Changes at Callaway

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Some interesting things are going on in the world of golf and one of them is at Callaway Golf. However this does not just impact Callaway, but also TaylorMade as it got out that Harry Arnett has taken a position with Callaway and left TaylorMade where he has been for the last 5-6 years. Arnett has been VP of marketing for the last 2 years and many feel as though he has done a tremendous job with TaylorMade and their growth.

One area where some feel Callaway is lacking is in their marketing and this could be a push in a different direction.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. TM has been the king of marketing lately, while Callaway seems to try to find something that sticks and if it doesn't they move on to a different strategy. Good move by Callaway picking up Arnett.

Good for Callaway-bad for Taylormade (or good they may get an even better VP of marketing)

I am looking forward to see callaway-an already reputable and awesome company-take off and see what else they come up with

If anybody has benefitted from marketing genius, it's Taylormade.....sounds like a great acquisition for Callaway!

Wasn't Justin Timberlake doing something with them and marketing or did I just make that up?

Does this mean I don't have to listen to TM players talk about clubs they don't use anymore?

Interesting. TM has for a while now been the kings of marketing it seems in the world of Golf. Should be interesting to see how this goes for Callaway, and what happens to TM.

Wasn't Justin Timberlake doing something with them and marketing or did I just make that up?

Yes, JT has been with Callaway for a bit now, I believe.

Smart move by Callaway - TM's marketing has been superb.

Wow. That could be huge for Callaway. Nobody can deny that TM has destroyed just about everybody else in the marketing arena over the last few years.

I am really excited to see what he brings to Callaway.. I think a new marketing direction would be a tremendous benefit for the brand.

Was he responsible for the white heads, or rocketballs? (honest question)

Sad to see him go but happy to see that he can help Callaway out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

My question is: is he the one who infused the RBZ irons with driver DNA?

Callaway is working hard to get back on top, I am excited for this! Can't wait to see how they continue to improve, I have been impressed with their ad campaigns already since Timberlake joined the team.

I think this is really going to change the playing field going forward.

I wonder if he left TM because he had accomplished what he thought he could, or if Callaway was able to "convince him" to change.

Pretty interesting how these companies work inside. Loyalty seems like a fleeting idea, but sounds like a good move by Callaway.

Does Callaway even have a marketing strategy currently?

This could be big, Callaway has had some great gear but they don't seem to have a strategy to get it out there.

Interesting, TM has dominated everyone in marketing and hype the last 5 years and it will be interesting to see if Callaway can make a comeback.

I think this is just a blip on the golfing radar. If he was the vp in design I would expect there might be an effect. Callaway has deeper issues than marketing. It took them forever to jump on the adjustability bandwagon and I think thats what has put them behind. Thats just my opinion though.

I doubt he was responsible for the color of the heads, maybe he had a hand in the name. He would definitely be responsible for the coordinated look of TM staffers at tournaments, and the huge R-11 replica being used as a foul ball pole in right field at PETCO Park. All of these 'outside the box' marketing moves helped make Taylormade a much more dominant presence among golfers NOT on the PGA Tour. Let's face it, weekend hackers like us are the ones who affect their bottom line. If he can bring that same kind of fresh approach to Callaway, their recent decline in market share may be reversed.

Most interesting thing about this thread? There is a registered user named "Callaway Golf" that is viewing this thread right now. Hope that we're providing some free market research for that user.

I think this is just a blip on the golfing radar. If he was the vp in design I would expect there might be an effect. Callaway has deeper issues than marketing. It took them forever to jump on the adjustability bandwagon and I think thats what has put them behind. Thats just my opinion though.

Im not sure I agree here. Cleveland and Ping have not added adjustability. Nickent which was one of the first to do it, had no success with it and was forced to close despite putting out great equipment. I think marketing plays a MUCH larger role that people give credit for. Unfortunate yes, but true.

If anybody has benefitted from marketing genius, it's Taylormade.....sounds like a great acquisition for Callaway!

My thoughts exactly, this is going to be huge for Callaway imo. If they keep putting out solid products, with a TM'ish marketing scheme...their perception in the market could really explode.

To say this is just a "blip on the radar" is insane, imo. Marketing, in terms of golf club sales, in exponentially more important than the clubs themselves. The general public buys clubs based on what they perceive to be the best...marketing is the driver of that perception. We here at THP are not the "general public".

Back