Ping Golf Review - THP Demo Day - Full Line

I'm loving the i20 feedback! Makes me feel not as....well, crazy! lol

I20 Irons: After reading all of the rave reviews here on THP, I was really excited to hit these irons, and expected big things. I had hit them once before right after the came out, but I chalked my poor results that day up to a bad day. After being so excited, these let me down in a big way. I seemed to get a great distance with a good ball flight, but my dispersion was all over the place. There was no telling which side of the flag the next ball would be. The feel on these were the real dissapointment, they just fell dead to me. I wasn't getting a lot of feedback on the well struck shots, and I really missed the crisp feeling on a well struck shots. I'm betting Jman's set with the C-taper might solve both of these problems for me, but the stock setup just did not do it for me, it was very sad.

Tour-S wedge: I liked this wedge pretty well, I saw good results on full swings and partial shots, and it was very consistent when chipping. The ball flight was great with the Hi-Rev shaft. It was a solid option that I could easily game.

Nome: I rolled the Nome on the demo green, and still just don't love it. It doesn't have a great feel to it, especially for a milled putter, and the weighting is just so so. Combine that with the ugly looks and its just not a gamer for me.

G20 Driver: I didn't hit this at the demo day, but gamed it for a while. This is such a solid driver. All the forgiveness in the world, and distance to boot. I play the Xflex Tour D shaft and get a great ball flight that is high, but not ballooning at all. If you struggle with hooking the ball this would be a great driver (I'm looking at you OG). It is the only GI driver that I know of the is fade balanced. It simply hits the ball long and straight over and over again. If you like to work the ball off the tee look elsewhere, that is not what this bad boy is designed form.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys, I am a big fan of the entire I20 line.

I20 8i & 5i

I had preconceived negative thought sin my head about this line having never laid eyes on it. It was a must hit on my list so I grabbed the 8i in the set and settled in for some serious ball striking.

Looks: smallish head for what I would call a GI/GE club. The familiar lead silver coloring, with the black inserts on the back make the club look very techy. The thick sole that I would say is aPing staple is present, so you are sure to get some lift from the irons.
Feel: with some slight head weighting it was easy to be aware of the club head through out the entire swing. As with all solid strikes the ball melted off the face. Off center hits gave some feedback but not much which was a bit of a surprise to me. But this also told me that this Ping offering had some serious forgiveness built in.
Playability: I wasn't going to take it easy with these irons. I was warm from hitting many clubs prior so I got right into full swings. My goal was to take some full swings and beyond. I wanted to see how long these clubs were and how accurate with a little beef in the swing.
Each ball climbed rather fast into the stratosphere and just when I thought it had reached its peak, it climbed a little higher. The 8i traveled on a high arc with a slight draw and easily carried to the 164 flag on the left hand side of the range. The turf interaction was minimal with very shallow divots. Based on the ball flight I was expecting deeper divots. That would be the thicker sole doing work. I had desire to work the ball during this session as I was getting such a nice tight ball. These, in my mind, are pin seekers. These were actually a lot of fun to demo. A very solid offering from Ping.

5i

i saw my man Belbs stroking the 5i as if he was trying reach the other side of the range. His ball flight was more like a 9i the way it climber until the bottom fell out. It was impressive. Needless to say my ball flight was much lower but still very tight just like the Belbs. Good distance for little ole me and great turf interaction as I saw with the 8i.

After hitting both I can see why folks are so happy with their sets. The i20 might be this years R11 with bit lower ball flight. Great job by Ping.

I did like the i20 irons a lot. They were the first irons I have seen in a while that had offset that didn't immediately make me want to gag (I dislike offset, if you can't tell), I only hit maybe 20 shots with the 5i, and as Tad pointed out, the flight way way too high for my liking. Perhaps pairing this with a different shaft would be helpful.

If I was in the market for new irons these would totally be in the running. But I'd need a custom shaft of some sort.

Stellar thoughts so far. The i20's are the best irons I've hit. Period. However, I say that because my set fits me. I think with any iron it's important to have them fit to you. I think they're in a class of their own. I can't think of an iron that offers the lines they do that can touch them in terms of forgiveness, feel, and playability.

I need to demo a G20 fwy wood and an i20 hybo

Stellar thoughts so far. The i20's are the best irons I've hit. Period. However, I say that because my set fits me. I think with any iron it's important to have them fit to you. I think they're in a class of their own. I can't think of an iron that offers the lines they do that can touch them in terms of forgiveness, feel, and playability.

I need to demo a G20 fwy wood and an i20 hybo

Agreed, irons esp need to be fit for the player. I have always wanted a set of Ping irons and these are awesome. Pondering...

I'm always excited to hit the PING offerings at demo day, but for some reason I don't always click with them. This year was sort of the same, aside from one item.

G20 Driver
I took this one out to the practice holes with GrantD, along with the RAZR Fit. In the end, I much preferred the Fit for my swing. Not sure why, but I just wasn't hitting it well at all. Mostly weak fades. Hard to give it a bad rap based on that short experience, but my initial reaction was that it wasn't really for me.

I20 Driver
Couldn't really get this one airborne. It sure looks great all around. I was mainly hitting low bullets with it, which was a little disappointing. I wanted to love this driver just based on looks alone, but it didn't care for me much.

I20 Irons

I hit a couple varieties of these irons. At demo day I hit the stock/stiff demo irons and had some pretty solid results. I didn't hit any real bad shots with them, which was a nice treat. Ball flight was nice and high and straighter than some others I hit that day. Would have really like to take them out to the practice holes, but just ran out of time. I watched Kmac hit some very nice shots with them. Definitely a set of irons I'd like to have a little more time with.

I also hit Tmex's Modus shafted I20's during our Saturday afternoon round. I don't have the swing for those shafts. That or I was just really swinging poorly at the moment. Either way, I much preferred the J40 CB/PX Flighted combo I also used that day.

G20: For some reason me and this thing just didn't get along. I love the look at approach, and I felt like this would be the driver for me going into demo day, but after a few swings it clearly wasn't. The distance was there when I hit it straight, but straight wasn't too common. I rocked about 50 balls with the G20 before finally setting it down. I had no control with it. It varied from a draw, to a fade, to a slice. I just couldn't get consistency out of it.

I20 Irons: I really enjoyed these irons. I hit them quite well. Even on slight mishits they seemed forgiving. I did notice a slightly higher ball flight than I am used too though. I lost quite a few yards distance wise due to this. Even with that though, they were my second favorite irons at demo day behind the nike combos.

I20 Driver: Loved, Loved, Loved this thing. Best looking driver out there imo with the flat black matte finish. My roommate Rafdo saw me struggling with the G20 and talked me out of giving up Ping drivers. He handed me the I20 and told me he gamed it, and it was the straightest driver he's ever hit. I would have to agree with him on this. Every ball I hit seemed to fly where I wanted it to. It had the traditional Ping sound at impact, which I love as well. This is one of the top three drivers I hit while at demo day. Its right there with the VRS, just lacked the distance. After some serious ponderation (is that a word?) I may have to rank this almost neck and neck with the VRS, and ahead of the Classic from Cleveland.

I've been following the Ping I20 thread and have been totally impressed. Hope to demo these sometime soon. Sounds like these may be the the ticket for me. THP folks are giving Ping some high praise for these and it sounds like the same during the demo day. Thanks THPer's.

G20 Driver:

Great looking head and is definitely a bomber. The head is very forgiving and I hit multiple high, straight shots. The ball flight wasn't ballooning, but it was very high. This may be the most forgiving driver I hit at demo day. It has that classic Ping sound and felt nicely at impact. I had previous experience with this driver and prefer the TFC Tour shaft to the stock offering. The Tour shaft still launches the ball high, but it just keeps going. If I remember correctly, the Tour shaft brought my spin down 500-600 rpm's.

G20 FW:

This is another good offering from Ping. I hit this with the regular shaft and it seemed to be a touch too high for my liking. I didn't have any real issues hitting it off the deck and it was pretty long from the tee. Ball flight was very high, but shots seemed to go straight. It looked like I may have been getting a lot of backspin with this set up.

i20 FW:

Very sleek looking head and I absolutely love the matte black finish. Not quite as easy to hit off the deck as the G20 and ball flight was significantly lower. Wasn't nearly as forgiving as the G20, either. It's hard to not want to game one of these clubs based on looks.

Tour S Wedges:

I really like the looks of these wedges and wanted them to work well for me. They just feel a tad too harsh for me and got a little clicky. This could have been due to the DG shafts. I would like to try one with a KBS to see if they feel a little softer at impact. Ball flight was high with the 52* wedge I was hitting and dispersion was quite good with the 9 or 10 swings I took. The bounce was perfect for me and I didn't chunk or dig too deep with any of the swings I took.

Stellar thoughts so far. The i20's are the best irons I've hit. Period. However, I say that because my set fits me. I think with any iron it's important to have them fit to you.

TC - I agree with this completely, and to be honest, with a fitted set of i20s, that may have been enough of an improvement for them to exceed the R11s for me. Ping has always done a great job with encouraging fitting with the colored dot system.

I know it's dead unsexy, but anyone hit the G20 hybrid? That is the easiest club to hit I've ever used. If there was a spot for it in my bag I would have one for sure.

They define the word "fugly" but the results are far from it. I tried the I and the G hybrids at a demo and the Gs were by far much more friendly. They feel a bit odd at address, not like a fairway or fairway shaped head at all. More like an iron with a swollen backside. With the Is my good hits were low and hard but few and far in between. The Gs were much easier to hit with consistency and they got up in the air pretty well. Getting a consistent 190-200 with the 23 degree and not too many unplayable miss hits. For mid to high handicappers, the Gs are a great way to get some early payback from hybrids.

I will touch on my thoughts of the I20 and I20 driver later but I wanted to give a shoutout.. to the Nome!!!!! During the putting contest I had to steal this one away from JB :)

Feel:
I like the feel of milled putters at times but I much prefer an insert. However with the Nome it just feels different than most inserts imo off the face and the sound has something to do with that. One of my favorites out right now.

Feel through the Stroke:
This is where the Nome really shines. Very easy to get through and is one of the easiest putters I've ever rolled in this regards. I still like my DART quite a bit but the Nome feels more like its one piece and just an extension of the arms.

Alignment:
Ever since the DART I've looked at this like a lost cause for most putters haha. Not that I always need the help but with its there, holy cow does it make those 5 foot knee knockers a lot less intimidating. The ability to have an alignment stick (in a way) right there cant be measured and it really made lining up the putts easier than I remembered.

Overall:
Yes please. At some point, I'll need to have this in just even to spell my current gamer. I dont see it knocking it out but its come closer than anything I've ever putted with.

Nice putter love Yoccos. The Nome has been on and off my list since it came out.

i20 Driver

The all matte black finish on the top of the driver is just downright sexy. This paired with the black shaft, face and grip make this a mean looking club and easily one of the best looking out there. I play the i20 3W so I had high hopes coming in for the driver. Those expectations were met and exceeded. I felt like this was the best driver out there for me. I tried it out with the stock TFC 707D shaft in stiff. It was long, felt great, sounded great and was plenty forgiving. My only occasional miss came from me swinging a bit too quick and losing the ball high and right but I believe this was just an incorrect shaft problem. This driver is well worth a try and would be a solid addition to the bag.

I had a chance to hit both the i20 and the G20 at the Outing.

G20 I was very impressed with the G20. I thought that it was going to be to spinny for me. But I was wrong. It really got off the face well. Ball flight for the G20 was a little high but that probably is the nature of the factory shaft and could be brought down with a properly fit shaft. I wouldn't say that spin was an issue as I didn't see any balls balloon out or such. The G20 had great balance. It didnt feel to head heavy and the balance during the The sounds was great, a very nice higher pitched thud. I wasnt a big fan of the stock grip, but in fairness, i don't think there was a stock grip i liked.

i20 I had really high hopes for this one. I knew it lower spin and I though this thing might be a bomber, but i never really had a good result with it. Again didnt like the grip but I loved the overall look. Just never had a good feel with it. It felt a little unbalanced to me, felt maybe a little head heavy. Just never got the results i wanted. Sound was ok, but nothing great.

Out of the two, I certainly liked the G20 and and really surprised by its performance.

Nice thoughts everybody. Really great thoughts here.

i20 driver = legit. I absolutely love the flat finish. This thing paired with a px black is pure aggressive.

Ping has some seriously great clubs in their 20 lineup.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know why but I think the Tour wedges have piqued my interest.

I hit the FW woods mostly at the outing as this is what I'm searching to change in my bag this year.
The ping woods feel fine at address and I made good contact , but came away overall unimpressed with the line.
They didn't seem to give me anymore than my current driver 910 D2 10.5 and way less than another OEM's FW wood that I've fell in Love with.
Thanks THP and Ping Golf for providing these clubs for the Demo day.

I don't know why but I think the Tour wedges have piqued my interest.

I couldn't believe how well I liked them. They are extremely versatile and feel great. This is the first "cavity backed" wedge I have played and they added some forgiveness in there but somehow managed to keep a superb feel.

i20 Driver - I guess I have a thing for Blacked our drivers, because the i20 immediately drew my interest. Just a stunning looking club. It is definitely a beast of a driver, I was seeing some very good distance on my shots, the only problem was that I was pushing them way right. Granted, I didn't hit this until later in the day and was a bit tired, so I would imagine that has a lot to do with it. However, a couple of us went over the practice holes and I watched SW absolutely bomb this driver. He was absolutely crushing it, and it wasn't only for a few shots, as he continued to do so on the 9 holes we played at the New Course. Really will have to spend some more time with this driver with some "fresh" swings, as I think it could be an absolutely monster off the tee, just have to work on controlling my swing with it a bit.

i20 Irons - I really want to like these irons, but I just can not hit them. I have tried and tried, and just cant get them to jive with me. I hit them a couple times throughout the day, and they just didnt give me results that I wanted. I believe KMac got to watch the demonstration I put on with them, there may have been a laugh or two. Great looking set of irons, and really wish that I hit them well, but they just arent for me. Watching others rave about them and hit them well just made me jealous.

i20 irons: Obviously, there is a ton of feedback on these irons out there already, but I hit these again at the Demo Day and came away impressed. I do like the CFS shaft because it feels a good bit like the KBS Tour shafts that I play now, and I could easily get these up in the air with a pleasing ballflight, even on not-so-great lies on the range. Like some others have mentioned, it would be really interesting to go through the Ping fitting process and see what they could do for me with these irons.

i20 driver: I hit both shafts (Ping shaft and Project X Black) with this driver. The looks are simply awesome, but sadly, the performance wasn't there for me. This was one driver that faded for me more than other drivers. I'm not sure if that was the shaft or the clubhead, but I'm inclined to think that the head is fade-biased because I saw that shot with both shafts. I tried to put a pretty pronounced draw swing on the ball at one point and basically got a straight shot, I wouldn't want to have to do that on the course all the time.

Back