Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I will be prepping by adding copious amounts of sun to my already sun burnt body. Figured it would be good acclimation to the conditions in MB.

Nah, I didn't even bring my sticks with me so all of you dudes have some awesome prep work this weekend.

Short game today. Nothing but short game

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Going out for 18 this afternoon. Haven't done much other than chipping and putting over the last 2 weeks. Had one or two range sessions in there. It has been nice because I haven't been stressing over my swing, my chipping and putting is continuing to improve and that alone is building some confidence. Excited to get out with my dad today to enjoy the round and see if the driver decides to work today :)

Last year in prep for The Morgan Cup I signed up and playing my club championship. It was my first stroke tournament experience since I was in H.S. I think I took some nice experience from that weekend in to the first morgan cup. It helped me stay focused on each shot and really put a bad shot or hole behind me. Well since I joined a new course this year, their championship isn't until post MC 2.0

On Thursday night I went and signed up for the Saratoga County Amateur Tournament. The tournament usually gets a range of 30-50 players and is played over 2 days with 1 cut. The Top 12 scores from day 1 move on to day 2. This year the day 2 course is at a different venue, which is a private course. I figured this tourny would be good to not only see where my game is at, but to see if I can handle nerves once again. The tournament 1st round is this coming Friday, which the 2nd round on Saturday. After seeing some of the names on the list already, making the top 12 would be quite the accomplishment. Hoping I can at least get that part done. Either way I think it's going to be some great prep work.

Good luck Dean, I think playing some competitive golf before the MC will be helpful. I am doing the same thing. O start a match play tournament at my club next week, and the city tournament is at the beginning of July. Even though my game is going through a little slump right now I think getting out there and playing competitively will help eliminate the nerve aspect of playing competitive golf.

SW and I will getting some prep work in today. Should be fun times as usual. Time to go to work.

Good little practice session Ary. My dad never played, but I enjoyed playing with my uncle and grandpa. Have a blast, man!

GH, that's some solid shooting right there, nice job.

Playing 18 with Buckjob, Golf4Life, and Jersey Nate today. Going to concentrate on hitting more GIR's today

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Thanks Biggsy! Have a great round with SW today! Hanks - have a blast with BJ, G4L and JN today! Good luck with those GIR's.

Last year in prep for The Morgan Cup I signed up and playing my club championship. It was my first stroke tournament experience since I was in H.S. I think I took some nice experience from that weekend in to the first morgan cup. It helped me stay focused on each shot and really put a bad shot or hole behind me. Well since I joined a new course this year, their championship isn't until post MC 2.0

On Thursday night I went and signed up for the Saratoga County Amateur Tournament. The tournament usually gets a range of 30-50 players and is played over 2 days with 1 cut. The Top 12 scores from day 1 move on to day 2. This year the day 2 course is at a different venue, which is a private course. I figured this tourny would be good to not only see where my game is at, but to see if I can handle nerves once again. The tournament 1st round is this coming Friday, which the 2nd round on Saturday. After seeing some of the names on the list already, making the top 12 would be quite the accomplishment. Hoping I can at least get that part done. Either way I think it's going to be some great prep work.

Good luck Dean! I think it is a great idea challenging yourself like this. Experience and competition breed success my man.

Good luck Dean! Sounds like great prep.

I got up early and got 9 in. I hit multiple balls to basically get some practice with a few different shots. I didn't play very well and was fighting the sprinklers chasing me around but I did figure a few things out with the driver that made the trip worth while.

Hit the range last night, but did not follow a normal practice routine. I was to excited to hit the M4 that arrived. I forced myself to hit a bunch of irons to loosen up, but then I grabbed the M4 and hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25 balls in a row. Some off the turf, and some off the tee. I am in Mashie love for sure. It is long, straight, with a nice mid-high ball flight that will land soft every time. Going to try and get out for 18 tomorrow and put it to the real test.

The score didn't show it but I had a very good round today. Very good front 9, would have been great but I laid up on a couple 6 footers. On the back I had 2 blow up holes that was just due to carelessness. But I got to play with my brother and dad which was nice because I usually play by myself when I get off work in the evenings. Anyway...We had a great time and it was a blast even though started really strong and thought I had a shot at a really low score. Hit some great drives today which is one thing that has been holding me back. I just recently sold my Taylormade MBs so I had to put the Diablo Forged back in the back, it is so crazy how my accuracy improved when I put the MBs back in the back, and today I felt like I was making great swings and the accuracy was just not as good. Getting another 18 in tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it, I feel like I'm making good swings and pretty soon the results will start showing again. One of these days its just gonna hit me again and its gonna be back in track. Each time I get out everything feels a little better each time. Definitely looking forward to getting the X Forged in the bag within the next couple of weeks I am feeling really good about those clubs and I have been killing the demo 6-iron I have in my bag.

Learned a lot today from my round. I was more aggressive today with some tough pin placements and was rewarded on a few and punished on a few. I found I need to spend a little more time before each shot taking the lie into consideration. When a had a good lie I was rewarded and made some very nice golf shots. When I had a poor lie or was on a the side of a hill and didn't make any adjustments it cost me strokes. I need to get out of the mindset of just adjusting for distance and wind and really think about how the ball is going to come out of the grass. I did do a much better job of keeping the ball below the hole on my appraoch shots and drained some putts because of it. I feel very good about where my game is right now. It is just going to be a about putting everything together for 18 holes.

Good luck Dean! I expect that you will perform very well. You are THP tested and at least for me that tells me you have a good set of nerves.

Just don't seem to have the time right now to prep like I want to. Went to the range early yesterday and worked on short game. Took my time on each shot and hit a medium bucket of pitches and chips. Plus worked a lot on the Pelz method. Walked away from the green feeling underwhelmed with my performance. Couldn't really see all the balls on the green becuase it's up a short hill. As I was driving away you can see the green. I have to say that my grouping was actually very nice. I would say 80% of my shots gave me legitimate chances at sinking the next putt. Every ball was on the green and there were quite a few tap ins.

Not shabby chunky, not shabby at all.

I have the touch of a drunken blind rapist right now. Not cool.

--
Tapatalk2

Not shabby chunky, not shabby at all.

I have the touch of a drunken blind rapist right now. Not cool.

--
Tapatalk2

That slightly worries me since I believe we are in the same villa lol. You will get it down with those wedges Danny. I think at this point short game is what we should be concentrating on. Lets face it. We have our golf swing good or bad. We can all shave some strokes though in the short game

I'm feeling pretty good with a wedge. Just need to let my shoulders do the swinging and it's pretty solid.

I still have three lessons paid for, so I figured I'd schedule one for tomorrow. I need it.

That slightly worries me since I believe we are in the same villa lol. You will get it down with those wedges Danny. I think at this point short game is what we should be concentrating on. Lets face it. We have our golf swing good or bad. We can all shave some strokes though in the short game

True on both accounts but don't worry I'll try to be gentler. I'm giving up a bunch from inside of 30 yards, bunkers to greenside chipping I'm like a bull in a china shop right now.

Only played 9 last night but for a windy day I played pretty well and shot 41. Normally I would just say thats an OK round, but the way I have been playing I am happy with that, and overall I am happy with the way I hit the ball. I had a buyer on my Taylormade MBs last week so I have the Diablo Forged back in the back which is hurting my accuracy and distance control a little bit, but my driving is getting a little bit better so I'm able to keep the ball in play. I might have the Diablos cut down to standard length to see if that helps me. Had some great looks at birdie that just went over the edge.

I've got my plan together for these final 6 weeks before the Morgan Cup.

As I said, I have 3 lesson left and I think I'll use them all in the next 6 weeks. Not really in the hopes that I'll learn something new, but really just to keep myself fresh and my confidence high. I just forget the 'new' swing a few weeks after a lesson and sort of find it/lose it on a daily basis until my next one. It's been awhile since I've had one, so the morale booster will be a good thing.

I'm going to use Wednesdays as a practice day now, rather than my normal after-work 9-hole round, which is usually really rushed and rarely that beneficial to me. I can still play 9 on Mondays, but unfortunately, I really do need the practice to stay fresh. The plan is to split the time 60/40 between short game (including putting) and full swing. My focus on the full swing is going to be irons and other distances that I'd typically see with approach shots. I feel like that is my most glaring weakness right now. I can get off the tee fine, though I'd grab a few lost yards back in a perfect world.

So, basically two things to focus on. Short game and approach shots.

My prep for this week is getting ready for a county tournament on Friday. I have a lesson scheduled for tomorrow night, which will be the first of the year. My short game is pretty concerning right now. Yesterday I shot an 84 and I would say that a bad short game cost me 5 or 6 strokes that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm going to prep like Hawk this week and get my arse in gear.

they didn't happen haha....but I learned what I don't want to do down at the MC, spray the ball all over the course

Thanks Biggsy! Have a great round with SW today! Hanks - have a blast with BJ, G4L and JN today! Good luck with those GIR's.

they didn't happen haha....but I learned what I don't want to do down at the MC, spray the ball all over the course

Sorry to hear man. That is good advice I think no matter where you play hahah.

Hoping to get to the range tonight for some work and play 4 or 5 times this week again. Game is trending in the right direction baby!!

I finally get a chance to play golf during the week for the next 2 weeks. I am actually going to hit the range just to try to get the rhythem of my swing back.

Well bummer, I thought my match play tournament at my course started next week but it starts this week. Match is Saturday, I was excited because if it were next week I would have my X Forged irons to use. Guess that means I better win so I can use them in my next match! Definitely going to be hitting the range a few times this week to work on my woods for my match. My course is pretty narrow with a few holes that open up. But getting off the tee is key, so I need to have the woods in check. Probably going to head to the range here after work today if the rain holds off.

Back