Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Bought Di11's 5 - SW Sunday morning. Driving range in the afternoon, 18 holes Monday morning and the same again this morning. I love my Wilson Staff Spine Driver, so considered their irons. Read this forum and went for it. Two games in i'm not sure if i've made the right decision, i've thinned a few shots that have cost me dearly but i've had my old irons for 4 years so should it be an immediate total improvement? I've hit some excellant shots with them but it's the mishits that cost you dearly. Anyway i'll try and use them everyday (it's a hard life this semi retirement) and report back.

Whenever you get new irons, there will be a breaking in period - for me it was because of the added length of the shaft (it's a half inch longer than standard with all Di11s that are off of the shelf). I hit shots thin, I hit them fat. There are some misses on this club that will definitely penalize you (bladed and thin shots, as well as fat shots). The forgiveness in these irons is across the face for me - I tend to miss towards the toe, and I see little distance loss due to the wider face that Wilson puts in their irons. Smooth swings are rewarded most (not necessarily slow swings). Things will get better after more range sessions and rounds usually. Were you fit for these, if I may ask?

Bought Di11's 5 - SW Sunday morning. Driving range in the afternoon, 18 holes Monday morning and the same again this morning. I love my Wilson Staff Spine Driver, so considered their irons. Read this forum and went for it. Two games in i'm not sure if i've made the right decision, i've thinned a few shots that have cost me dearly but i've had my old irons for 4 years so should it be an immediate total improvement? I've hit some excellant shots with them but it's the mishits that cost you dearly. Anyway i'll try and use them everyday (it's a hard life this semi retirement) and report back.

Took me a few trips to the range before I was really nailing these man. Once you get the adjustments for the added length down, these irons are money

Got my irons in the mail today. Love the looks of them. Curious about the "fat-shaft." Weather is supposed to be good tomorrow for March in Nebraska, but, have to work until 2pm. So, I'm going to try to play a few holes or hit the range after. Will be anxious to see how the work out. As far as the extra length on the shaft goes, are some of you choosing to choke down on the club to make up for it? I think I already tend to already do this more than most people anyways. Also, I noticed on the lofts that these irons are 3 to 4 degrees stronger than my old G2's, so I'm guessing that's where a little of the distance increase comes into play. I wish I would have had the option of getting the 5-sw instead of 4-gw. Thanks.

Got my irons in the mail today. Love the looks of them. Curious about the "fat-shaft." Weather is supposed to be good tomorrow for March in Nebraska, but, have to work until 2pm. So, I'm going to try to play a few holes or hit the range after. Will be anxious to see how the work out. As far as the extra length on the shaft goes, are some of you choosing to choke down on the club to make up for it? I think I already tend to already do this more than most people anyways. Also, I noticed on the lofts that these irons are 3 to 4 degrees stronger than my old G2's, so I'm guessing that's where a little of the distance increase comes into play. I wish I would have had the option of getting the 5-sw instead of 4-gw. Thanks.

I didn't choose to choke down, just because that half inch longer shaft is what I am fit for anyway. It will take some getting used to, for sure, but these are money when you click with them. I'd suggest a range session first, as these might take a bit to get used to. It was the case with me. As far as the fat shaft, it's supposed to cut down on the head-twisting on off-center (especially toe) hits, so that your distance loss isn't as great and the direction isn't as wild.

And you WILL get a distance increase when you hit them well. These things are LONG.

Hi guys, just wanted to share my experience today with these great clubs at a four person Ambrose competition I put my 5 iron in the bag today and removed the 5 hybrid. What a great move! Had a couple of great shots but the best was a 193 yard par 3... Perfect swing and it landed about an inch off the back of the green. Whilst I probably should have hit a 6, the feeling of the 5 was just so crisp it felt amazing. Anyway I just thought I'd share. Oh and I won the long drive competition today, but that's another story...

I was the same when I got mine - could hardly hit a decent shot and thought I might have wasted a load of money. Took me a few range sessions to get used to the extra length (I'd been using hand-me-down standard lengths and these were +0.5" to the Di11 standard), but now I love them. I know that any bad shot is definitely me and I can't blame the clubs. :act-up:

If you have never tried any of the Wilson clubs with the oversized tip diameter shafts, you should be able to notice that the clubhead is more stable when hitting out of the rough. I like the 0.45 tip diameter of these vs. the 0.50 tip diameter of the old Fat Shaft models. The old 0.50 shafts seemed too big on the short irons.

I live in Michigan, so its a long winter here. I finally got out yesterday for the first time this year. I was hitting these irons great, I had one shot from about 155 yards that I put to about 3 ft. of the cup. I was extremely excited about how good my ball striking was, especially for the first time out. If only my putting had been better I would of had a great round. I shot an 84. It was a great way to start the year.

I like the wedges for this set so much that I was thinking about getting the sand wedge also. Has anyone gotten one, and how do you like it?

I like the wedges for this set so much that I was thinking about getting the sand wedge also. Has anyone gotten one, and how do you like it?
Wish I could help you out, but I do know that the AW in this set was possibly my favorite club in the set. I loved that club.

I've been following this thread for months and months and from all of the reviews from THPers here, the Di11s have taken the lead in my search for irons. Now just one question: what shaft is everyone going with and which shaft is geared to what type of player? I have always had stiff flex if that helps!
Thanks.

I am playing the standard Uniflex shaft that comes with the irons and it is working great for my game.

I've been following this thread for months and months and from all of the reviews from THPers here, the Di11s have taken the lead in my search for irons. Now just one question: what shaft is everyone going with and which shaft is geared to what type of player? I have always had stiff flex if that helps!
Thanks.

When I had my Di11s I went with the standard uniflex steel shaft. I usually game stiff shafts in my irons and woods, but the uniflex was definitely enough shaft for me. It also doesn't launch the ball as high as the half/half shafts that are available (Still a high ball flight though).

Nate - Thanks for the info. I see you're gaming the ci11s now. Why the change if you don't mind me asking? Anything major between the two sets that pulled you from one to the other? Thank you very much.

I'm still gaming my Di 11's with the half and half shaft, still loving them

Nate - Thanks for the info. I see you're gaming the ci11s now. Why the change if you don't mind me asking? Anything major between the two sets that pulled you from one to the other? Thank you very much.

Other than the looks (I really liked the Di11s, but the Ci's are SOOOO sexy) the Ci11s have a slightly sharper leading edge, which interacts with the turf a bit more aggressively. Im a digger of the ball, so that helps me get through the turf a bit more on tight lies. Forgiveness is just slightly less, but is definitely noticeable on off center hits. I also like the slightly lower ball flight, especially when playing in the wind. I can play punch shots and knockdowns a bit easier with these than the Di's (not that I couldn't play those shots with the Di's, but they just want to go high and straight). I can also see these being very versatile in terms of shot shaping down the line as well.

I was very glad to game the Di11s, and they definitely helped me with my confidence with my ballstriking.

Thanks.
I think I'm going with the di11s. I found a set on the bay for a almost too good to be true price, but will do a bit more research.
As for shafts - going to go with the uniflex steel as my mp30s were s300s. I'm pretty excited about these and hope along with my improved swing, low scores will come at some point!

I am switching from the Di11's to something else soon also. Reason for me is that the stock Uniflex shafts got to be a little loose for me and I had to really think about slowing down my swing and it just felt unnatural. This was a result of my SS getting much faster than last year. They are awesome irons and if I could switch out the shafts I would because the heads are fantastic.

do these irons only come with a fat type shaft?

run,

Reading earlier in this thread , you can special order a stiff flex shaft from Wilson should you choose to go that route .....I may be wrong , but this may work for you ....Good Luck ....Jim

BTW ....I will be recieving a set of the all Graphite shafts ......I have not seen a review of these , and have not hit them .....The price is right , and this is a crap shoot for me ...... I'll post my findings .....Jim

Sooooo, i've been trawling through all the golf club review threads and came across this one. Having read more or less every page and seeing a really reasonably priced set on the bay, i decided to pull the trigger. It's tough finding reasonably priced lefty clubs you know!!

They come with 1/2 and 1/2 shafts and are 0.5" short which (after some measurements) suit me just fine. Delivery tomorrow..

I'm a relative beginner, but been playing 12 years, so its going to be interesting to see if these will help my game over my old clubs (old cavity back MacGregor DX). If any of you here would like more pictures or comparisons i'll be more than happy.

Excited, you bet!!!!

AAAAnd i'm nearly at 10 posts so i can post a siggy!! :banana:

There heeeeeeeere!!!! That was less than 24hrs from placing the order.

Initial impressions.. Compared to my current irons they look a lot more substantial. The half and half shafts looked odd, but still classy.

Best of all they are really shiny!!! lol

I'll be testing them on the range tomorrow.

I'm grinning from ear to ear! :D

Just got my all graphite Di11's !!.....OMG !!.....These are the nicesest looking set of clubs I have ever seen in my life !!......Talk about dead SEXY !!...... The grip is black with red and white graphics , then down to the Proforce graphics in red and white on a black background, then a short Silver border , that goes down to a Candy Apple Red shaft that meets the heads .....The Red matches the red in the graphics , and also matches the red on the Wilson emblem on the chrome heads ..... I'm affraid to get these irons dirty !!...... I normally hit a Regular shaft , and have a slower SS , so I will let you guys know when I get back from the range today .......If these irons hit well I will sell off other sets that I have and buy another backup set for the future ..... I am only golfing for a year , so the higher lofts will help me ..The deals that can be found on these clubs are too good to pass up at this point .... Jim

To Toff74 and Synthnut, it's great to see you making the decision to get these clubs. I got mine last year and have never regretted the decision. I'd never been able to hit anything longer than a 7i before, but I'm loving the 5 and 6 irons in this set. Also, the gap wedge is my go to club at 100 yds out and I just love that thing. Hope you guys have a great time with them.

Back