using practice greens

I do it on one of the city courses when I don't feel like driving to my club. My 3,600 property tax bill makes me feel incredibly unguilty about doing it too.

Same here with the local state run course... only my $15k / yr property/school tax pains me beyond belief when I see what others pay!

Once the kids graduate HS, we are so outta NY...

There's a (sort of) junky muni within 2 minutes of my house who practice green I go to all the time to chip/putt. On the other hand, about 5 minutes away is a part-private/part-public course with some really nice greens that I go to as well (although I usually play while I'm there). Most people aren't too bad about it, and I have yet to have a problem with anybody getting irritated

Both the short game practice areas close to my house are courses a play and neither has an issue with someone come up and jsing the areas. One has about a 60 yard short game area and a putting green only. The other has a putting seperate for the short game area area. I usually don't venture over there and stay in the short game area, it has a bunker, and several little chipping area to really replicate any chip you want.

thanks for all the reply's i decided to go yesterday and work on my sand game and had no problems i just asked in the pro shop and they said that it was no problems

I think they're high, but you'd have to see my house I guess. Here's a pic I snapped a few weeks ago.

shack-718559.jpg
Hawk....have you been taken to the Woodshed by OG!

It depends on the course... In my mind there are 3 different types of courses/facilities:
Private/Member Only/Country Clubs: Open only to Members any time and guests of members playing that day. Don't even try!
Public Private courses: Open to any paying customers. If you are not paying to play or use the range you shouldn't be using the putting/chipping greens
Municipal Public City/County run courses: Go for it... Your taxes are paying for it... Chip and putt to your hearts content...

My .02 Unless you're giving the course something, like playing a round there every once in a while, buying lunch or picking up something from the pro-shop, you're taking advantage of them.

If you play on the course often, I think it is fair game. However, if you live near a course but never play any rounds there, I think it would be frowned upon to just use their putting green and leave.

Back