text size
plus.jpg

minus.jpg

fb.png

tweet.png

share.png

email.png

May. 4, 2012

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- With the passing of today's 5 p.m. ET commitment deadline, the field is set for the 39th installment of THE PLAYERS with 145 of the world's best players ready to challenge THE PLAYERS Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass, May 7-13. If not otherwise qualified, only the winner of this week's Wells Fargo Championship on the PGA TOUR can gain entry into the deepest field in professional golf. The 145-player field features 29 of the top 30 in the current FedExCup points list and nine of the top 10 in the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR). Masters champion Bubba Watson, who is No. 2 in the FedExCup standings and No. 4 in the OWGR, announced earlier this week he would not play in order to spend more time with his wife and baby son.
The field features 10 past champions of THE PLAYERS, including defending champion K.J. Choi, Phil Mickelson(2007), who will be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame on Monday, May 7, Tiger Woods (2001) and Sergio Garcia (2008). Watson is the only 2012 PGA TOUR winner who is not competing, while 40 of 43 PGA TOUR winners since THE PLAYERS 2011 are in the field (Darren Clarke -- British Open, Dustin Johnson -- The Barclays).
Of the 145 players in the field, 52 were born outside of the United States (19 countries represented) and will look to continue the trend of success by international competitors at THE PLAYERS. Each of the last four winners of THE PLAYERS and seven of the last 10, dating to 2002, were born outside of the United States. The last six winners of THE PLAYERS have been from six different countries, the longest such streak of any event on TOUR.
For the second consecutive year, Australia leads the way with 10 players in the field, including 2004 PLAYERS champion Adam Scott. England checks in next with seven players, highlighted by Transitions Championship winnerLuke Donald and Justin Rose, who won the World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship. Choi is one of six Koreans in the field, while South Africa also has six players competing, including 2010 PLAYERS champion Tim Clarkand Ernie Els, who finished runner-up last week at the Zurich Classic of New Orleans. Carl Pettersson, winner of the RBC Heritage in April, and 2009 PLAYERS champion Henrik Stenson are among the five players from Sweden in the field. Argentina, Canada, Northern Ireland and Spain each have two players in the field while Colombia, Fiji, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Scotland, Venezuela and Zimbabwe all have one.
Scott Stallings, who won the 2011 Greenbrier Classic, Waste Management Phoenix Open champion Kyle Stanley and Mayakoba Golf Classic champion John Huh headline a group of 16 players making their first appearance at THE PLAYERS. Also included in the group are Korea's Sang-Moon Bae and Sung Kang, England's Simon Dyson and Canadians David Hearn and Graham DeLaet. Jacksonville native Bud Cauley and Jacksonville Beach resident Matt Every are joined by fellow Americans Harris English (St. Simons Island, Ga.), J.J. Killeen, Colt Knost, David Mathis,Michael Thompson and Cameron Tringale. The first-timers will gather in the media center for their annual press conference at 10:30 a.m. ET on Wednesday, May 9.
Past champion Fred Couples, who won THE PLAYERS in 1984 and 1996, is the oldest player in the field at the age of 52 years, 4 months and 7 days (as of May 7). Couples earned an invitation to THE PLAYERS by virtue of winning the 2011 Constellation SENIOR PLAYERS Championship on the Champions Tour. He is making his first start at TPC Sawgrass since 2009 and the 27th of his career. On the opposite end of the spectrum, John Huh is the youngest player in the field at the age of 21 years, 11 months and 16 days (as of May 7) and will be making his first start at TPC Sawgrass.
A total of 147 players qualified for THE PLAYERS in 2012. The following players qualified but are not participating:Thomas Bjorn (DEN), Darren Clarke (NIR), Paul Goydos (USA), Anders Hansen (DEN), Dustin Johnson (USA),Anthony Kim (USA), K.T. Kim (KOR), Paul Lawrie (SCO), Steve Marino (USA), Charl Schwartzel (ZAF) and Bubba Watson (USA). In order to fill the field to 144 players (Fred Couples is an addition to the field and does not count towards the 144), the following players qualified via their ranking in the current FedExCup standings: Matt Every (USA), Bud Cauley (USA), Colt Knost (USA), Ken Duke (USA), John Mallinger (USA), Harris English (USA), Graham DeLaet (CAN) and Jeff Maggert (USA).
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FIELD LIST
Should the winner of this week's Wells Fargo Championship not already be in the field for THE PLAYERS, they would qualify and Maggert would become the first alternate.
Tickets to THE PLAYERS Championship 2012 are still available and can be purchased at First Coast Publix Super Markets locations, at TPC Sawgrass, online at www.PGATOUR.COM/theplayers and via telephone by calling Ticketmaster at (888) 401-8000. The Family Plan is also available at local Daily's convenience store.

I know this is day early but my buddy just called and invited me to Thursday Round of the Players. Very pumped and will of course have plenty of pics and videos of the day.

The tourney this week isn't even finished yet but I'm very excited for this. I really hope there's some Sunday drama around #17. Lee is looking good right now so he could have a good chance. If he can putt even a little.

Edit: have a great time Tad! Should be an awesome experience!

I have tickets for wednesday and friday. I cant wait!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Have fun Freddy and Rvick, this would be a great one to attend for sure.

Awesome to hear we have a a few THPer's going. Enjoy guys.

Always look forward to the Players. Think we'll see someone who has already won this year, win the Players this year. Not sure why, just have a feeling.

I predict another Tiger missed cut...

Jeez, I am inclined to agree with you. He's been open in the past about this course and how he isn't fond of it.

I think Tigger will be in contention then dunk one on 17. That would be funny.

I think he makes the cut but even his "A" game is going to be tested from here on in. I think he knows he's out of wd's and tantrums too.

I predict lots of other players.

Nice to see some THP'ers making it to this one. I always enjoy watching this tourney.

Flying into J'Ville on Sat AM and watching the w/e rounds. SWEET!

One of my classmates works at TPC Sawgrass. Im sure he will be having one heck of a week! He's very excited.

Looking forward to this event for sure...I love sawgrass, bucket list course to play I even have a 12X18 picture hanging up in my office of 17, along with 4 more, 2 of which I will never be able to play but they just look so good in my office :)

Tiger will be in the weekend he'll never allow a back to back MC, But I would love to see DJ or Rory get a W this weekend, haven't seen DJ on the top of the leaderboard for a while now...would like to see that again

I went there last year, also.

If you buy something in the proshop, you get a receipt that includes a coupon "$100 off your next round at TPC Sawgrass".

I'll be there on Thursday & my work has a chalet on the 17th. Awwww yea

Have fun Freddy and Rvick, this would be a great one to attend for sure.

Thanks! I try to go every year. I have been every year since 2007. I was on the front row of the grandstands on 18 that year and saw Phil Mickelson make his putt to win! It was really neat. I also went a lot through high school as well with my Dad and younger brothers. That was back when the tourney wasn't as big as it is now and my golf idols were: Paul Azinger, Fred Couples, Corey Pavin, the late Payne Stewart, Greg Norman, Mark O'Meara, etc. One neat story was on a Wednesday practice round Mark O'Meara was playing and my two younger brothers and dad had been following him for about 1.5 hours. When he looked at my family and said "Hey" to us and talked to us for a few mins. We were the only group of people that had stayed with him his whole practice round. Then on the next hole he said something to his caddy and then turned to my middle brother, Nathan, and asked if he wanted to be his caddy for that hole! Nathan who was about 5-6 at the time got right out there on the tee box with him. He asked Nathan what club should be hit on this hole and Nathan responded with a driver. LOL! I don't remember what hole it was but I remember the green seemed like a mile away (everything is bigger when you're younger - I was about 10 at the time). So Mark O'Meara proceeded to take Nathan the whole length of that hole and Nathan got to walk between the ropes and "caddy" for him. At the end of that hole Mark O'Meara autographed the ball he used on the hole and gave it to Nathan. It was a pretty neat experience. One that I will always remember.

Mt buddy has only played the course on video games so he is pretty pumped to be walking the grounds. I'm sure he will want to see TW play so I'll watch that mass of people but I ma going to try to get him to watch others with less crowds so he can appreciate the full impact of the course. He has some special passes so it will be a great time. I then head back up to play on the 8th of June. Course should still be in great shape.

Thanks! I try to go every year. I have been every year since 2007. I was on the front row of the grandstands on 18 that year and saw Phil Mickelson make his putt to win! It was really neat. I also went a lot through high school as well with my Dad and younger brothers. That was back when the tourney wasn't as big as it is now and my golf idols were: Paul Azinger, Fred Couples, Corey Pavin, the late Payne Stewart, Greg Norman, Mark O'Meara, etc. One neat story was on a Wednesday practice round Mark O'Meara was playing and my two younger brothers and dad had been following him for about 1.5 hours. When he looked at my family and said "Hey" to us and talked to us for a few mins. We were the only group of people that had stayed with him his whole practice round. Then on the next hole he said something to his caddy and then turned to my middle brother, Nathan, and asked if he wanted to be his caddy for that hole! Nathan who was about 5-6 at the time got right out there on the tee box with him. He asked Nathan what club should be hit on this hole and Nathan responded with a driver. LOL! I don't remember what hole it was but I remember the green seemed like a mile away (everything is bigger when you're younger - I was about 10 at the time). So Mark O'Meara proceeded to take Nathan the whole length of that hole and Nathan got to walk between the ropes and "caddy" for him. At the end of that hole Mark O'Meara autographed the ball he used on the hole and gave it to Nathan. It was a pretty neat experience. One that I will always remember.

Very awesome. Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Rumor has it that the THP Birdie is chirping about a contest coming up later on the Players.

Rumor has it that the THP Birdie is chirping about a contest coming up later on the Players.

Hi little birdie! :clapp::bananadance:

Always welcome words of wisdom from the little birdie

Whoa the birdie has left his nest thread and is chirping all over the place!

Can't wait to hear about the birdie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back