Votes: 12 17.4%
  • Miss greens short

Votes: 57 82.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
Okay, I golf nearly every day, and play with a lot of different people. Everybody seems to have different 'facts of course play'. So, I've decided to start polls on some of them to see how much people agree.

First up, When you miss a green either long or short, which one happens more often? I thought this one first because I used to always miss short, but since I made a swing change last fall, I'm always going long. Seriously, I used to hit 7i 150, and yesterday was putting my pw over the green into a slight wind from 150.

P.S. I've searched and in the first 5 pages of results I didn't see anything similar. Mods please lead me the way if I've missed it.

P.P.S. In this case, I always hear people say, 'most people come up short.'

Last edited:
It's usually right or left but of the two choices it'd be short.

I used to always miss short, so I started taking one more club than what I think I need, so now it's closer to 1/3 short, 1/3 long, 1/3 in the middle section of the green. (But it still equally in line with the green, left of the green and right of the green!)

This year, short. In years past, long. I have been a club off all year long it seems.

It depends on the hole. One of the par 3s at my course it is much better to miss short, and on another, it is way better to miss long. So that's what I'll base my club choice off of.

Short, though I accidentally voted long. Long is almost always worse than long. I don't get too aggressive with back pins, either, preferring the middle of the green than a short sided chip from the back.

Kevin

I usually miss short, so that's how I voted, however the last two rounds I've been missing them long...I did just what Smalls did and clubbed up on every par 3, however I guess I'm striking the ball better lately.

90% of the time it is short. Over-confidence in ability, misjudging the elements, sometimes its just a weak weak swing.

My usual miss is short, but it is because I either don't have enough club, or fail to swing through the ball. I hate hate hate how my playing partners will see me mishit one, and then keep reminding me to "accelerate".

As soon as I start thinking of that, it has the opposite effect, my swing almost slows, or I just really don't put enough into it.

Like a lot of people have said, short is usually a better miss than long. I'm an equal opportunity misser though.

Short more so then long. Though if I am going to miss the green, I would prefer to miss short. Rarely does anything good happen to those that go past the green.

My miss is long, typically. But if it's a front ticked pin I miss short. I should take the center of the green and all would be well.

The majority of my misses will be short unless the wind is at my back. The reason is simple, on a pin that's in the front, I'll play for the middle of the green or the club that'll get me the closest to there. On middle or back pins, I'll take a club that takes me closer to the back of the green. I consider myself a decent ball striker, so most times I'll reach the yardage I'm aiming for. I'd rather come up a bit short on a bad shot that miss long on a good shot. Nothing more frustrating then getting a bad result from a good shot.

Short. When I play a 150yd hole, I dont use the club that goes 160yds. I use the 150 yd club. When I hit it normal it goes the proper distance and if i screw up, it goes shorter.

Generally miss left or right, but if I misclub, then it's usually short

Short mostly, it's usually the better of the two misses. Lately it's been short and right.

Long left, short right, and way too many just flat out short from poor contact.
Majority would be short in some form, but that's also because on our course long is almost always a penalty. You can get away with leaving balls short, long will punish you.

I voted short but it's typically right, sometimes left. very rarely long. I usually have the correct club as the ball ends up pin high or slightly short of pin high but I cant seem to keep it straight

Usually short. There are a few holes at my course that it is better to be long so I take an extra club or two...then I still end up short.

It depends on the hole. One of the par 3s at my course it is much better to miss short, and on another, it is way better to miss long. So that's what I'll base my club choice off of.

This...always depends on the hole and where the trouble lies.

I tend to hit it short.. Usually as a result of not solid contact

Neither is always the rule. The hole determines where the "best miss" is. For the par 3s at my course, #6 it is right, both short and long are bad, #9 is long, short is deep bunkers, #14 slightly right or slightly long, short or left is water, right or long is OB, 16 short is only good miss, anywhere else is probably bogie at best.

Most of the par 3's on my course are better with a short miss, aside from one that has a water carry. I try to make sure I can get over the water with a miss on that one.

The par 3 contest at the outing agrees with the results of this poll lol.

Back