Golftec Set Evaluation

bmwnola

Who Dat!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
After listening to a recent edition of In the Rough, I was very interested about the Golftec evaluation. Im the type of Golfer that will be the first to blame my clubs before my own game. I would love to reassure myself that im playing what im suppose to play and if not make an adjustment in the set.

I will have an opportunity to travel to Houston in a couple of weeks. There are a few Golftecs and made an appointment for the Set Evaluation near the Galleria. I was told that this is approx 90 mins for $149.

What should I expect out of this session? Has anyone had this evaluation done? Any sucess with the golf game afterward?

Thanks in advance. Look forward to any advice or feedback.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

I'm assuming this is a club fitting? Does it include fitting for the right shafts?

Good for you Nola. You should expect some talk about your current setup, what you hope to achieve, what your long term goals may be. You should then be directed to take some swings with what ever is being tweaked or tested. He may make some suggestions a few more swings and some really good data on clubs, shafts and balls. You'll get your spin, ball speed, launch angle and other feedback from the videos. The experience will be eye opening to say the least.

Good for you Nola. You should expect some talk about your current setup, what you hope to achieve, what your long term goals may be. You should then be directed to take some swings with what ever is being tweaked or tested. He may make some suggestions a few more swings and some really good data on clubs, shafts and balls. You'll get your spin, ball speed, launch angle and other feedback from the videos. The experience will be eye opening to say the least.
Seems like a pretty cool thing to do!

Thanks Tad. Im looking forward to this since it will be my first time getting an analysis. I will update everyone with the whole evaluation process.

Seems like a pretty cool thing to do!
It is a great experience. The Golftec reps are very knowledgeable but more importantly, the data is key. It really opens your eyes to your game and what you are getting out of it.

Tadashi speaks the truth. It helped me a ton. Be prepared to (most likely) feel compelled to buy new shafts or clubs - not because the Golftec folks will pressure sell you, but because you'll feel like you need to adjust your equipment to fit you better. Loft/lie changes can make a good difference but you may be told your clubs aren't suited to your swing, or the shafts, or both. But then, it sounds like maybe you're looking to be told that, so maybe it'll be a happy ending after all.

With that said, and having seen that you're the kind of golfer that will blame your clubs...the fact is that $500 invested in lessons (or $200 or $1,000) is going to do more to improve your score and your swings than that amount spent on new clubs. Every time.

I'm waiting a while till I can swing better than do the club evaluation. I'll def. be interested to hear about you experience.

Thanks Tad. Im looking forward to this since it will be my first time getting an analysis. I will update everyone with the whole evaluation process.

Good deal bmw, will be looking forward to following your evaluation. Good luck!

Good deal bmw, will be looking forward to following your evaluation. Good luck!

I really need to do this as well. Looking forward to your results!!!

I am also interested in hearing about this. Looking forward to it Anthony

Tappin' dat pad on tapatalk

I wish we had a golftec around here. Sounds like it is well worth the money

Looking forward to my evaluation tomorrow afternoon. Will keep everyone posted with a full review.

Still an hour outside of Houston and getting excited!

Looking forward to my evaluation tomorrow afternoon. Will keep everyone posted with a full review.

Still an hour outside of Houston and getting excited!

Good luck with the Eval.

Just wrapping up my evaluation. I must say I had a great time doing it. I will gather my thoughts and post a review with some figures later on.

Here is my long and overdue review from my Golftec experience.

I walked into Golftec to be greeted by my fitter Becca for my 1pm appointment. We walked into the first fitting room when I noticed there were about half a dozen fitting carts and a hitting bay with tons of monitors and sensors. Again, this is my first time getting in front of any type of launch monitor or fitting using golf analysis software. I'm in awe with their setup.

First off she took a few basic measurements. She measured the length of my hand to the floor. Next, a measurement of my 6 iron to insure its the proper length. She asked me several basic questions such as; what is my trajectory? what is my desired trajectory? what is my general shot shape? where do i miss hit (toe or heel)? After that, I took 5 swings with the 6 iron on the lie board to ensure my lie is proper and ball impact on the face. So far, everything seem to be in spec for me.

The next thing we did was compare my current irons with other models. I decided I wanted to get some info on the TaylorMade R11 (brand loyal) and Ping i20s (want to check out the buzz). She recommended that I try out the Mizuno JPX-800 Pro. I didn't mind it as I used to game a set of Mizuno irons 10 yrs ago and knew they have solid irons. She went to work and "built" the demo 6 iron clubs to my specs of 2* upright (Ping uses 7 iron for fitting). We took my Burner 2.0 6 iron which is the control club and hit 5 balls with it on the launch monitor. Next were R11, JPX-800 Pro, and finally the i20. So each club was hit 5 times and an average was taken for each. At the end, the software ranked all of the clubs based upon launch angle, spin, distance, descent angle, and shot deviation.

Here is how they rank:

1. TaylorMade R11
2. Ping i20s
3. TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (current)
4. Mizuno JPX-800 Pro

I'm very shocked how my current irons finished in the bottom half. But she went on to explain to me about the #'s on the R11. The main thing we looked at was the back spin and shot deviation which to me is very important. I thought I was content with my set as now i'm back to ponder mode with the R11s in mind.

At this point, we've had great conversation about her history in golf, golf on tour, and about THP. I mentioned about THP b/c she asked how I heard about Golftec and mentioned the site and In the Rough show. She became very interested in the site as we talked more about the recent Outing and The Morgan Cup. I advised her to check us out since she wanted to provide her assistance and knowledge.

I asked her about drivers but she said that time was getting limited. But she allowed me to demo the R11s and RBZ driver against my current Superfast. I knew that I will enjoy the RBZ since I had the opportunity to borrow it during the Outing for a round. I wanted some firm #'s to reassure my lust and pondering for a new driver. It boiled down that the R11s gave me 20 more yards and the RBZ gave me 30 more yards than my current big stick. No brainer right?

Overall, it was more than I expected out of this evaluation. I give a lot of credit to Becca for her knowledge and passion for the game. I never felt pressured such as going to Edwin Watts and wasting a sale associates time without buying. She insisted that I enjoy the session and that I'm not entitled to buy ANYTHING from them if I didn't want to. That is one of the main reason I wanted to try Golftec and she made my experience exceed my expectations. She went as far as giving me her direct cell # if I had any questions about golf and wanted me to consult her before I make ANY golf purchases. That is truly service. I hope that she has a chance to check out the site and everyone can experience her passion for the game.

For anyone in the Houston area, here is info on the location I visited: http://www.golftec.com/learningcenters/storepage.html?storenumber=13

My Golftec session report (don't laugh at some of my terrible shots): https://www.box.com/s/a82b33abca30aa076162

Finally, I would like to thank JB and the "In the Rough" radio show. Without that episode, I wouldn't have considered getting my set evaluated by Golftec. I believe every golfer should do this as it would open your eyes to how much equipment can influence a person's game. Big thanks to Becca again!! If anyone have any questions, I will do my best to answer. (Sorry for such a long winded write up if you've made it this far)

Awesome man, golftec is truly to notch. What shafts did she have you in.

Tapin for bird

great writeup and looking at the link provided, I like how they give you a ton of inof, but then give you some explanations as to what it means, etc.

Awesome man, golftec is truly to notch. What shafts did she have you in.

Tapin for bird

I have kbs 90 shaft stiff on my 2.0s and she said that I should stick with it based upon my swing speed. I believe im in the 80mph range.

great writeup and looking at the link provided, I like how they give you a ton of inof, but then give you some explanations as to what it means, etc.

That was quite awesome and very professional of them. She emailed me a copy before I left and also printed out a copy for me to keep. Truly, a first class experience.

Nice read BMW, just from reading the swinglab report what order did you hit the irons in? The Burner and R11 were 5 mph faster on average than the other two.

Nice read BMW, just from reading the swinglab report what order did you hit the irons in? The Burner and R11 were 5 mph faster on average than the other two.

2.0, R11, Mizzy, i20.

We took about a 5 min break between clubs to analyze each group of figures. I think the increase in speed was due to the shafts in the TM irons. The other 2 had comparable shafts but not the kbs 90s.

2.0, R11, Mizzy, i20.

We took about a 5 min break between clubs to analyze each group of figures. I think the increase in speed was due to the shafts in the TM irons. The other 2 had comparable shafts but not the kbs 90s.

Gotcha. Proves how much the shaft has to do with maximizing potential of the head.

Gotcha. Proves how much the shaft has to do with maximizing potential of the head.

Thats correct! I honestly can say that I couldnt tell the difference with shaft weight but the numbers dont lie. Id take 5mph extra anyday!

Great info. now I've got to at least look into getting this done myself.

Back