Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Give them some credit, that is how I found this great forum!

Hi there. Just back from my visit to Arizona where I was fitted for i20's of course. Green dot, CFS Stiff shaft at +0.5". Now all I have to do is get the cash to order them.

I was also treated to a private tour of the Ping facility. It is nice to know someone who knows someone!!!

As you would suspect, Ping build the irons in sets and built to order. They are working around the clock to try and catch up to the huge amount of orders they have received. So, if you are waiting on your i20's, be patient as they are working very hard to get sets out. I was surprised to see that the lie angle is manually set by very calibrated hands. It was very impressive to watch.

The Nome putters are also milled from aluminium blocks at this facility with CNC milling machines to very high accuracy.

I also saw the special edition Pink "Bubba" Drivers being assembled. They had a picture recently on Facebook of the heads and I saw them in person. Very Cool!

Had a change to go into the touring trailer as well. This is where they assembly/adjust the pros equipment at the course. t is different seeing this in person rather than on TV.

One last comment on this amazing facility. The driving range has a huge and I mean Huge fence at he end that they had to install because one person kept hitting balls into the neighbouring businesses. This is called the "Bubba" fence. Apparently, he can still hit it over the fence but it takes a 380+ yard drive to do it. btw, their range balls are ProV1's.

All in all a great day. I certainly pays to know someone who knows someone to get an opportunity like this.

Now, I can't wait to order my i20's

Is anyone interested in a Ping I 20, 2H, 17* with Ping TFC 707 H Stiff flex? Let me know!!

Is anyone interested in a Ping I 20, 2H, 17* with Ping TFC 707 H Stiff flex? Let me know!!

Stuff like this needs to be posted in the marketplace. The marketplace is assessable after you have reached 25 posts. Please do not post items for sale in review threads.

Thanks Jeff, I didnt know.

I have all of the I 20's. They are a very solid club. I just think I may need another wedge instead of my 17* hybrid.

I have all of the I 20's. They are a very solid club. I just think I may need another wedge instead of my 17* hybrid.

What kind of set up through the bag do you have? Sometimes adding a wedge is the best call you can make, if your set up warrants one.

I'm with ya, dude. I can't decide between a 3 iron (1° strong) or a hybrid. I haven't hit any hybrids since the TM Rescue Mid (which I bad currently), so I am having trouble pulling the trigger before trying something else out...even though I have a strong love for my 4 iron.

all i 20's, driver 8.5, 3wd 15, hyb 17,20-- 4-Pw, UW,SW

After playing with my new i20 for a couple of weeks I like them more and more. Last round I could feel a real confidence boost. In the stats for 3½ rounds I have increased GIR from 30% up to a wooping 50%. Only 3 rounds, but the feeling is "I can't miss the green". Together with a new ball (Bridgestone B333-RX) and betters drives I have shorter distance to hole and since the i20 now adds another 5-10 yards to previos clubs the difference can be 2 clubs less on approach shots - one explenation to higher GIR.

There's something to be said about clubs that can still amaze you with what they can do a few times a round even after gaming them for several months.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

68 - 64 in the first 2 rounds of Lee Westwood's career with i20's. That's nifty.

68 - 64 in the first 2 rounds of Lee Westwood's career with i20's. That's nifty.

I credit the nome

Got the new sticks last night (3 weeks total). I'll give the rundown after the weekend but thought I'd show you the engraving. It's WAY smaller than I expected but still pretty cool. I suppose I had an unrealistic vision that the engraving would be similar size to "Ping" on the hosel. You can see that the 5 from the serial number is almost as big as two letters. Anyhow, hopefully you can see the photo. Wanted to share in case anyone else was considering custom engraving.

View attachment 4724

Now, maybe (just maybe), I can find a reason to like/root for Lee...

...maybe.

He is destroying that tournament. Next week the I20's win the US open.

Unless the i20's can get inside Westwood's head then I can't see him doing it. It's all down to his bottle in the Majors. Lee just doesn't seem to have it. I fancy Donald or Rose if you had to pick an Englishman. I also didn't like his comments about Rory before the last round of last years US Open about him choking. Was under the belt especially from a guy that has a history of under achieving in Majors.

Unless the i20's can get inside Westwood's head then I can't see him doing it. It's all down to his bottle in the Majors. Lee just doesn't seem to have it. I fancy Donald or Rose if you had to pick an Englishman. I also didn't like his comments about Rory before the last round of last years US Open about him choking. Was under the belt especially from a guy that has a history of under achieving in Majors.

Hmm I don't remember those comments. Any links?

There has apparently been an on going issue between the 2 for a while now. One comment from Lee that sticks in people's minds over here is his comment about Rory: 'we all remember what happened at Augusta' in addition to the “I’ve played with Rory and he does snap-hook under pressure.” comment. I was always a fan of Westwood until the end of last years US Open but that turned me off him. I just remember thinking he sounded childish at the time and could/should have been supportive towards his fellow Ryder Cup team mate ESPECIALLY after the Augusta meltdown. Rory is just a young man afterall and must have been feeling the pressure at the time anyway. Lee should have also kept childish comments like those to himself.
Here's a link I found: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/8851227/Lee-Westwood-and-Rory-McIlroy-paired-together-for-opening-round-of-the-Shanghai-Masters.html

There has apparently been an on going issue between the 2 for a while now. One comment from Lee that sticks in people's minds over here is his 'we all remember what happened at Augusta' in addition to the “I’ve played with Rory and he does snap-hook under pressure.” comment. I was always a fan of Westwood until the end of last years US Open but that turned me off him. I just remember thinking he sounded childish at the time and could/should have been supportive towards his fellow Ryder Cup team mate ESPECIALLY after the August meltdown. He should have also kept childish comments like those to himself.
Here's a link I found: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/8851227/Lee-Westwood-and-Rory-McIlroy-paired-together-for-opening-round-of-the-Shanghai-Masters.html

Thanks for the link. I can see where someone might have got the wrong idea but a lot of the time these comments are taken out of context. It's weird I don't remember hearing all of this.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the link. I can see where someone might have got the wrong idea but a lot of the time these comments are taken out of context. It's weird I don't remember hearing all of this.

Thanks again!

No problem JRod!

To be honest though, McIlroy has said some stuff too and could possibly be a complete tool compared to Lee but it appears to have started after the Augusta comments and snowballed. Handbags at dawn anyone?

May not like what I've read and heard from Lee but at the end of the day I would probably think he was a good bloke if I met him and obviously don't know him personally. I do LOVE the look of his new irons though.

Hope you are on the mend. Did I read you were injured?

No problem JRod!

To be honest though, McIlroy has said some stuff too and could possibly be a complete tool compared to Lee but it appears to have started after the Augusta comments and snowballed. Handbags at dawn anyone?

May not like what I've read and heard from Lee but at the end of the day I would probably think he was a good bloke if I met him and obviously don't know him personally. I do LOVE the look of his new irons though.

Hope you are on the mend. Did I read you were injured?

Yes sir but hopefully the miracles of modern science have me fixed. I will find out tomorrow and will be in here updating my progress with the new irons daily if the wrist can hold up!

Back