Women's Golf Month

Callaway Girl

Living the Dream
Reaction score
Handicap
Nancy Lopez, Suzy Whaley, and Donna Richardson Joyner are Women's Golf Month Spokeswomen Team for 2009

Women's Golf Month Celebrates its Fifth Anniversary in June

Women'sGolfMonthD157508_275px.jpg

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. - Women's Golf Month celebrates its fifth anniversary this June with a trio of spokeswomen to help promote the Play Golf America program. PGA/LPGA Professional Suzy Whaley, LPGA Tour and World Golf Halls of Fame member Nancy Lopez, and world-renowned fitness expert and philanthropist, Donna Richardson Joyner, are the Women's Golf Month Spokeswomen Team for 2009. Lopez and Whaley also served as spokeswomen in 2008.
"Each of these women bring a unique perspective to Women's Golf Month that will help ensure our programming and outreach efforts touch a broad cross-section of the female population," says Anne Lyndrup, Director of Player Development, National Golf Course Owners Association and leader of the Women's Golf Month organizers. "The input, passion and professionalism of Suzy, Nancy and Donna should resonate with women of all ages and backgrounds, whether they're new to the game or picking it back up after some time away. With any luck and the help of these great ambassadors, this should be the most successful Women's Golf Month to date."
Women's Golf Month seeks to provide people, especially women, the opportunity to learn, re-learn or play golf in a fun and friendly environment. More than 105,000 people across the country have been introduced or re-introduced to the game of golf during the past four years during Women's Golf Month, which premiered in 2005 as Women's Golf Week.
Women'sGolfMonthD157560_225px.jpg
Suzy Whaley (left) gives some
one-on-one instruction.

Whaley has served as a national spokeswoman for the program since 2005. Her many accolades include being chosen as one of the top teachers in Connecticut by Golf Digest, nominated for GOLF Magazine's top 100-teacher list and a two-time PGA Teacher of the Year honoree in the Connecticut PGA Section. She recently was selected the 2008 LPGA Northeast Section Teacher of the Year. Whaley is a member of the PGA of America's National Instruction and National Diversity committees. In 2002, Whaley was the first woman in 58 years to qualify and participate in a PGA Tour event (the 2003 Greater Hartford Open), following the legendary Babe Zaharias. In 2005, she became the first woman to qualify for the PGA Professional National Championship, finishing tied for 64th.
"Women's Golf Month is an opportunity for all women to enjoy the game of golf," Whaley said. "Join us for fun events that include lessons, clinics, on-course experiences, golf fitness, networking, sales and much more. It is a special event and I encourage all women to come out, improve your game, and participate in a sport of a lifetime!"

Lopez has garnered 48 LPGA Tour victories during a career that has spanned more than four decades. In 2008, she celebrated the 30th anniversary of her first Tour victory (1978 Bent Tree Classic). Her numerous accomplishments include recognition as one of the LPGA's top-50 players and teachers in 2000 and being named the first female recipient of the Frances Ouimet Award for Lifelong Contributions to Golf in 2004. In 2005, she captained the victorious U.S. Solheim Cup Team and has been selected to captain the 2009 PING U.S. Junior Solheim Cup Team. Lopez is also the founder and principal of the Nancy Lopez Golf Company.
"Golf is such a great sport and I always encourage everyone to try it - at least once," Lopez said. "Playing a round of golf is invigorating as it tests our abilities and our patience. You can learn a lot about yourself out on the course, so soak in the sunshine, smell the fresh cut grass and try it during Women's Golf Month."
Women'sGolfMonthD157557_275px.jpg
Suzy Whaley (left) gives a lesson.

Richardson Joyner, a new golf enthusiast, is best known for her work as a health and fitness expert, motivational speaker, philanthropist, and author. She has starred in over 25 award winning videos including "Buns of Steel", ESPN and "Sweating in the Spirit" which became the #1 inspirational fitness DVD in America. She educates, empowers and energizes children, women and families to adopt a healthy and active lifestyle through good nutrition, exercise and participating in activities such as golf. She is the producer and host of "Sweating in the Spirit" on the Word Network. Richardson Joyner serves on the Presidents Council for Physical Fitness and Sports and is the spokesperson for HOPSports, a new and innovative physical education program that reaches over one million children. She was inducted in the Fitness Hall of Fame and named by Essence Magazine for being one of the 25 Most Inspiring Women in America. She is married to Tom Joyner, the host of the Tom Joyner Morning Show, which reaches more than 8 million listeners daily. For the past several years she and her husband have hosted the "Herc Golf Tournament" on the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage, which has raised more than $1 million each year for scholarships.
"I am sharing my love for the game of golf with a passion to improve people's lives spiritually, mentally and physically," Richardson Joyner said.

During Women's Golf Month, participating golf facilities offer complimentary instruction to people 14 years of age and older and are encouraged to host other activities, such as networking receptions, golf rules and etiquette seminars, club fitting and equipment demonstrations, golf apparel fashion shows, luncheons, playing experiences and contests. Aimed at increasing the participation of women in golf and making learning and playing golf fun for everyone, Women's Golf Month has increased its participants each year with a record 37,350 people attending events in 2008.
Beginning in May, consumers can find a complete list of participating facilities, along with details on specific events and online registration, by state on www.PlayGolfAmerica.com.

Thanks, CG.

I see it says "beginning in May..." and maybe that's my problem, but when I went on the website I saw no complimentary events or even specific women's events. It just seemed like links to all the courses and lesson schedules (paid, no deals). A big, free ad. :sad: Here's hoping it picks up closer to the event.

I see it says "beginning in May..." and maybe that's my problem, but when I went on the website I saw no complimentary events or even specific women's events. It just seemed like links to all the courses and lesson schedules (paid, no deals). A big, free ad. :sad: Here's hoping it picks up closer to the event.

Julie, after you click on the link at the bottom of the ad (http://www.PlayGolfAmerica.com). Browse down the page to the picture that says Golf for Women, click on it. Next, you will insert your zip code and events in your area will display.

That's what I did. :sad:

EDIT: Looks like my old Minnesota has lots of events. Maybe it's just a Texas thing.

Back