Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Love the way those are wearing, SW. Such a good look for a wedge.

On the Cleveland Golf site it shows the only bounce available in the 588 52* is an 8.
However in Golf Galaxy I think they had 52*'s in 8, 10 and 12 bounces.

I plan on redeeming some travel points for a 588 but the only option they give is loft.
I hope the 52* comes in the 8* bounce but worried it might be a 10 or 12 which I don't want.
Any thoughts?

On the Cleveland Golf site it shows the only bounce available in the 588 52* is an 8.

I plan on redeeming some travel points for a 588 but the only option they give is loft.
I hope the 52* comes in the 8* bounce but worried it might be a 10 or 12 which I don't want.
Any thoughts?

I would go with the website but you can always use the dot system to figure it out. 1 is low bounce, 2 is medium, 3 is high.

--
Tapatalk2

I took my 50 degree 588 in a couple of days ago to get them to shave a bit of the trailing edge off of it to help me on the partial shots. It's amazing how a little grinding can increase the performance of the wedge as I'm neither getting it stuck nor catching it a bit thin, depending on the type of shot I'm hitting. When I took it in I didn't know exactly how much I wanted off but knew I needed some. The guy who runs the place who used to play on the mini tours said he'd grind it how he'd like it based on what I'd told him I wanted and we could always go more if it wasn't enough. Best thing is he didn't charge me. Check that--best thing is that I'm not having the problems I was before.

Got some good pics of my wedges today and sat the raw 60* in coke to remove the rust. Looks great try to post some pics of the wear and stuff tomorrow or Sunday. Thinking spinner shafts in these for a bit to try them out.

Any thoughts?
According to the site, like you said it only comes in 8 degree. I'd call Golf Galaxy directly, if that is who you are ordering from to confirm.

SW, the wear on my sole looks about the same. I think it looks great. Now, if it was just that even on the face, I'd be happy. Stupid amateur and my off-center hits. :D

I took my 50 degree 588 in a couple of days ago to get them to shave a bit of the trailing edge off of it to help me on the partial shots. It's amazing how a little grinding can increase the performance of the wedge as I'm neither getting it stuck nor catching it a bit thin, depending on the type of shot I'm hitting. When I took it in I didn't know exactly how much I wanted off but knew I needed some. The guy who runs the place who used to play on the mini tours said he'd grind it how he'd like it based on what I'd told him I wanted and we could always go more if it wasn't enough. Best thing is he didn't charge me. Check that--best thing is that I'm not having the problems I was before.
That's outstanding, glad it worked for you. I know several people that grind their wedges, so it's not all that uncommon.

Got some good pics of my wedges today and sat the raw 60* in coke to remove the rust. Looks great try to post some pics of the wear and stuff tomorrow or Sunday. Thinking spinner shafts in these for a bit to try them out.
Looking forward to your thoughts on how the two work together. Good luck.

SW, the wear on my sole looks about the same. I think it looks great. Now, if it was just that even on the face, I'd be happy. Stupid amateur and my off-center hits. :D

Haha yeah I've got a nice toe strike on my 50* that serves as a constant reminder to not hit it out there again. Lesson learned...d'oh!

--
Tapatalk2

Haha yeah I've got a nice toe strike on my 50* that serves as a constant reminder to not hit it out there again. Lesson learned...d'oh!

--
Tapatalk2

ditto except on my 56*

According to the site, like you said it only comes in 8 degree. I'd call Golf Galaxy directly, if that is who you are ordering from to confirm.

I'm redeeming travel points through Marriott and on the site you can only pick loft. I hope it comes in the 52* 8* configuration like the site says. I was just worried because I saw more bounce options at Golf Galaxy the other day on the rack in the 52*'s.

I guess for a freebe I can't be too choosy, lol

Gents,
I think I have decided to pull the trigger on 2 588's but need help in selecting my bounce number.

The last wedge in my Wilson Di11 iron set is a 46* so I have decided a 52* and a 58* would fill the gaps out well.

Right now I have 2 Vokeys (which I plan on replacing with the 588's): a 54* 12 bounce and a 60* 4 bounce.
The 54* I only use from the sand as I feel it has to much bounce which leads to inconsistency from the fw.
The 60* 4 bounce, with the lack of practice time lately, is just too high risk for me to try and game anymore.
Since I don't use these Vokeys hardly anymore my old Burner Plus 50* from a previous iron set is used for anything 100 yards and in. Since its a huge cavity back iron set wedge I feel like I am giving something up with touch, feel and spin around the greens.

So I am looking for two versatile wedges that I can do many things with.
The 52* I would like for full shots (thinking this will be my 90 yd club) and also for chipping and partial shots from 90 on in.
The 58* I would like for sand shots and possibly for full shots around 70 yds. Also for short chips and pitches where I need to get a higher flop over a trap or swail, etc.

So my question is which bounce for each would give me the most versatility from many lies, surfaces, etc.?
I was thinking 8 for both...does this sound right?

Thanks

here are the pics of my 2 customs.... i did soak the raw finshed 60* in coke for an hour and it took the rust off. looks really good now. still has that grey finish without the rust. also got 2 DG Spinners today so im gonna be throwing them in these soon to try them out and see how i like those shafts.

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

What put that big nick in the sole of the 60*

--
Tapatalk2

What put that big nick in the sole of the 60*

--
Tapatalk2

my shot of the year out of a lake down in Ocean City Maryland. noticed it the next hole... i was pretty pissed off but it was a really awesome shot so hard to stay mad.

my shot of the year out of a lake down in Ocean City Maryland. noticed it the next hole... i was pretty pissed off but it was a really awesome shot so hard to stay mad.

Now you'll always remember it! I hate junk like that though. The orange is sweet as heck on the black pearl though.

--
Tapatalk2

If I replace the 60 Down the road I'll be getting it in black pearl.

I was pondering a shaft change in these wedges for a little while but after doing some checking on a monitor and lie board I think they just need to be adjusted a little. My hands are lower now at address and when coming back through the ball as well so I'm sticking the heel in the dirt pretty heavily. Hopefully that will get me back to where I know these wedges can take me from past experience.

That is some nick there Buckjob. Just think, you'll have something to remember that shot by besides your memories.

That's a good idea with getting the rust off. I was always a fan of the rust when I had raw wedges. I thought it gave me a little extra bite on the ball.

I was pondering a shaft change in these wedges for a little while but after doing some checking on a monitor and lie board I think they just need to be adjusted a little. My hands are lower now at address and when coming back through the ball as well so I'm sticking the heel in the dirt pretty heavily. Hopefully that will get me back to where I know these wedges can take me from past experience.

That can make a huge difference for you. Be interested to see how it works out.

Tappin from my Team Paradise approved mobile device.

Finally got all my 588 wedges! :) 50, 54, 58, 2 dots.

ClevelandBag011.jpg

Congrats TH! That is a sweet looking bag set up you have there bro.

Tom......I love you......

're golf bag. That thing is amazing.

I sleep with my 588 wedges at night.

..take that for what it's worth

Sweet set up Tom.

Bahester you need help. Lol to funny

Tomahawk we may have eerily similar bags very soon..

I have had my 588 wedges in the bag now for about 4 months and I can say I've never been more confident in my wedge game since they went in the bag. I have wedges I've liked for full shots, and ones I like for chipping, pitching type shots... never one that works for everything. My game has drastically improved from 110 yards in; from full shots to chipping these just work for me. Not to say ever shot is a good one, but I don't think I've ever been as confident with any club in my bag as I am right now with my 588's.

Back