Was Cut Off, Guy Stops, Get out of Car, Approaches my window...

if you're too scrawny to physically defend yourself, what's to say the dude won't grab the gun from your hand and hit you in the face with it?

guns aren't the answer, not provoking crazy people is the answer

you honking back at the guy escalated the situation, right or wrong.... you share fault for your own attack for escalating the situation

the last thing anyone needs is a guy with a road rage problem AND a gun

This is where you are beyond wrong.. As a lot of the last posts have stated, there are many situations that are completely unprovoked. If you come home and find someone in your home, or someone pulls a knife on you to steal your wallet, are these situations provoked? You can't say that honking back at someone while driving down the street directs the fault "for your own attack." Please, don't be a clown...

Maybe this should be moved to the debate room???

On a lighter note...

This is where you are beyond wrong.. As a lot of the last posts have stated, there are many situations that are completely unprovoked. If you come home and find someone in your home, or someone pulls a knife on you to steal your wallet, are these situations provoked? You can't say that honking back at someone while driving down the street directs the fault "for your own attack." Please, don't be a clown...

He didn't say that in all situations the attacker was provoked, he said that in this situation the OP provoked the other person.

I am in a weird spot with this, I am pro concealed carry, but I would never do it myself, I spent too much time carrying a gun while deployed to want to do it while I'm home.There are also too many situations where trying to go for a gun would get you hurt, especially with the minimal amount of training needed to obtain a CCP. I do always carry pepper spray, its easier to use in close quarters, and pretty effective.

Road Rage is a tricky thing and you really have to be careful about what to do. Big city, you hear news reports of people getting shot because of road rage. Never had someone get out of the car on me but have had some situations where someone almost ran me off the road because they were not paying attention but I was and was able to adjust. I let them know about how I felt. Now with kids, I am more careful about my reactions.

Sorry that happend to you. I'm sure it was a scary situation at the time.

I have debated on getting a CC permit, for protection. It's easy as heck to get one in AL, but I decided against it in favor of an assisted opening knife. I am much more comfortable with a knife, and I can get to it quicker.

JR, you would just need to open your window and breathe on the guy. That hot stuff you eat probably makes you better than a wimpy old can of pepper spray.:act-up:

On the topic, a lot of people confuse a slightly dangerous situation with a deadly one. It's true that you never know what the other person is planning or capable of but there is a big difference between getting into a fight and maybe getting hurt and a confrontation where you or your family's lives are at risk.

That's the biggest problem with CWP's. I'm not against them, I just think that they have the potential to turn a minor incident into something tragic. I have firearms in my home and would use them to protect my family but I don't think I could trust myself to always make the right decision out in public. At least with pepper spray, if you make a bad choice you won't have taken someone's life.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

of course there are situations that can be completely unprovoked.... but this wasn't one of them...

if instead of honking, our OP waved his hand peacefully..(or just ignored the guy) the situation ends without the other guy getting out of his car

honking escalated the situation.. if our OP hadn't honked back he wouldn't have been put in that situation.

if you're going to run around provoking people, and you think you need protection from the people who you're inciting... maybe stop inciting and provoking people instead of deciding you need a gun.

I'm not anti gun, I'm anti stupid

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Amen brother, let the dead man sue you. Not trying to be funny but if you are in a situation where you need to chose its you or him, I vote me 10 out of 10 times. It's harder to do it then say it however you need to protect yourself and your family regardless of what anybody is saying. I'm glad you are ok, you live in Houston if I'm not mistaken, one of the worst traffic cities in US, it's expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off I want to say that Spray is by no means a valid replacement for a gun. For some people, it shuts them down. But I have seen more than one person get sprayed and it have very little effect other than pissing them off. Some people are just very tolerant or conditioned to it. IF the person is on certain drugs you can forget it.

Carrying or not is all about knowing yourself. Are you the kind of person who will pull it because you are pissed off? If you are forget it. Will you pull the trigger if necessary? Like others have said if you pull a gun and are afraid of using it, that is much worse than not having one at all. If you know your temperament and know how you will act in stressful situations, and being former military I imagine you do. Then I really see no reason not to get a Carry permit and firearm. The piece of mind is worth it even if you never use it.

of course there are situations that can be completely unprovoked.... but this wasn't one of them...

if instead of honking, our OP waved his hand peacefully..(or just ignored the guy) the situation ends without the other guy getting out of his car

honking escalated the situation.. if our OP hadn't honked back he wouldn't have been put in that situation.

if you're going to run around provoking people, and you think you need protection from the people who you're inciting... maybe stop inciting and provoking people instead of deciding you need a gun.

I'm not anti gun, I'm anti stupid

Dude, honking the horn at someone is hardly a reason for them to stop traffic and create a massive scene. At all. You keep saying that he provoked the situation but, come on, he honked the horn. People honk the horn all the time. I drive on interstates all the time and probably honk the horn at someone once a day.

Dude, honking the horn at someone is hardly a reason for them to stop traffic and create a massive scene. At all. You keep saying that he provoked the situation but, come on, he honked the horn. People honk the horn all the time. I drive on interstates all the time and probably honk the horn at someone once a day.

honking the horn is MORE of a reason to stop traffic and create a scene compared to NOT honking the horn

is it really that hard to grasp? when someone lets out a 5 second horn blast at you does it make you feel warm and fuzzy or is it aggrivating?

honking at someone mean different things in different situations, but honking back at someone as retaliation for them honking at you.... does that sound like the nice thing to do? if someone flips you off in traffic is the appropriate response to flip them off right back?

honking the horn is MORE of a reason to stop traffic and create a scene compared to NOT honking the horn

is it really that hard to grasp? when someone lets out a 5 second horn blast at you does it make you feel warm and fuzzy or is it aggrivating?

honking at someone mean different things in different situations, but honking back at someone as retaliation for them honking at you.... does that sound like the nice thing to do? if someone flips you off in traffic is the appropriate response to flip them off right back?

Neither are a reason to stop traffic and create a scene - that's my point.

The first question to ask yourself is "Am I capable of killing someone to protect my family and myself?" This is a huge question not to be taken lightly because people routinely are killed or injured with their own firearms. If you can honestly answer "yes" then by all means get your CCW permit, get some serious training that addresses your disability and how it might impact your firearm-handling skills (loading, malfunction clearing, etc.) then practice practice practice worst-case scenarios (shooting while seated, shooting from your side and while flat on your back, shooting while utilizing different types of cover, shooting with highly elevated heart rate). Criminals and thugs will attack you when you are at your weakest moment and they have the upper hand. Anyone who aggressively approaches me or my vehicle and strikes it, with or without my family present, is going to be looking at a pistol. KCM

Castle doctrine law should apply to every state, than there would not be any of these issues. I am a firm believer in carrying, you never know what situation will be thrown at you day to day. When I first got my CCW I was a bit nervous carrying for the first week or two, now its like putting on my shoes every day. Most will never have to raise there weapon but if that situation ever came about I would rather protect my wife and myself.

The first question to ask yourself is "Am I capable of killing someone to protect my family and myself?" This is a huge question not to be taken lightly because people routinely are killed or injured with their own firearms. If you can honestly answer "yes" then by all means get your CCW permit, get some serious training that addresses your disability and how it might impact your firearm-handling skills (loading, malfunction clearing, etc.) then practice practice practice worst-case scenarios (shooting while seated, shooting from your side and while flat on your back, shooting while utilizing different types of cover, shooting with highly elevated heart rate). Criminals and thugs will attack you when you are at your weakest moment and they have the upper hand. Anyone who aggressively approaches me or my vehicle and strikes it, with or without my family present, is going to be looking at a pistol. KCM

This is my biggest problem with concealed carry, most people get very little training on how to use a weapon in tactical situations and end up introducing a gun to an already dangerous situation.

I was talking to a friend about different CQB training I did while we were in, and there was so much he didn't understand about good decision making, and when it's a good idea to pull and when it's a good idea to hand over your wallet if someone has the jump of you. He could recite all the legalese they taught in class but that was it.

This is my biggest problem with concealed carry, most people get very little training on how to use a weapon in tactical situations and end up introducing a gun to an already dangerous situation.

I was talking to a friend about different CQB training I did while we were in, and there was so much he didn't understand about good decision making, and when it's a good idea to pull and when it's a good idea to hand over your wallet if someone has the jump of you. He could recite all the legalese they taught in class but that was it.

Exactly. Queue the Chris Rock.

Castle doctrine law should apply to every state, than there would not be any of these issues. I am a firm believer in carrying, you never know what situation will be thrown at you day to day. When I first got my CCW I was a bit nervous carrying for the first week or two, now its like putting on my shoes every day. Most will never have to raise there weapon but if that situation ever came about I would rather protect my wife and myself.

ignore him, he lives in Virginia, having just visited there, I certainly wouldnt go back without a gun

I'd probably hop out, beat his arse and proceed to throw him across the hood of my pickup truck :angry:

I'm sorry, but that guy is a douche.

guns_dont_kill_people_happy_gilmore.jpg

Sorry to hear about this man. Some people are just pieces of crap.

I'd probably hop out, beat his arse and proceed to throw him across the hood of my pickup truck :angry:

Same here. I had a tool act like a tough guy like that to me once. I got out of the car and was twice his size. He kept on and on and on so I punched him in his nose. Most people don't know what to do if you bust their nose open. They fall down, can't see at all and start freaking out. Most of the idiots I've run into that cause scenes in traffic are all talk anyway.

You did the right thing by ignoring him getting his tag # and calling the cops. The guy I punched in the face pressed charges against me. He lost in court though because too many witnesses said he provoked it and I was acting in self defense.

Same here. I had a tool act like a tough guy like that to me once. I got out of the car and was twice his size. He kept on and on and on so I punched him in his nose. Most people don't know what to do if you bust their nose open. They fall down, can't see at all and start freaking out. Most of the idiots I've run into that cause scenes in traffic are all talk anyway.

You did the right thing by ignoring him getting his tag # and calling the cops. The guy I punched in the face pressed charges against me. He lost in court though because too many witnesses said he provoked it and I was acting in self defense.

Gave him the ol' one-two piece...

Back