Bubba Watson Skipping The Players

Your right. Truth is, I dont have a problem with anybody skipping anything. It is their life to do with what they please. I just found the reasoning interesting is all. You just adopted a new child which is amazing and want to be with your family...Great. I think that is wonderful, but why play the Masters? Why play and defend the Zurich? Why not take those times off?

Nobody owes me an explanation, but I do find that as soon as players get to a certain level on tour, their schedule shrinks like crazy and they no longer consider giving back to the same tour that gave them the ability to stay home. Just my thought at times and certainly a generalization.

I can see you point and agree that since the tour gave him the ability and financial stability to be able to adopt and stay home that he should owe them some loyalty. Too soon to see if he will continue to have the incredible shrinking schedule like TW, could be the smell of dirty diapers will drive him back out on tour sooner than he expects

The smell of Tiger's dirty diapers? Because he crapped himself again today.

Kevin

You never know what's going on privately with the new baby, or his wife's sanity caring for a baby solo while her husband is out working, so it's hard to criticize. Babies are a lot of work and I'll bet he actually cares that his wife has been doing all the work and losing sleep. I'm not going to criticize him for being a stand up guy. Plus, he's worked hard at something and has become successful enough at it that he can afford to stay home and just be a Dad. Not easy in today's world- good for him.

You never know what's going on privately with the new baby, or his wife's sanity caring for a baby solo while her husband is out working, so it's hard to criticize. Babies are a lot of work and I'll bet he actually cares that his wife has been doing all the work and losing sleep. I'm not going to criticize him for being a stand up guy. Plus, he's worked hard at something and has become successful enough at it that he can afford to stay home and just be a Dad. Not easy in today's world- good for him.
Ya I imagine it's easier to go play golf when everyone is happy about the arrival of a little one and the wife is over the moon about it. Fast forward 4 weeks and the complete exhaustion sets in and it's a different story. Who knows what's going on a home but I think it's too quick to make any judgements on his schedule.

I can't help but think if he had not won the masters he would be playing.

Your right. Truth is, I dont have a problem with anybody skipping anything. It is their life to do with what they please. I just found the reasoning interesting is all. You just adopted a new child which is amazing and want to be with your family...Great. I think that is wonderful, but why play the Masters? Why play and defend the Zurich? Why not take those times off?

Nobody owes me an explanation, but I do find that as soon as players get to a certain level on tour, their schedule shrinks like crazy and they no longer consider giving back to the same tour that gave them the ability to stay home. Just my thought at times and certainly a generalization.
As a fan, I'm with you and the rest, I want to see him out there each week, playing on the weekends and trying to win tournaments. Tiger, Phil, Rory, Lee, Bubba, all of them. I want to see the best of the best play. Having a child, or adopting a child, is probably the best and biggest thing to have ever happened to myself, others on this board and I'm guessing Bubba now. I think only time will tell if Bubba is still in it to win it or has he reached his glory in golf and is ready to move on to other things. He says he still loves the game even more now. We'll see. The father in me loves it that he's taking time with his family to enjoy this wonderful moment even if he played the Masters and went and defended his championship. I took 4 weeks off with the birth of each of my girls.....let's see how long he takes.

I just get the impression that Bubba doesn't like playing "tournament" golf all that much. I don't think we will see much more than the bare minimum from him as per the PGA, ever. Especially now that his card status is exempt for four years.

He may be trying to focus on the European Tour by playing in Asia. (that may have been an epic skim)

I'm glad he has his priorities right. My father used to have a job with an elite football team and with all the travel they did I barely saw him 8 months of the year until he retired. It does affect a kids upbringing. Plus he just won the masters, why should he have to prove himself again.

I said a tap tap tappity tap

Ya I imagine it's easier to go play golf when everyone is happy about the arrival of a little one and the wife is over the moon about it. Fast forward 4 weeks and the complete exhaustion sets in and it's a different story. Who knows what's going on a home but I think it's too quick to make any judgements on his schedule.
This is right on I think. I have two young daughters. The first month or two is all excitement. Then the sleepless nights start to set in. That's why you could go the week of. But not now

This is one of the great things about being a pro golfer. You get to set your schedule and do what's best for you and your family. As a fan I want to see them all every week, but it's just not feasible.

anybody else see momma and poppa watson sitting courtside for the magic-pacers game last night

Sometimes folks have reasons that they would not like to have open to the public. This could be a personal matter that weights much heavier than a golf tournament. A smaller comparison but with equal justifications, look at all the people who had to withdraw from our THP outing this month. I am sure the majority if not all of them, would have much rather not had to cancel but due to some unforeseen circumstance, they had to pull the plug. Just saying.......

They just ran a piece on Bubba ala Rich 'do that' Lerner. Nice fluff piece and it made me wonder. I'm I being to harsh on the surly mood I have witnessed from Bubba on the course? I mean the guy does everything I wold want a guy to do, plays well, signs autographs, has faith, is about family and seems to be very genuine. So he mutters and loses his temp now and again. Am I being too harsh?

Yeah I was little surprised. Seems like golf isn't number 1 on his list.

Yeah I was little surprised. Seems like golf isn't number 1 on his list.

Well when you've just adopted a new child, don't think anyone is going to say he is in the wrong with his priorities.

They just ran a piece on Bubba ala Rich 'do that' Lerner. Nice fluff piece and it made me wonder. I'm I being to harsh on the surly mood I have witnessed from Bubba on the course? I mean the guy does everything I wold want a guy to do, plays well, signs autographs, has faith, is about family and seems to be very genuine. So he mutters and loses his temp now and again. Am I being too harsh?

I root hard for Bubba, he does have a few issues with his temper but he does admit it and does seem genuinely apologetic about it. I think seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. Not sure any athlete or golfer has it all without a little something that they could do better. The fact that you say this should tell you all you need to know about whether you're being too harsh on him in my opinion. Hop on the Bubba train with me Freddie!

I root hard for Bubba, he does have a few issues with his temper but he does admit it and does seem genuinely apologetic about it. I think seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. Not sure any athlete or golfer has it all without a little something that they could do better. The fact that you say this should tell you all you need to know about whether you're being too harsh on him in my opinion. Hop on the Bubba train with me Freddie!

There is an opening in the Kong golfers to root for since TW was evicted

There is an opening in the Kong golfers to root for since TW was evicted

Haha! Bubba is an intriguing guy to follow, he's all over the map at times and other times he's on fire. He's never boring that's for sure!

Boring and Bubba don't go together

Am I being too harsh?

You know I'm going to say no! I don't have a problem with people having a temper or muttering at all, but I suspect your problem with him might be the same as mine - it's when it directly affects his playing partners and there's no respect shown to others.

Anyway, I've said it enough times. He has the right to choose his schedule and when he's a new father I can forgive it easily. Time will tell if he decides that he wants to give back to the tour and the fans, or if he does a Tiger and disappears.

When those that are fortunate enough to reach the pinnacle of a sport (Masters), every decision they make becomes criticized; either positive or negative. No answer you give will satisfy all. In the end he's just a man with a wife and new baby, I think we should just leave it at that.

I wish he would play but family comes first no matter what and I respect his decision a lot.

I can only base things on a gut feeling from what I have seen and read and the guy just seems like a show plate. Sure he has game or he wouldn't still be out there, but I struggle with people who look for the camera as hard as he does. I hear everyone, the pour ADD kid with a new child, new 50,000 watch, new Dukes of Hazard car and hot athlete wife. We get to see them all plenty often.

Back