I'm gonna go do a few laps around the neighborhood to warm up, then start building up.
Good stuff dude, let me know how it goes.

I did a 43.7 mile solo ride last week and it was windy as crap, never thought I would make it home off the island.

Nice bike Frank! You done good :)

Just did a quick 1/2 hour and it's definitely going to be a work in progress, but that's why I got it. My goal is an hour a few times a week. Gonna try to go a little further tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Just did a quick 1/2 hour and it's definitely going to be a work in progress, but that's why I got it. My goal is an hour a few times a week. Gonna try to go a little further tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
Nice Frank, you will build up the distance in no time. Just remember, it never gets easier, it just gets faster.

Nice Frank, you will build up the distance in no time. Just remember, it never gets easier, it just gets faster.

I sat on an all carbon road bike, way out of my league, but something to build to, one day

I sat on an all carbon road bike, way out of my league, but something to build to, one day
Which one? Im currently riding a Specialized S Works Tarmac, all carbon and love it. However, for some reason I always go back to my aluminum Allez for the shorter rides.

Which one? Im currently riding a Specialized S Works Tarmac, all carbon and love it. However, for some reason I always go back to my aluminum Allez for the shorter rides.

It was a Trek Madone 3.1. If I ever get Wilson Staff "Serious" I'll go carbon.

FrankA, hopefully your ride goes better than mine did today. I got yelled at by a passenger in a car to "get off the f---ing road" as I was riding into work today. I didn't know it was such a crime for me to be riding my bike in a left-turn lane when I had to turn left!

FrankA, hopefully your ride goes better than mine did today. I got yelled at by a passenger in a car to "get off the f---ing road" as I was riding into work today. I didn't know it was such a crime for me to be riding my bike in a left-turn lane when I had to turn left!
Water bottles make great projectiles.

I will have to be nicer to the cyclists I pass on the road now :alien:.

My new job will be an hour from the house, no riding into work for me.

FrankA, are a getting back into cycling or just starting out? BTW, sweet ride. The carbon are nice machines. I have a couple and are smooth but can be twitchy.

**Tappin' from the center of the middle of the fairway**

FrankA, are a getting back into cycling or just starting out? BTW, sweet ride. The carbon are nice machines. I have a couple and are smooth but can be twitchy.

I am just starting out and got the Trek 7.4. I was really pondering a road bike but it just wasn't as comfortable and was a bit about the price point that I wanted.

I am just starting out and got the Trek 7.4. I was really pondering a road bike but it just wasn't as comfortable and was a bit about the price point that I wanted.

A road bike can be uncomfortable. Once you get your fitness up, you will know when it is time to get one. Happened to a firend of mine who started with a hybrid.

If you don't mind, but I feel I should share this since it helped me out when I first started. It came from a ride with the mechanic from the shop I use to go to. He qualified for the Race Across America so he must know what he is doing was my thought. He always checked to see if I was using the small cog on the front and the chain was somewhere towards the middle or top on the back. He told me to use my "fitness" to last longer. Kinds of hard to explain but I wasn't spinning out but my cadence was high enough to keep the bike going without my big muscles getting tired. My lungs would give out first before I really felt the burn in my thighs. It was also a good way to keep the bike moving smoothly without hitting the wall when a hill came.

I kind of botched that explaination so hopefully you get the idea. Maybe someone can chime in to make more sense of my blabbering explaination.:)

You want to find a gear that is comfortable to "spin" at about 90 RPMs. 1 full revolution = 1 RPM

Usually that gear is the inner ring up front (if pushing a double crank) and a mid gear in back. I'd you're riding a triple crank you might find that comfy gear on the middle ring in front, middle-ish in back.

I definitely will have to play with it a bit and get used to it. I don't have any clinic in the morning so I'm gonna get out and do a few miles.

Thanks spaz and thresh for the advice. Just did a quick 4 miles and it was awesome. I think I could easily double that without problem and I just need to plan a little more. I am weary of the road but I'll get over that.

Tapatalk

Better to start in small increments and enjoy the experience rather than go all machismo and hate the pain, then hate the bike. Smart to increase in maybe 5 mi increments every week or so as your fitness and butt allow.

Thanks spaz and thresh for the advice. Just did a quick 4 miles and it was awesome. I think I could easily double that without problem and I just need to plan a little more. I am weary of the road but I'll get over that.

Tapatalk
The fear of the road goes away after a few rides.

Frank, the problem I have always had with riding, isnt the distance, but being comfortable in the saddle for that long. Being fit for the bike is quite important, as if you plan on doing longer rides it can get quite uncomfortable after sitting on it for 2+ hours.

And please Frank, wear a helmet...

I had a good fitting at a great store. Like them them the best after stopping at like 5 different places. Let me try a lot but didn't try to up sell me at all.

I am wondering about some cycling shorts to better support my crotchal area. Not the tights but some shorts with the cushion built in.

Tapatalk

And please Frank, wear a helmet...

Most definitely.

Also I think owning a bike may be just as expensive as golfing

Tapatalk

I had a good fitting at a great store. Like them them the best after stopping at like 5 different places. Let me try a lot but didn't try to up sell me at all.

I am wondering about some cycling shorts to better support my crotchal area. Not the tights but some shorts with the cushion built in.

Tapatalk
Go with the spandex type and throw some athletic shorts over top if you dont like the biking short look. If you are going to be riding longer distance you need some extra padding, believe me.

Most definitely.

Also I think owning a bike may be just as expensive as golfing

Tapatalk
Cycling has a cult following, much like golf. People spend stupid amounts of money on things they dont need. It's amazing.

They are good... And you can get casual looking shorts with the cycling short/pad as a "liner" in case you're not ready for the whole lycra look. Make sure to try them on... You want the cycling short and chamois to be snug, not baggy. Those wrinkles can hurt :)

Nice bike Frank. You said that your comfort level wasn't right yet for a road bike. I faced the same problem when I got my giant, but the opposite. I felt too high centered on anything that sat me up too high. I ended up going with the Giant Defy 5, and, as my fitness and felxibility increase, I will be dropping the bars more and more each time.

Those carbons are awesome, but, were also WAY out of my price range.

When I do get a chance to ride - which has been nil for the last month or so - I usually just do ym neighborhood anyway. Good mix of hills and flatland. By the end of the summer I will be out into the city more, but, until I get my ability back to the level it was 20 years ago, I'm just diong the neighborhood, or local park with my son. The main thing to remember is that you just need to get out and ride as much as you want.

Back