 years ago, this sort of collection of observations and opinions in near real time was unthinkable - it would have taken years to compile and who'd have done it? Fantastic. The folks at Ping must be singing the praises of the internet and social media.

A little more background for anyone interested... My Eye2 7i is normally between 150 and 155 so I was expecting mishits with the i20 to travel no further that 135 or 140. Oh no, they were 150 or 155. When hit properly, I was getting 165 to 170. I realize they're one or two *'s stronger but I was still getting significant height. On that day I first swung the i20 with the CFS S, I also tried the g20. I was already thinking about moving back towards a blade and, after hitting the i20, the g20 felt like a sledge hammer and looked like a baby elephant ear. I've played a standard lie on my Eye2s but they're fitting me for 2* flat purple with a cfs stiff. My six iron is 85+mph without a big warmup. I'm going to another fitter this week to see if we come up with the same prognosis.

Excited as can be. New clubs and sunshine in Seattle are a rare combination that I look forward to celebrating.

JP

LMAO! Your posts justs ooze awesomeness. You do bring up some phenomenal points though, and oddly enough, I reckon that's how the bulk of us end up here, that sheer thirst to learn a little bit more before we invest. But then something great happens: you begin interacting with random dudes about golf equipment, then you find that you have more in common than you could ever imagine, then you find yourself sitting in front of your computer more and more, then you'll find yourself laughing out loud in the confines of your living room, then you make friends and you're hooked. It's such an awesome cycle.

I'm glad you found us my man, and I'm thrilled you're finding a joy out of these irons like I am. They might be the most addictive clubs I've ever hit.

They might be the most addictive clubs I've ever hit.

This sums up the i20's perfectly. I've never wanted to hit the range before just to get in time with a specific club because I enjoyed it, until now.

My driver has only seen 5-10 tops balls per range session since the i20's hit the bag. It used to see probably a third of a 100 ball bucket.

Now it's 10 or so shots with the wedges to warm up, 15-20 with the hybo and FW, 5-10 w/ the driver just to keep them in shape, and the other 60 balls or so are spread out with the irons. I just can't get over them. I never thought I'd hit a 4i that got the same apex height as my PW. And never thought I'd hit it sooo straight!

I heart i20's!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I heart them too Colt. Honestly, I only have one or two range sessions under my belt with them. I really enjoy golfing with them. I am finding myself trying to move the ball a little bit more than I ever did in the past.

Ping i20 Testing(3-PW)
4/20/12
Mill Creek golf course. Played the tips(7000 yards)
Conditions: low 70’s light to moderate wind

This is the first time I have ever played the tips at my home course. Course plays totally different from there.
1: 9i 161: Best hole of the day. I had 161 from left side of fairway, back left pin location. Hit a pure 9i, perfectly straight, nice mid/high ball flight. Landed about 2ft from the pin and rolled about 6ft past. Made the birdie putt and won a skin on the hole.
2. 9i 161: Par 5 hole, not a great drive, hit a 3i to about 161. Hit the 9i a little thin and pulled it left. Ended up being just short of pin high but on the lip of the greenside bunker.
3. 6i 186: Pulled the shot to the left. It is always my miss on this hole. I fear the water to the right. I had great contact but came over the top and pulled it about 10 yards left.
4. 5i 207: Long par 3, plan was to plan it on the front of the green and chase it to the back pin. Hit a very nice shot, exactly how I wanted. Unfortunately it did not chase back. It hit and stopped after 10ft of roll.
5. 7i 176: Straight into the wind. Pin was middle right guarded by a bunker. Aimed for the middle of the green. Hit another good iron shot and landed it in the middle of the green about 16ft away from the hole just short of pin high.
6: 4i 190: Par 5, laid up too far to the left off the tee, hit a pure 7i for my layup but didn’t get it high enough to clear the last branch. Hit the branch and went straight up in the air and kicked left. I was 190 away behind a tree, played a low hook punch around the tree the chased up to the front of the green. Left me a 25ft putt for a birdie chance.
7: 7i 172: Into the wind, blind shot from the right rough. Could not go directly at the pin because of trees. Hit a very nice shot that landed just left of the green.
8: 7i 180: Par 3, pin back left. Tried to play a shot to chase. Once again the shot was headed right at the pin but did not chase towards the pin. Landed front-middle and about 28ft away.
9: 3i 211: Front right pin. Had to fly it all the way there to avoid trouble. Actually hit it too well. Flew it about 220. And ended up on the back of the green.
10: PW 136: Had a very good drive that left me in perfect position. Unfortunately I hit it a little thin and pushed it to the right. Ended up pin high right next to a bunker off the green.
11. No irons used
12. 6i 190. Par 5, hit a nice layup shot exactly where I wanted.
13. 9i 154. Another slight thin/push to the right. Ended up in the right greenside bunker just short of pin high.
14: 8i 163: Hit a very nice shot here. Slightly into the wind, hole located on the shallow left side of the green. Aimed about 15ft right of the pin and that is where in landed.
15: 7i 175: Caught the 7i a little too flush. Flew the flag by about 8 yards. Ended up back right off green.
16: No irons used
17: 6i 192: Par 3, a little against the wind. Flushed a 6i. Played it just left of the flag but the wind did not bring it back. Ended up pin high just off the right of the green.
18: 3i 220: Probably the worst iron shot of the day. Hit a little chunk 3i to the right. Ended up about 30 yards short. With other clubs I think I would of ended up much worse.

Overall:
I was very happy with the way the irons performed for me. I had a few thin/pushes but they didn’t kill me. I ended up shooting an 88 but mainly because my wedge game was horrible and my putts would not fall(34). I hit 7/18 GIR but my misses were just off the green. For being as tired as I was I am very happy with this round. I hope to play 9 holes tonight in the cold/damp conditions.
dude you are half man half animal.
what is your secret to phenomenal distances?

dude you are half man half animal.
what is your secret to phenomenal distances?

I have no clue. This is the best distances I have ever gotten from irons. What I love is I don't have to try to swing hard with these. Actually when I try to swing hard is when I usually end up hitting them thin. The CFS shafts are just beasts.

formerly butters35

After reading all the threads on the I-20 irons, I am still confused about something. So you guys are saying you like these irons?

After reading all the threads on the I-20 irons, I am still confused about something. So you guys are saying you like these irons?

I'm kind of a big fan. I wish I could relay how good they really are for me.

Seriously,I am starting to think all you guys have to do is drive the cart to the ball and the I-20 irons will swing themselves. Has there been any other club or irons that have had this many positive reviews?

Well gents, I have good news. Although I have only posted in this thread 10 or so times, I read it probably 15+ times a day (literally...maybe more) and leave depressed every time because I don't really have the money for new irons. I'm a recent college grad with too many bills to pay, and an entry level Analyst job, but I can't stand my MP37's anymore (I've wanted to ditch them for 3+ years, just never have had the cash). PING is coming to The Ohio State Golf Course May 3rd with the Tour Van for a Demo Day....it's fate. I took a half day at work that day, and I will be getting fit for them. I'm either going to order them then, or take my specs and look for them cheaper online somewhere. So, long story short, pretty soon I won't have to leave the thread depressed anymore, I'll be able to share in the joy with everyone else and post my thoughts up.

My girlfriend always asks me what I'm reading about when I'm on here and I always say "the irons I can't afford", in a couple of weeks I'll be able to say "my irons" :banana:. I am super pumped. I'm like a little kid when it comes to getting new stuff (even something as little as new golf shoes I made a huge deal out of when I got them a month or so ago...I slept with them beside my bed), especially now that I'm on my own and on a budget, so I'll be beyond overjoyed here in a couple of weeks. Decent chance my girlfriend will lose her bed spot to the i20's for a couple nights (not serious). Hopefully I can return the favor to you all for your great reviews with some decent personal insight of my own.

Well gents, I have good news. Although I have only posted in this thread 10 or so times, I read it probably 15+ times a day (literally...maybe more) and leave depressed every time because I don't really have the money for new irons. I'm a recent college grad with too many bills to pay, and an entry level Analyst job, but I can't stand my MP37's anymore (I've wanted to ditch them for 3+ years, just never have had the cash). PING is coming to The Ohio State Golf Course May 3rd with the Tour Van for a Demo Day....it's fate. I took a half day at work that day, and I will be getting fit for them. I'm either going to order them then, or take my specs and look for them cheaper online somewhere. So, long story short, pretty soon I won't have to leave the thread depressed anymore, I'll be able to share in the joy with everyone else and post my thoughts up.

My girlfriend always asks me what I'm reading about when I'm on here and I always say "the irons I can't afford", in a couple of weeks I'll be able to say "my irons" :banana:. I am super pumped. I'm like a little kid when it comes to getting new stuff (even something as little as new golf shoes I made a huge deal out of when I got them a month or so ago...I slept with them beside my bed), especially now that I'm on my own and on a budget, so I'll be beyond overjoyed here in a couple of weeks. Decent chance my girlfriend will lose her bed spot to the i20's for a couple nights (not serious). Hopefully I can return the favor to you all for your great reviews with some decent personal insight of my own.

That is great. I bought the G-20 irons ( still being shipped) because I only shoot between 86-106. I do know these are the best irons for me right now, but I feel the I-20's are a better iron. I have a goal to get my handicap down to a 10 and WHEN I do, I will look at these irons AND try to play on the THP Morgan Cup.

That is great. I bought the G-20 irons ( still being shipped) because I only shoot between 86-106. I do know these are the best irons for me right now, but I feel the I-20's are a better iron. I have a goal to get my handicap down to a 10 and WHEN I do, I will look at these irons AND try to play on the THP Morgan Cup.

Absolutely, man. To be honest, I'm looking forward to having a little more room for error with these...these damn forged blades are a pain in the...

The i20's seem like a match made in heaven for me. I have 2 misses - 1) towards the toe a bit, evidence in the picture below and 2) a little thick, as I hit down on the ball very aggressively and take monster divots, evidence in the other picture below from a medium bucket. I think these irons might be PERFECT for me.

2m5jgcl.jpg

sdk4zr.jpg

Absolutely, man. To be honest, I'm looking forward to having a little more room for error with these...these damn forged blades are a pain in the...

The i20's seem like a match made in heaven for me. I have 2 misses - 1) towards the toe a bit, evidence in the picture below and 2) a little thick, as I hit down on the ball very aggressively and take monster divots, evidence in the other picture below from a medium bucket. I think these irons might be PERFECT for me.

2m5jgcl.jpg

sdk4zr.jpg

You have the same two misses I do and these have been great for me. Do I still catch a few thick? Yes but the results are more playable. Toe shots are almost as far as a center struck shot.

Seriously,I am starting to think all you guys have to do is drive the cart to the ball and the I-20 irons will swing themselves. Has there been any other club or irons that have had this many positive reviews?

I was pondering this today at work actually. The Mashie is all that comes to mind, others might be able to recall better.

I had pretty decent round today, decent only because the i20's savesd my arse from the HORRIBLE tee game that I only got to come around on the last two holes...I'm talking the 5i got its first true workout for me lol. Should have a pretty good little write up tomorrow.

You have the same two misses I do and these have been great for me. Do I still catch a few thick? Yes but the results are more playable. Toe shots are almost as far as a center struck shot.

That's all I can ask for. These next couple weeks can't pass by soon enough...at least it gives me more time to sell a few more things to fund them, haha.

That's all I can ask for. These next couple weeks can't pass by soon enough...at least it gives me more time to sell a few more things to fund them, haha.

Haha well mine took about 10 days to come in so you may not have as much time as you think. What shafts did you go with? Sorry I may be skimming here.

Haha well mine took about 10 days to come in so you may not have as much time as you think. What shafts did you go with? Sorry I may be skimming here.

Going to the local PING demo day on May 3rd to get fit (see my book above haha)...my initial guess is C-Tapers X soft stepped, but I want to give the CFS X a look too (I feel it deserves a chance) and any other option, really. Whatever gives the best numbers and feel, I'm sold.

Inhart...the wear on my forged irons is the main reason I decided not to buy forged again. I hope I play these irons for at least 5 years and my MP clubs would be worn out in that time frame. I played Eye2 s for 15 years so I know these will last. The wear issue folks are talking about on here is crazy. I have the darker finish and it is wearing down but no issue with the club. I had G10s that had the same finish and it wore off the same.

Can't remember a better 4i. I actually hit it a couple times during a weekend nine even though it wasn't the right club just because I could LOL

After weeks of reading this forum daily, I am happy to announce I placed my order for my i20's! :banana:Did another quick session after work today with my fitter to make the final call on shaft choice. Going 4-UW in CFS stiff. Can't wait to get them! Thanks for all the great info on this forum and to those who provided me some opinions on shafts. Cheers!

Congrats. Pretty sure you will be very happy with these.

After weeks of reading this forum daily, I am happy to announce I placed my order for my i20's! :banana:Did another quick session after work today with my fitter to make the final call on shaft choice. Going 4-UW in CFS stiff. Can't wait to get them! Thanks for all the great info on this forum and to those who provided me some opinions on shafts. Cheers!

Congrats!
White rock eh? Where did you do the fitting?

I have i20 irons ordered and they should be here this week. Kbs tour shafts. Also ordered driver fairway and hybrid. Guess I have an i20 bag this year

Geez, this is nuts. Half the golfers on the planet will soon be gaming these....

Back