Golf Course Employees

I've never had a problem with a maintenance workers. The ones I have a problem with are the maintenance supervisors. If you know you have a scramble going off at 9:00 why not have the guys show up a little early to get the course done before the scramble starts.

I've never had a problem with a maintenance workers. The ones I have a problem with are the maintenance supervisors. If you know you have a scramble going off at 9:00 why not have the guys show up a little early to get the course done before the scramble starts.

Many of the courses around here, the maintenance guys show up by 5:00 to get things going, and they mow with the headlights on. If they're waiting until after dawn to start mowing and doing that kind of maintenance, then the supervisor needs a kick in the pants to get things going right.

I have been fortunate with the maintence crews as well, and I always try to be respectful of the fact that they have a job to do. The only thing that stands out to me was one time we were playing a private club and after about the 5th hole a grounds worker started watering the green, WHILE WE WERE PUTTING!:angry: He then proceeded to water the next several holes once again while we were putting!! After about 4-5 holes of this one of the guys in the group kindly asked him to either get a few holes ahead of us or wait until we were done. The course was not that busy and he could have easily avoided watering while we were putting.

I have been fortunate with the maintence crews as well, and I always try to be respectful of the fact that they have a job to do. The only thing that stands out to me was one time we were playing a private club and after about the 5th hole a grounds worker started watering the green, WHILE WE WERE PUTTING!:angry: He then proceeded to water the next several holes once again while we were putting!! After about 4-5 holes of this one of the guys in the group kindly asked him to either get a few holes ahead of us or wait until we were done. The course was not that busy and he could have easily avoided watering while we were putting.

I know that ther watering makes alot of noise or was he watering in your line?:confused2:

As a former Assistant Superintendent & an avid golfer, my only comment is that if you cannot respect the job of the maintenance crew, you cannot truly respect the game of golf.

As a former Assistant Superintendent & an avid golfer, my only comment is that if you cannot respect the job of the maintenance crew, you cannot truly respect the game of golf.

Well said, Amen Brother!:clapp:

I have no problem with the maintenace people doing their jobs. They are there to make the course playable. It's the starters, and course marshals who cause me the most grief. All because they think they are so important. Worst of the bunch is the course marshal who will park in front of you, waitng for you to hit your ball. I just wave them through, because I don't want anyone in front of me when I hit a ball. It's a distraction I won't let interfere with my game. Why they drive the course backwards is beyond my comprhension. There's a starter up in Mesquite Nevada at the Casablanca Golf Cub that is very rude, and arrogant. Thinks he is so very important. Everyone just laughs at him, which pisses him off even more. Apparently he might be important, since he has been there for quite a few years. Another is the counter guy who quotes you one price on the phone, and when you get there, the price has gone up. Or will take your money, hand you your reciept, then tell you they are backed up, and your tee times has been pushed back, and you will have to wait an extra hour. You then ask for a refund, and he points to the sign that reads "No Refunds". :comp:

Im with Provisional, I have gotten into with many Marshalls and starters. A lot of them have bad attitudes.

I didn't take it that way. You're good. Just that some see us as a nuisance rather than somebody keeping the course in shape for them. Believe me, I don't want to be out there in the line of fire, but you have to sometimes.

I always try to carry a variety of balls if I'm mowing rough just for that reason.

Funny just the last time I was out I was using a nike tour D and the man mowing ran over it... I looked at the ball and it had a small "dent" in the cover and the guy gave me $10 to buy a new sleeve. So I went in a bought a drink and a hot dog for him and gave him his $10 back. I thought it was awesome that he was willing to replace my ball even though it was a complete accident.

I know that ther watering makes alot of noise or was he watering in your line?:confused2:

He wasn't watering in our lines, it was more of the fact they he was going through his process of pulling up, hooking up the hose, and walking around us watering the greens while we were putting. After a few holes of this it seemed like we were in his way and didn't settle well with some of the guys in the group mainly a member of the club, and like I said the member kindly asked him to skip ahead or wait for us to clear the green.

The employees at the course I play at all seem very unfriendly, I don't know why, but I get the feeling that none of them want anybody to play the course because they are all lazy and can't stand associating with their customers. Everytime I show up they all seem miserable. The starter never smiles and he doesn't talk. The look on his face seems to say, "What are you DOING here kid?" I'm there to play golf, it is a golf course is it not? Are they even aware that if they had it their way of having no golfers on the course, that they would be out of a job?

At my course everyone is very friendly from the Director down to the greenskeepers. Every time, I go to the facility or course, I make it a point to talk with everyone. The customer service is top notch at my course and I very greatly for it.

I had a couple of maintenance park in between two bunkers about 25 yards apart from each along the fairway while waiting for my shot. Little did they know that my ball tends to gravitate to the bunker and they were in my shot. They were only 150 yards out. I mean do they think they were protected by the bunker? My ball did end up hitting short and rolling under their cart and luckily past the bunker.

Only time I was ever seriously hit was shagging balls with my grandfather when I was a kid. He hit me square in the head with a full wedge shot (my fault, I walked in too far) and I went down like a ton of bricks.

When I was caddying, I was never hit, but I did let one of my bags get hit after taking a shortcut. Luckily it was not a tournament and my loop was cool about it (especially because you had to hit a pretty bad tee shot to hit your caddy at that cutoff).

When I worked in the shop and picked the range, everyone would try to drill me. No big deal, it would give me something to tease them about when I got done.

Back