Official 2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the thunder being in the finals make you root for any particular team in the east? I know for me I would have loved to see a Celtics/Spurs matchup, but now that OKC is through, I really want to see MIA/OKC duke it out.
Would like to see Durant get his ring against the Big 3 but if they lost tonight I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah I agree. Either wanted celtics/spurs or thunder/heat

Interesting perspective from TrueHoop on ESPN today:

For a role model, James can look to his nemesis in this series, Kevin Garnett. When Garnett was losing seven consecutive postseason series, and then missing the playoffs entirely for his last three seasons in Minnesota, he got crucified too. Fans and media alike preached along these lines: "Great stats, can't lead, can't take over the game, wants to pass the ball when the chips are down, can't win the big one."

So what happened? He bailed on the Midwest, found a better-run team, formed a Big 3 (or 4) and won a title that forever immunized him from the nattering nabobs. He has proven he's a great champion. But he was always a player of that caliber, even if we could only see that once it was reflected in shiny diamonds of his title ring.

Interesting perspective from TrueHoop on ESPN today:

It is interesting to see the parallels, however in my opinion there are two very different things.
KG was never viewed as the best on the planet.
KG gave the Wolves 12 years of service or so before the team and he wanted to go in different directions.

It is interesting to see the parallels, however in my opinion there are two very different things.
KG gave the Wolves 12 years of service or so before the team and he wanted to go in different directions.
And do you remember anyone on those Wolves teams other than KG? His supporting cast was a bit lacking.

I think the biggest difference is how KG and James handle their own egos. I have no love for Garnett but he never called himself a king, or pulled a stunt like the decision.

And do you remember anyone on those Wolves teams other than KG? His supporting cast was a bit lacking.

Cmon now. Gugliotta, Stephon? Both of those guys did some decent battle with him, but KG was the guy that kept it together. They were up against a crazy talented Houston team at the time. After that he had Cassell and Choke your coach.

Cmon now. Gugliotta, Stephon? Both of those guys did some decent battle with him, but KG was the guy that kept it together. They were up against a crazy talented Houston team at the time. After that he had Cassell and Choke your coach.
Yea, and the Lakers had something to say about that during his time there.

Another major difference that people seem to forget is that Garnett did not leave in free agency.

TOM GUGLIOTTA!!! hahaha...thank you for bringing him up, i had almost completely forgotten about him. Oh, googs.

On a side note...if anyone cares, i thought this was a pretty good article on the implosion of sonics management from an insiders perspective.

http://deadspin.com/5907371/howard-...n-the-shabby-death-of-the-seattle-supersonics

Schultz was pretty much always the problem. Along with the stadium ofcourse (Good call retrofitting a 30 year old stadium in 1994 instead of building a new one Seattle!) I do think Bennett had no intention of keeping the sonics in seattle but it was somewhat of a lost cause at that point.

And people need to remember that it was Clay Bennett that brought in Sam Presti, who then proceeded to work some GM Jedi magic and turn a pretty awful roster with no cap room to well...this OKC team. No sale to Bennett probably would have meant no Sam Presti which would have meant, who knows what?

Anyway, I hope the Sonics' angle doesnt get brought up too much or at all in the sports news world. OKC should get to enjoy this moment (although its probably the first of many like it).

Oh also...in case you guys didnt know, its Hondo that really drives the celtics...KJ aint too bad either, Mayor says so...

http://deadspin.com/5916631/mayor-of-boston-credits-kj-and-hondo-for-teams-heart-success

This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not a boston sports fan (except for the Bruins) but I appreciate the fact that the fans up there bleed for their teams. For a mayor to be so dissinterested to the point of getting star players names wrong in the midst of a huge playoff series, huge miss. Would have been much better off keeping his mouth closed or sticking to the team effort.

I think the biggest difference is how KG and James handle their own egos. I have no love for Garnett but he never called himself a king, or pulled a stunt like the decision.

Agreed, although their situations were similar, I think KG handled it with a lot more class and I'm sure Minnesota doesn't despise him as much as Cleveland does Lebron.

Agreed, although their situations were similar, I think KG handled it with a lot more class and I'm sure Minnesota doesn't despise him as much as Cleveland does Lebron.

I believe that in the first year he was with the Celtics, KG was injured at the time of their one game in Minnesota that year. He made the trip with the team, and the T'Wolves announced he was there before the game, and he got a standing ovation. In other words, about the complete opposite as the reception that Lebron got in his first game back in Cleveland.

I agree with JB that there are differences between KG's situation and Lebron's situation, but I think the point is that Lebron's career and legacy aren't defined yet, he has time to win a title and quiet the naysayers. Also, even though KG got traded, he definitely had a hand in that decision, he wasn't going to get traded to just any team, it had to be the right situation. I think that Pierce was involved in convincing KG to agree to the trade, because KG initially didn't want to come to Boston.

nobody wanted to go to Boston at that time if you remember right. Then draft night they trade Green for Allen and shortly after get KG.

So what's the feeling tonight....they going to game 7 or is it over? I hope it's better than their game 6 last year when they were down 3-2. :bashful:

So what's the feeling tonight....they going to game 7 or is it over? I hope it's better than their game 6 last year when they were down 3-2.

I'm thinking the Celtics will pull this one out late. The Garden's gonna be rocking.

I'm thinking the Celtics will pull this one out late. The Garden's gonna be rocking.

My thoughts exactly, sadly, and to think the Heat had a 2-0 series lead

My thoughts exactly, sadly, and to think the Heat had a 2-0 series lead

Both series were 2-0 and will probably end the same way with the other team coming back to victory. Will be a great final none the less OKC vs Miami/Boston will be a great final.

I picked a OKC/Miami finals before the season with Miami winning so I'm gonna say Miami wins tonight...

Heat tonight-Win or go home

Heat tonight-Win or go home

Do the Heat win tonight or do they spit the bit and end their season?

Merged with the NBA thread.

Sam Cassell! :bulgy-eyes:

LBJ getting ready to go HAM on those poor Celtics... *slowly backs out of room*

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

What is tonight going to be like? A bar fight! Let KG explain:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back