Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

I've hit so many golf balls recently with my new Di11s that I ended up with a trapped nerve and
shoulder blade pain so I had to have vertebral manipulation by an osteopath.
Competition Sunday morning for first round with Di11s so no driving range and complete rest till Sunday.:angry:

I've played the best part of 5 full rounds over the past 11 days and I'm still loving the irons. I've been making swing changes that have meant that I've not been playing the best, but it's coming together now and I'm loving the feeling of the Di11s again and the ball flight is just about spot on. I've mentioned before I used to have problems with anything longer than a 7 iron in my previous set, but I love the 5 and 6 in this set and have no problem getting the ball up in the air for a nice penetrating flight with these. Makes a couple of our longer par 3s a lot easier.

Good to hear that!
My first round with the Di11s is Sunday morning, can't wait (that is, if shoulder is ok).

Played today... and yesterdays lesson was put into practice on a course that was the Second of two championship courses at the venue.

being newish to the game, and my handicap of 28, I was fairly impressed with a round of 106, knowing that I really shouldnt have collected the 8 and three 9's. The greens were in great condition and after a shocking 4 putt on the 1st, i then went on to record 8 1st time putts and the rest were 2 putts.

I took great enjoyment in my new swing, fair less effort needed to play a better shot...

After our round we went to watch the PGA seniors tour that was being played on the other course. As part of the event there was a coaching clinic. Queue me getting another lesson this time on aim and shot direction... So i basically cant wait to get practicing with my virtually ALL NEW, set up and swing pattern...

Oh by the way - the ball was flying off my Di 11's with very little effort... :)

I still really like my DI-11's, even though I recently found that I have the wrong shafts, if I could just re-shaft them I would.

I found out the same thing after a driver fitting. The fitter said I should be playing a straight "R" flex in my irons instead of the uniflex which he said was a bit too stout for my swing speed since the uniflex is somewhere between and Reg and Stiff.

Does anybody know if the fat shats can be reshafted with normal sized shafts or will the head's hossel be too big?

I found out the same thing after a driver fitting. The fitter said I should be playing a straight "R" flex in my irons instead of the uniflex which he said was a bit too stout for my swing speed since the uniflex is somewhere between and Reg and Stiff.

Does anybody know if the fat shats can be reshafted with normal sized shafts or will the head's hossel be too big?

Cant replace the fat shafts with regular shafts, totally different set up.

Cant replace the fat shafts with regular shafts, totally different set up.

Thanks....yeah I had done some research after my post and found the same answer....oh well. The fatties will work. Just keep improvin my swing for more speed.

Well, would you believe it!
I missed the Sunday competition, saw osteopath today, after manipulation he thinks ribs and shoulder blade are painful
because I have a hairline fatugue fracture of rib.
Need an X-ray to confirm.
All this because I hit hundreds of balls with my new Di11 irons, i just couldn't put them down, like a kid with a new toy.
So I still have not been able to take them out on the course.
Kind of funny really, I suppose.
Patienace my friends, I promise a writeup after my 1st round.

Thanks....yeah I had done some research after my post and found the same answer....oh well. The fatties will work. Just keep improvin my swing for more speed.

The good thing is that a stiffer golf shaft should increase your accuracy. That might be a good tradeoff.

Wilson makes great products that are often overlooked by most in today's marketing/glitzy environment. The Di11 irons are no exception. Forgiving, great feel for a cast iron, and can be had for a very fair price. The only think I don't like about the Di11 is its relatively short hosel, which makes it a little tricky to bend the iron during lie/loft angle adjustments.

Is anyone gaming the Di11 55* SW?

I've been looking for something in that loft range to add to my set with a lower than std bounce and Wilson said its only an 8 bounce which seems weird for a SW but good for my needs (not a big fan of anything over a 10 bounce). Wondering how easy it is to hit from the FW and how much less distance you see between it and the 46* GW.
I current hit the GW about 110 if I catch it flush.

Thanks

I've been looking for something in that loft range to add to my set with a lower than std bounce and Wilson said its only an 8 bounce which seems weird for a SW but good for my needs (not a big fan of anything over a 10 bounce). Wondering how easy it is to hit from the FW and how much less distance you see between it and the 46* GW.

Thanks
I bought the sand wedge this year. It was a great investment. It is a pin seeker! I hit my gap wedge about 110 give or take a few. I hit sand wedge around 80-85. But I use it for closer shots to, just take something off the swing. I highly recommend it.

What is your swing speed, if you don't mind me asking? I am about 70mph with a 6 iron/85-90mph with the driver per the local golf shops.

I just took delivery of the Di11's with uniflex half and half shaft this morning. They should be replacing my graphite shafted Tour Edge XCG-3's if they are more forgiving. Itching to get them to the range however I noticed they seem shorter than the specs. The Di11 6 iron is measuring 37.5" when it should be 38" anyone else notice this with these irons?

Also does anyone see strange gaps from the long to short irons due to them being even 3.5* gaps through the set. I thought the shorter irons were supposed to have larger gaps in lofts than the longer irons.

I have played the Di11's for about a year now.
Weird thing is the distance gap between gw and sw. I can work the gap comfortably between 125 and 135 yds, but cant get the sw past 90. Its a large gap to have nothing between 125 and 90.
And the guy at our local golfsmith said he cant adjust the loft with the short hosel.

They look real clean, I would like to get em a try as well.

So many of my friends grab one outta my bag, drop it down to address and groan. Say they hate the fat shaft. I love them. Give me a ton of confidence and I hit them straight and really long. Sunday, I hit my 7 iron from 196 past the flag. ( some down wind and a slight decline too).
I switched to playing pro v's and the combo for me is my best golf of my life. 72, 75, 77 last three rounds. I love chipping with the gap wedge.

Thanks

I've got the SW and have no problems with it off the fairway: only issues I have with shots using it are completely down to my swing. It seems to nip the ball nicely off the turf (I'm a sweeper rather than striking down on the ball), and gets it up in the air quickly. I get my GW about 100 yds and the SW about 75-80.

I am loving my Di11s. I did buy the SW and it came with a Half/half shaft. I hit it about 105. I love it. I wish my whole set was half/half. I really have no use for the GW. I can work the PW with a half swing within 80-100 and a 64 degree wedge within that if I need to get it in the air. If I am within 30 yards with a flat lie, I bump and run with the 6 or 7 iron. I am no longer using a wood from 200 yards, I hit my 6 iron. 8 iron 160. 7 iron 170-75.

played a very quick 9 holes yesterday after work. apart from my driving, i was very happy with a 48 for my score. i was playing with two players who playin off are 10 and under.

few poor shots due to me rushing. but i was very happy with most of my other iron shots.

i did get caught out with a 7 iron shot from around 175 yards. perfect swing, perfect line, just left it sailing over the green and being 15-20 yards further past the pin... 195!!!!! with a god dam 7iron.....

I’ve been reading this entire thread for a while, and decided to buy the Di11 irons with the half & half shafts, based a lot on Ron-in-Thornton’s reviews. I couldn’t find a place to test/hit the Di11’s with any shaft, but I figured I’m not getting any younger, and the half & half shaft is a regular size tip, so if I needed to reshaft later I could.

Simply put – Thank you THP testers! I love these clubs! My game so far has been playing 9 holes once a week (April – August), and struggling to break 50. Most nights I have 1 blow-up hole (3 to get out of a trap; 2 OB shots; etc), and scores varied from 49-58 on a garden variety course. Driver speed is around 95 or so.

Since I got the set (4 iron through gap wedge), I’ve shot 45, 45, 48, and my iron shots have never been longer, straighter, or more accurate. I am loving the 4-iron! I can hit it 180 with no effort, and I get a nice, high trajectory & the ball lands softly. I have always struggled with hybrids, so the 4-iron has been an awesome club for me. I don’t know why it’s easier to hit, but it definitely is compared to my hybrids (Nickent 3dx).

Now some of this improvement I think is due to a free lesson I received at the Cleveland Golf Show this Spring; a pro there showed me how to compress the ball & a good drill to practice, and this combined with the new clubs has really changed my game. Before this, I hit my 9-iron & all wedges the same distance (because I was scooping the ball). Now I’m just starting to learn how far I hit each club.

My old irons were Orlimar Trimetal with regular shafts. I typically hit the 6 iron around 150 yards, but not consistently. Now I’m hitting the Di11 7-iron 150, and the dispersion is a lot tighter. I just feel so much more confident with these clubs. I can’t wait until I’ve had some time to get a better idea how far each iron goes.

If anyone is wondering how the half & half shafts work, I think they’re great. I don’t have enough feel in my swing to describe it like Ron in Thornton, but they’re working great for me.

I’ve been reading this entire thread for a while, and decided to buy the Di11 irons with the half & half shafts, based a lot on Ron-in-Thornton’s reviews. I couldn’t find a place to test/hit the Di11’s with any shaft, but I figured I’m not getting any younger, and the half & half shaft is a regular size tip, so if I needed to reshaft later I could.

Simply put – Thank you THP testers! I love these clubs! My game so far has been playing 9 holes once a week (April – August), and struggling to break 50. Most nights I have 1 blow-up hole (3 to get out of a trap; 2 OB shots; etc), and scores varied from 49-58 on a garden variety course. Driver speed is around 95 or so.

Since I got the set (4 iron through gap wedge), I’ve shot 45, 45, 48, and my iron shots have never been longer, straighter, or more accurate. I am loving the 4-iron! I can hit it 180 with no effort, and I get a nice, high trajectory & the ball lands softly. I have always struggled with hybrids, so the 4-iron has been an awesome club for me. I don’t know why it’s easier to hit, but it definitely is compared to my hybrids (Nickent 3dx).

Now some of this improvement I think is due to a free lesson I received at the Cleveland Golf Show this Spring; a pro there showed me how to compress the ball & a good drill to practice, and this combined with the new clubs has really changed my game. Before this, I hit my 9-iron & all wedges the same distance (because I was scooping the ball). Now I’m just starting to learn how far I hit each club.

My old irons were Orlimar Trimetal with regular shafts. I typically hit the 6 iron around 150 yards, but not consistently. Now I’m hitting the Di11 7-iron 150, and the dispersion is a lot tighter. I just feel so much more confident with these clubs. I can’t wait until I’ve had some time to get a better idea how far each iron goes.

If anyone is wondering how the half & half shafts work, I think they’re great. I don’t have enough feel in my swing to describe it like Ron in Thornton, but they’re working great for me.

Thats great Grins, I hope you enjoy these clubs as much as I do.

I also bought the half and half set after reading this entire thread, after a couple range sessions and two rounds don't think it was the right move. Could be swing issues but I seem to dig a little more with these irons and I have lost about a club distance despite the stronger lofts (compared to the Tour Edge XCG-3 graphites I was using), may be a shaft issue they are uniflex and I usually need regular for my 65-70mph 6 iron swing speed.

I just did a side by side range session after work and I have to say I will be sticking with the TE's until I find the next best thing... Anyone willing to trade for regular flex, I prefer the half and half or graphite. If not I will probably just put them up for sale no point in letting a nice set of irons gather dust in the basement.

may be a shaft issue they are uniflex and I usually need regular for my 65-70mph 6 iron swing speed.

At that speed you might even consider a light or Senior flex.

I had my 7i speed tested at a local shop last month and it was in the mid to high 70's. I play the Uniflex steel version.
I then went to a see a clubfitter and he said my smash factor was way too low when I was hitting my 8i. He said something it was in the 120's and he preferred 140's minimum. I said so what does this mean? and he said that I wasn't properly loading the shaft. He said the fat shafts were designed to be stiffer in the tip section and the uniflex flex was designed to work for guys who play stiff shafts which puts it on the border of Reg and Stiff.

I asked him if he were to fit me what he would put me in and he said definitely a normal R flex and maybe even graphite to increase my swing speed.

Nonetheless I am looking to make a switch too. I found a nice used set of JPX800 HD's today that I may buy.
I like the Wilson's, but no sense having the thought in the back of my head that I might be fighting the shaft while playing them. Also I was not a big fan of how the chrome finish looks after just a few rds. I love my irons to look like the day I bought them, so I wipe them after each shot and clean them all after a round.
My 3 yr old Burner plus irons looked better than these did after just a few rounds. I found the chrome finish to mar pretty easily making them look older than what they are.

Last edited:
First time to Post. Found this thread very informative and and as a result I went out this evening and bought D11's. Was using Cobra but wanted a change. I'm playing in the morning so will post later with my findings. Hope all the positive reviews were true. Playing off 15 now, lowest was 12. For the price 315 euro in McGuirks Golf they are great value, 5 to SW inc Gap and PW. Fingers crossed.

First time to Post. Found this thread very informative and and as a result I went out this evening and bought D11's. Was using Cobra but wanted a change. I'm playing in the morning so will post later with my findings. Hope all the positive reviews were true. Playing off 15 now, lowest was 12. For the price 315 euro in McGuirks Golf they are great value, 5 to SW inc Gap and PW. Fingers crossed.

I have the same set. I would be interested in your feedback. I also had my 1st round today but it is too early to make a judgemend since I played badly.

Back