I mentioned this in another thread... I take my cycling Camelbak. It holds 72 oz - I fill it with ice, water and then slide a small Gatorade into the carrier against the bladder. Started this last July/August when I first started learning golf and the temps here were 100-110 for 2 months.

spazzdog

Oi, I never thought of that, that is brilliant!

Two things I do:
1. Rub ice on your wrist, immediate cooling process
2. Ice cold water on the back off your nexk

Yes, the rule of thumb is to stay hydrated. The Nuun electrolyte tablets are amazing in this regard. If it were really hot and I was playing a round, I'd drink a full bottle of water with the Nuun before the round, then continue drinking another bottle with Nuun during.

I drink a lot of water, and play as fast as I can.

Lots of Gatorade and hit golf ball to the shade'

Well I am home, it wasnt to bad. My shirt is soaked we walked so I only did 9 holes. Played with a 63 year old.

Two things I do:
1. Rub ice on your wrist, immediate cooling process
2. Ice cold water on the back off your nexk

Funny Tadashi... Same steps work for menopausal hot flashes :)

spazzdog

On real hot days I will also bring a couple small towels that I can dunk in the ice chest water and then wrap around my neck. I would imagine you are riding so after each hole, drape the cold towel and ride to the next hole. You'd be surprised how much it drops your temp. Also keep the beers til after the round, you will have earned em!

I also play three gloves as I get them pretty sweaty.

I have a friend that brings a small 6-pack cooler with a quart or-so of water w. ice cubes. In this, he puts a few ounces of spirits of ammonia. the washrags get super cold and have a lemony smell. every couple of holes, put a cold washrag on your head and wipe down your neck. very refreshing. he says this is an old trick he learned in summer softball leagues

Use common sense, mostly.

1. Sunscreen. I don't personally use it because I don't burn easily, but I should, and for anybody with a fairer complexion, it is a must.
2. Water. I prefer my water to be cool, but not cold or iced. Consume it, don't just sip it. You need to replace lost fluids.
3. Shade. I walk, and I stick to the sides of the fairways where there are trees.
4. Clothing. Lightweight fibers are very helpful, but if you wear cotton, make sure it is a lighter weave with a bright, light color.
5. Hat. I wear a full brimmed hat (think bucket hat) from Columbia. It is very, very light, very breathable, and protects my head from the harshest of rays.

My course is heavily tree lined, so I always go out of my way to walk in the shade. As well, I have 2-710ml water bottles. I'll drink one before starting, then both during the front, drink another at the turn, and have them again on the back. Yes, that means I drink over 4L of water on a really hot day (over 30°C/302K/~90 fake degrees). It's really bad here because it's nearly always very humid too :(. On a regular day, I'll make sure I drink the bottles at least once each just b/c dehydration is amazingly easy to have. As well, on hot days I also try to dress lightly, and will sometimes even wear my Vibram 5-fingers just b/c of how cool they are for my feet.

I bought one of these at a crafts festival in March, I am carrying it with me to the Outing to give it's initial trial run.

They work great DD in the heat it's instant relive and last for quite a while.

This is a brand that's a little cheaper that I use at work.
I could try to order to have for the outing not sure how fast they ship. any interest?

http://chillitsonline.com/index.php

Yes, the rule of thumb is to stay hydrated. The Nuun electrolyte tablets are amazing in this regard. If it were really hot and I was playing a round, I'd drink a full bottle of water with the Nuun before the round, then continue drinking another bottle with Nuun during.

+1 Same here. I find the Nuun helps a lot with hydration. The key is drink it before the round.

Man, it was stupid humid today when we started. I would've loved to have a little Nuun with me today or something like that.

I really need to check into these Nuun tablets. This is the first year heat/humidity ever really bothered me, but everyone is seeing it here lately.

I live in hot, sunny So Fla. To help with the heat & humity i wear a wide brim or bucket hat, use two towels 1 for cleaning clubs the other to dry off my hands' & use 3-4 gloves during the round. I wear light clothing and use a long sleeve white cool max shirt because I don't use sun block except for my nneck, nose, & ears. I also drink plenty of fluids. Water & Propel. Also Sa Pelagrimo is great too!

You need some salt in you as well. Helps with cramps, etc. Water is great but you need more than that.

You need some salt in you as well. Helps with cramps, etc. Water is great but you need more than that.

I agree, thus the bottle of Gatorade I stash in the Camelbac. I also carry Clif Shot Blocks, a kind of gummy bear like chewy thing which has salt. They go in with the Gatorade so they stay cool (they'd melt if I stuck them in outside pack pocket).

spazzdog

P.S. basically if I used it for running or cycling, I use it for golf. Dehydration is dehydration...

since we're not in the NUUN sponsored thread I'll say it here

Hammer nutrition endurolyte fizz tablets have a much less offensive taste (they taste close to nothing, the grapefruit ones have just the slightest hint of flavor)

the hammer tabs are also cheaper, and have more tablets per tube (13 vs 12 tabs, $5 a tube vs $6.50 a tube)

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-HEF13.html

another product that really works to help stay cool are these "arm coolers", keeping the sun off you does help you stay fresh, and these coolers are not BS, they work (just don't get the black ones, duh!)
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-PISUNS.html#

Staying hydrated....,.

Staying hydrated....,.

Anyone have any secrets for staying hydrated? I played a 1 man scramble today and drank water the entire round but still struggled the last few holes with dehydration. It was approx 98 degrees but humidity was really high. I always try to bring a banana or some other light snack and drink water constantly but lately I've still gotten weak, shakes, and light headed during last few holes. Just wanting to know how others handle the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An important part of it isn't just the day of, but doing enough to prepare yourself ahead of time. You really need to constantly be drinking water 1-2 days before. You can never have enough water.

read up on the Nuun drink tablets in the search function

Back