What is the Easiest Major to Win?

What is the Easiest Major to Win?

• Total voters

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't know why, but I was thinking about this this morning. Of all the Major Championships, which one is the easiest?

I'm still a bit on the fence about my selection, though I'm leaning towards the Masters. Some will think I'm crazy but I think the US Open highly caters to guys who are more accurate than they are better golfers, especially if we look at the past winners there.

Anyway, I thought this could be interesting.

I dunno man, I would go with the Masters. It is a course that definitely rewards the "classic" bomber. The guy who hits it a mile and gets it done with his wedges and putter.

I dunno man, I would go with the Masters. It is a course that definitely rewards the "classic" bomber. The guy who hits it a mile and gets it done with his wedges and putter.

Yet Zach Johnson, Trevor Immelman and Charl Schwartzel have all won there recently. After seeing the undulations on that golf course, it's definitely a test of golf, but it's the one course that is played year in and year out.

True that, true that. I won't say US Open because some of those courses just destroy EVERYBODY. Bethpage Black... Yikes.
Yet Zach Johnson, Trevor Immelman and Charl Schwartzel have all won there recently. After seeing the undulations on that golf course, it's definitely a test of golf, but it's the one course that is played year in and year out.

True that, true that. I won't say US Open because some of those courses just destroy EVERYBODY. Bethpage Black... Yikes.

Do US Open set ups destroy everybody, or just the long knockers? Are US Open set ups made to punish those that hit the ball further?

These are all things I was thinking about this morning.

Well, naturally the ultra accurate will have a slightly easier time on most courses. Jim Furyk won in 2004, right? He has ben known to find a few fairways and greens.
Do US Open set ups destroy everybody, or just the long knockers? Are US Open set ups made to punish those that hit the ball further?

These are all things I was thinking about this morning.

I think the Masters is the easiest but only if the course suits you. If not it is the hardest. The US Open is the hardest IMO. It just seems to take the most out of everybody in terms of testing all aspects of your game. The PGA is maybe a notch below the US Open. Depending on weather, the Open is the easiest. Sorry for the scattered thoughts. Just woke up

I'm in line with your thinking chunky, freshly awake and all. The Open Championship purely depends on the weather IMO. But does that make it harder to win, or just harder to manage?

I think anybody can win the Open when the weather is good, the courses are short, wide, and forgiving for the most part. It takes a really special player to win while contending with rain and 40 MPH winds. Usually a special European, but that is neither here nor there.
I'm in line with your thinking chunky, freshly awake and all. The Open Championship purely depends on the weather IMO. But does that make it harder to win, or just harder to manage?

Harder to manage. I think it's the easiest to win. Good question though. But again, tough for me to judge because I don't play that style of golf. I've played a few links style courses but never one right next to water. I played an American style course right off the Atlantic and that was freaking brutal. The wind was monstrous

PGA Championship is the easiest by far.

The Masters is a diabolical layout and devious greens.

The US Open has the USGA.

The British Open has the weather.

I'm going with the Masters. Based solely on the fact that it is played at the same course every year.

I will also venture to say the Masters. I don't have the stats but isn't this the tournament with more repeat winners than the rest?

Tappin' dat pad on tapatalk

I wouldn't argue with any of this.

I will also venture to say the Masters. I don't have the stats but isn't this the tournament with more repeat winners than the rest?

Tappin' dat pad on tapatalk

But it all has to be in perspective right? If the course sets up well for you it's the easiest. If the course is not one you are comfortable with, it's the hardest major by far

Voted for The Masters purely on the basis of same course.

The Open has to be one of the hardest simpley because of the weather. Rain will often suspend play in the state because it usually means a thunder storm, but during the open it means though s**t put your rain gear on. Now I know there as also times when high winds will suspend play too.

But it all has to be in perspective right? If the course sets up well for you it's the easiest. If the course is not one you are comfortable with, it's the hardest major by far

Ask Martin Kaymer, LOL

I also think that Augusta is hard b/c it is the one that's played every year and it is the one that I dare say most want to win.

Masters is statistically the easiest to win because it has the fewest players by a lot.

Obviously you never talked to Tom Watson about this.

I think it varies from player to player, obviously. And, also, the course and layout plays the biggest factor. Kelly and I are Adam Scott fans and she asked me which majors I thought Scottie had a better chance at winning. I thought a PGA and possibly a British set up better for him. His recent play at Augusta has moved him towards a Masters before any of the others.

Big picture, I think a US Open and a British would be the toughest.

Wandering the earth like Kane from Kung Fu, Tapatalking on an iPhone.

I voted for the PGA...courses usually arent set up as difficult

I almost went with the British just because if you look back in history there seems to be alot of 1 time major winners amongst that group....it's almost like you can "accidentally" win it.

I think its definitely the PGA. The Masters has a lot of prestige (which makes for the players being just that much more on edge about winning) and is played on a pretty penalizing course. The Open championship is difficult because of the links style of golf, you really have to master the wind and rain conditions for all 4 days to even have a chance. And the US Open is always set up so difficult (regardless of what McIlroy did last year) that its often a challenge to even break par. The PGA is difficult, but not to the standards of the US Open, and doesnt carry the added difficulty of the Open and Masters. Is it easy to win, no, but I think its easier than the others.

The Masters would be the easiest. Same course every year, hard to not know where to miss, best places to attack, etc.

Kind of a tie after that between the PGA and British after that. Usually comes down to venue and the weather that year

Good to see no one has voted the US Open because if you think that youre clearly on crack.

I voted Open Championship. Outside of the weather there really isn't anything that jumps at me. It's played in a rotation on the same courses so you know where it's going to be. The courses aren't super tight so those that can bomb it don't have to worry about directional control so much, unless your DJ of course. It's a different type of golf as well, I would almost say more free wheeling golf with the types of shots you can play due to the courses.

I picked that one over the PGA because with the PGA being the last major I think it adds a touch more pressure to win a major before the season ends.

Back