DIY Putter Customization

I just sanded the head with 1200 grit sand paper. The stuff feels like regular paper but DOES WONDERS. The club looks new again. Now I need acetone.

I just picked up acetone, steel stamps, and epoxy. Now I need to find the time to really get this done.

SO FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW. I spent an hour practicing on a couple old wedges with the stamps. I got it to come out perfect eventually. So I went to stamp the putter. I get the 'I' on perfectly, and go to the 'C,' and apparently I wasn't holding it tight enough. Now there's a long skid mark of 'C's along the bottom of the putter. So, I decided to scrap the stamping on this one. I filled it in with Elmer's glue and now you can barely tell after the first coat of primer. Bad mistake on my part.

Did the Acetone work on removing the red paint?

I have a CC # 4 I want to do a color change from red to metallic blue. Anxious to hear what works to get rid of the red for you!

No, the acetone did not work at all. It must not be paint. I recommend just going over it.

Getting ready to do a project myself. Heavy B3-M long putter that the previous owner painted the top line white and put a poor alignment mark on. The rest is unpainted he just did the top line. My goal is to strip it down and paint the thing ghost white. This thread gave me some good ideas on what to get. I will keep it updated and add some pics later!

I got the first coat of red on today. The only problem I have is that the GOLF in the cavity is a little over-filled and it's gonna be hard to clean it out to paint fill.

I had it all PERFECT when I went to paint fill it. Then I was a dummy. I generously applied it and let it dry. When I went to remove the excess with the acetone it hit me. It's all gonna remove. So I had a crappy mess around the alignment line because the red and the nail polish came off. Long story short, I had to take it all off and restart. GRRRRRRRR! I was so excited that it was almost done. Now it's gonna be a few more days.

I had it all PERFECT when I went to paint fill it. Then I was a dummy. I generously applied it and let it dry. When I went to remove the excess with the acetone it hit me. It's all gonna remove. So I had a crappy mess around the alignment line because the red and the nail polish came off. Long story short, I had to take it all off and restart. GRRRRRRRR! I was so excited that it was almost done. Now it's gonna be a few more days.

Maybe you should look into one of those Sharpie Oil Paint pens with a super fine tip. With some clear coat, I could see that turning out pretty well.

I decided to go with no paint fill at all. I've got the first clear coat on now, hopefully I can assemble it tomorrow and post pictures!

I decided to go with no paint fill at all. I've got the first clear coat on now, hopefully I can assemble it tomorrow and post pictures!

After all of that work I am anxious to see the pics TI

So the JB Weld I used to put the head back on is drying overnight. I'll need to clean the excess up a little, and I need to touch up on the paint job around the face now that I've taken the masking tape off somehow. The it will be done.

Post pics.

i putted pretty well with it today. it definitely feels at least 5 grams heavier. I know I need to post pictures... I'll try and take them Sunday night when I finally have some free time.

Hey I wanna see this Bloody Mess!

Hey I wanna see this Bloody Mess!

Shoot I never did post a picture did I? Dangggggg. I'll be on it tomorrow.

An old guy last Friday at the course saw me using it on the putting green and walks over from his cart before putting on the 9th hole and says "Son, that darn thing you're calling a putter looks like a bloody mess. Throw that in the pond and get a real putter." It was pretty funny actually.

I started messing about with my paint filling last night. Vokey whited out with 2 yellow accents turned out great. Leveland Classic 4.5 going Blue to mmatch my grip instead of the old red. Pics to come soon...

HAHAHAAH Ice thats hilarious

...For my paint fills I used nail polish.
...I did remove the shaft first but then basicly put it back in...
...Then laided the primer on. I used, I think, 2 coats. And then sanded down with a green scour pad, very lightly just to clean up and smooth out any high spots.
...I started to lay the color on. I applied 3 coats of white paint...
...I used toothpics to do the fills.
...At this point I took it to my local Golfsmith to have it put together. Which I get to pick up tomorrow evening.

Thanks for posting all the steps and info and pics - the project must be rewarding (doubly when you birdie).
I purchased one brass putter to test sanding and polishing.
I purchased SS blade putter to give it a test run (and gift my fiancee as she is a newbie to golf).
I purchased steel stamps to customize it.
I bought sand paper from 60 to 800 (or higher) and steel wool (AAAA grade).

I am ready but have a few clarifications - must trying to be careful and precise.
1. I was going to purchase Testor paint for fills - so how is your nail polish holding up? Are you putting any coating over the paint fills?
2. When you are heating the hosel (I just might leave it alone) what are you using to heat it - a torch?
3. When you are using primer, color, and clear, are you brushing it on?
4. When you are doing the paint fill, are you basically using the toothpick to FILL the LETTERS? or am I supposed to be "painting" the bottom and the side of the letters?
5. Golfsmith - DYI is so much cooler but shaft and grip is important enough. I gripped my iron recently and when my hand got tired, I didn't push in all the way on one of the shorter clubs -1/4 to 1/2 higher lol. So, I will let them touch my new putter to regrip only.

The $ amount I spend on this and that is adding up quickly and it might have been cheaper to send it in but it is not the same and I can do many putters. When I find comfort and success, I will work on my Scotty Cameron. It almost sounds like I can try your method on it and if I don't like the white, I can go try blackening it (I purchased Caswell SS Blackening Gel; I am mentioning this in case someone know about Scotty and I shouldn't use this product to Blacken it.)

Thanks again and I am looking forward to keeping my evenings busy for next couple of weeks. I haven't figured out how to add pictures yet on this forum so I can't show you what the three putters look like currently.

Back