Can't stop bringing the club inside

Michael24Miller

Reaction score
Handicap
Alright, I am sick of how inside I am starting my swing, but I really don't know what drills to practice with when it comes to fixing this because I have been doing this for so long it's just ingrained. My ball flight is a slight draw, with the occasional snap hook with the driver. Like I said, I think I have it drilled in my mind to make up for this coming too far inside, but any advice would be welcome I'm open to any suggestions for drills to try out. Sorry about the quality (taken on iPhone).

Do practice swings close to a wall or similar. Instant feedback. Also, if you're using that stick in front of you for alignment, you're very closed at set-up.

Take your normal setup with your bum on the wall and take practice swings like Pete said.

If you freeze it at :10 you're not that far off. Practice in a mirror and hide your hands with the clubhead.

Put a training stick or a broken shaft or a dowel in the ground on the line you want stay outside of on the way back, if you hit the stick or dowel or whatever then stop and check where you are. You can use a plastic trash can or a cardboard box for this also if you have one around. I don't see a move that is exaggerated way inside but it does look to me also like your stance is very closed relative to where you are aiming.

Thanks a lot for the drills guys and looking at it now I just realized how closed I am at address

Thanks a lot for the drills guys and looking at it now I just realized how closed I am at address

Basically you're swinging the club along the path of your set-up (which is closed). Just fixing your alignment would make your club less inside relative to the target. You will probably face new problems but it's best to start with the alignment and then take the next step.

im having the same issue, and my hands feel like they are trapped against my body sometimes, especially with the driver, went and got a lesson, guy suggested lowering the back shoulder at address...worked a few times, but then I started dipping and then slicing real bad. will hve to try some of these suggestions as well

Basically you're swinging the club along the path of your set-up (which is closed). Just fixing your alignment would make your club less inside relative to the target. You will probably face new problems but it's best to start with the alignment and then take the next step.

Yeah.. What Pete said. The issues that may arise upon that fix are a pull...potentially with a closed face. Just be aware of that whil you at working at it.

Is it just me or do I see your right foot back? It doesn't look square. Maybe it's the angle that this was shot in but It looks like you're setup to draw.

You're not seeing things I definitely noticed that my back foot is setup to draw the ball after further reviewing my stance tonight. I have to say that drill involving putting something (in my case an alignment stick) into the ground outside my back right heel seriously did wonders. I opened my stance up a little (so neutral now) and was getting great contact on literally every shot. Much thanks to all of the suggestions from you guys, now just have to ingrain it as much as I had my inside swing.

Try to get the feeling of dragging the club head back straight along your target line. Dragging is the key word here. It will delay the turnover of the hands and let you get farther back before wrist hinge takes over.

One thing I did was make my swing more upright, this coincidently helped me keep my club from coming in the inside so fast.

Back