Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Wow, westy's playing them too. That's news in and of itself. How long till mahan and bubba give em a go?

Best ball striker in the world's stamp of approval. Word.

After he heard I was gaming them he had to make the switch.

Still waiting for mine to arrive and a big weekend away planned in 2 days too :banghead:

On a plus note, I mentioned to my dad that I was switching to Ping Irons. He said "Son, I have a Beryllium Eye 2 lob wedge (he inherited it from his close friend Mike who tragically passed away) that I've never hit but Mike loved it. It's been sitting in the attic for the last 10 years. Give it a shot and if you don't like it maybe we should sell it as it's wasted up there"

Now, I did some research on ebay etc and heard that particular club was rare and worth a bit of money so was nervous when he handed me this old brown coloured club. The grooves were still pretty sharp and it was in great condition so I took my Vokey SM out of my bag and decided to try this brown thing last night on the course. First pitch from 80 yards landed soft and rolled up to 4 feet. Nobody else was on the course so I practiced around the greens under different lies etc. Soft spinned filled chips and easy bunker saves again and again and again. After a few shots the thing started to shine and a gleaming copper colour greeted me almost as if Mike was there and the club was thanking me. That's it for me. See you Vokey! What a club. Even thinking about trying the new version S wedge to complete my set when/if my i20's arrive. :banana:
Just thought I'd share my story...

Still waiting for mine to arrive and a big weekend away planned in 2 days too :banghead:

On a plus note, I mentioned to my dad that I was switching to Ping Irons. He said "Son, I have a Beryllium Eye 2 lob wedge (he inherited it from his close friend Mike who tragically passed away) that I've never hit but Mike loved it. It's been sitting in the attic for the last 10 years. Give it a shot and if you don't like it maybe we should sell it as it's wasted up there"

Now, I did some research on ebay etc and heard that particular club was rare and worth a bit of money so was nervous when he handed me this old brown coloured club. The grooves were still pretty sharp and it was in great condition so I took my Vokey SM out of my bag and decided to try this brown thing last night on the course. First pitch from 80 yards landed soft and rolled up to 4 feet. Nobody else was on the course so I practiced around the greens under different lies etc. Soft spinned filled chips and easy bunker saves again and again and again. After a few shots the thing started to shine and a gleaming copper colour greeted me almost as if Mike was there and the club was thanking me. That's it for me. See you Vokey! What a club. Even thinking about trying the new version S wedge to complete my set when/if my i20's arrive. :banana:
Just thought I'd share my story...

Pretty cool story there, Wonky. Those BeCu wedges were a huge hit and stuck around for a while...let us know how the new Tour S version stacks up when you get it.

Very cool story Wonky! Ive been hitting these irons very well. Not tester well, but well for me. All this talk of the long irons has me intrigued. Hit GDs once and had a decent result. Caught it a little fat but the ball still flew pretty true. Came up a few yards short of the green.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Pretty cool story there, Wonky. Those BeCu wedges were a huge hit and stuck around for a while...let us know how the new Tour S version stacks up when you get it.

Cheers! I was thinking about trying the Eye 2 XG wedges as it's a progression from the old one but yet to decide. Will let you know though.

Had a pretty "rough" round yesterday with sharkwrestler. The rough was 3.5 to 4 inches long, grabby. It was a stroke penalty if you missed the fairway. This is by far the worst round with the i20's, but here are some thoughts on the day.

The ball striking was not there yesterday and balls were all over the club face. The few I hit off the toe were harsh and with a stuck swing, I tried to save it by flipping the hands, the i20s saved the ball from hooking hard to merely a pulled shot. It lost some distance but made my bad shot slightly less bad. The toe weighting made the toe ball not harsh at all. The only thing that made it harsh were my Nike 20xI balls. Can't wait for a review thread on those! :bulgy eyes:

There were a couple of good shots in there and boy were they flying. I'm struggling a little bit with these clubs because they are half to a full club longer than my i10s. The lighter cfs shaft and stepping down to regular may have helped my distance. A nice smooth moderate tempo makes these clubs sing. Shots where I torque it up I feel like I lose my club head and end up push slicing off to the right. Sharkwrestler will show a 194 yard par 3 with my 4 iron in a HOTD vid.

The added distance is a welcome feature but can't wait to stick the KbS tour 90s in to compare mishits, good contact and dispersion. More thoughts on the i20s later

Ok guys! Get this for Ping UK. As you know, I'm itching to get my hands on my i20's so I decided to follow thee order up. I was hoping and praying to get my new irons for this weekend as it fell into the 10-14 working days that I was quoted when purchasing them. I have now been informed that my irons will NOT be available until the 29th of June. I live in a country where golf isn't possible all year so that's another Month out of an already short season. Ping should have made the shop aware of the backlog but apparently they never did. Surely, Ping should have enough irons to cover their orders and as a consumer I'm more than a little disgruntled. By the time I get mine they will almost be on sale. Any suggestions? I've already said to the retailer that I'd like some sort of compensation (e.g. a Sand Wedge etc.) but feel this is Pings fault.
Not a happy guy!!!

TC might have just shed a tear. Lee Westwood just switched to the i20s it appears.

TC might have just shed a tear. Lee Westwood just switched to the i20s it appears.

Just saw that on Morning Drive...and he's switched to the Nome as well! About time!

He's gonna play them in the US Open? I didn't think he was going to switch. Ever. Ping must have used some Jedi mind tricks on him.

Lee should have switched a while ago it seems

man that means I'm the only one left playing i10's

Time to step it up Dean!

He's gonna play them in the US Open? I didn't think he was going to switch. Ever. Ping must have used some Jedi mind tricks on him.

He must have been following this thread. :D

man that means I'm the only one left playing i10's

I'll be saying that about the i20s when the i30s come out.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Quick question for you seasoned vets out there. I'm really getting much better contact and pretty good direction now that I've had these clubs for about 2 months, but now I'm finding that my ball is getting caught up and significantly affected by the wind, especially with my 6 thru 8 irons. I mean the ball travels the 150-190 yards I would expect but it's definitely drifting offline. So my question is how much ball flight height should one expect on these? Is this a shaft issue (I have CFS stiff) or should I just try to learn a knockdown shot now?

Also almost broke 90 for the first time yesterday!!! Still gotta get my short game together and who needs a driver when you can crush a 4i off the tee 210yd!!!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Hj, there are balls that can help with wind. Doesn't sound like an issue that is truly equipment based. In high winds I play the ball back in my stance a little to knock things down.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Hj, there are balls that can help with wind. Doesn't sound like an issue that is truly equipment based. In high winds I play the ball back in my stance a little to knock things down.

Thanks, Griff, I'll work on the knock down.

Update! It turns out the problem with my order is with a shortage of U wedges to Ping in the UK. My retailer have been great and have offered an Eye 2 XG Sand wedge for less than half price to complete my Ping iron set and to tie in the the original Eye 2 Beryllium Lob wedge I mentioned earlier. The retailer has also requested that all the other irons apart from the U wedge be delivered next week with the remaining club on/around the 29th so alls well that ends well really.
Itching to get my new babies in my bag now.

Thanks, Griff, I'll work on the knock down.

It could be a swing thing, too. Not sure if you are coming through impact with your hands ahead of the ball or not, but it may be something worth looking at.

For me, I have a high SS, and pairing that with the fact that my ball goes very high even though I [normally] have a nice descending blow on the ball with my hands ahead...I had to go with the C Tapers. Even with them, in an X flex, I still hit the ball quite high at times. The good thing is that it still cuts through the wind and doesn't balloon on me...that is the biggest thing to look at. If the wind is super strong, always have a knockdown in the bag (remember a knockdown starts with 1 club more and an easier swing).

It could be a swing thing, too. Not sure if you are coming through impact with your hands ahead of the ball or not, but it may be something worth looking at.

I've got a lesson scheduled for next Monday evening, so I'll bring it up with my instructor. I think the ball is definitely achieving the distance that it should with the club, it just seems to drift a bit once it's reached the apex of the it's flight. Could just be normal since I've never really played as consistently as I am now or tried to better my game as much either. I will definitely start working on the knockdown though; thanks for the insight IHWT!!!

Newbie here - I just got my i20's white dot, KBS tour stiff, PW-5, 23 & 20 degree i20 hybrids. I'll report back after the round. They are sweet off of a mat so far. I wanted a little more distance/forgiveness from my MP-57's project x 6.0.

Back