According to one of the best golf club makers in the world, the main reason is ego.

According to one of the best golf club makers in the world, the main reason is ego.

I wouldn't go as far as one of the best golf club makers in the world.

I have to agree with you on thatI'll take distance over feel any day, but I'm a hack haha (not to be confused with team hackers)

Probably, you work hard to get to a low single digit cap and ya wanna feel like a pro all the while knowing youcould get your cap lower with an irons change lol. It's insane.

Some people like the soft feel on thin blades and the workability and quality of blades. Also most blades have minimum offset and smaller head profile and they like them at address and they look beautiful and traditional. Personally I would never use them unless I was that good. I don't really like the lack of forgiveness and I would lose a lot of distance.

I have hit blades, GE, GI and SGI irons. When struck properly, they all feel the same. At least to my shovel welding hands.

personally i like them MUCH more than cavity backs. i don't like the ginormous head that most SGI and GI irons have today. since moving to blades i feel like my ball striking is significantly better and not only that, they're pretty sexy too. (last part was a joke but, the rest was serious)

I like your clubs. Im for anyone playing anything that helps them shoot better!

I'm just ribbing you mate from the littlepingman days.

Yep ping doesn't make a blade.

I guess I'd be more inclined to call the S59's muscle backs over cavity backs. They look an awful lot like MP58's and I wouldn't term them as CB's. However this is just splitting hairs really. A more important question for you: Did you also remove all the butter knives from your house now that you can make toast with your 5 iron?

I use blades, only because I don't have the money to upgrade YET to something different. Also, I have had blades in my bag since I was like 6 (I'm now 26). I am a million percent sure that my game would improve with some new, more forgiving, technology in my bag...

I have hit blades, GE, GI and SGI irons. When struck properly, they all feel the same. At least to my shovel welding hands.

The problem is, most amateurs don't hit the center of the face on every swing.

I would like to extensively test blades because I love the look of them at address. Smaller head, mmmm. Every time I've hit them, I hit them well.

I play blade irons for two reasons: 1. The way they look at address. 2. The feel of hitting a blade gives u instant feedback unlike more forgiving irons.

I used to have a set of gi irons but I recently switched to blades. I've found that I tend to hit them straighter and slice them a lot less. I also found that my mishits tend to be straighter but shorter which generally isn't a bad thing

Personal preference. Some people like the lower ballflight, looks and the feel when you hit a perfect shot.

I play blades because I love the way they look at address and I like the smaller head. I have thought about going to a cavity back for more forgiveness, but I like knowing exactly where I missed my shot on the club face. I can feel where the ball is hitting on the club face and I think it's helped me to be a better ball striker.

To each their own though. Some people will never want to hit blades and some people will never want to hit anything but blades. Does that mean that one person is right and the other is wrong? Absolutely not.

Lots of great post that I agree with. I've just bought Ping i20 irons coming from MP-52 forged irons. I loved the look and feel of blades. Turf interaction is so much better. I love the new irons but miss several benefits from blades. The i20s are much more forgiving but don't have the feel of forged. It has to be an individual preference. I recommend anyone under 12-15 handicap at least hit them at a demo day so you can at least feel the difference. You will know after 5 shots if you can play them or not

It's amazing. I play cavity back irons and I can always tell if, when, where I miss the center of the face. I have a ton of feedback. And my irons aren't even forged.

I love these threads.

Generally speaking it is easier to hit a lower shot from the woods after an errant drive with blades.This has always saved me strokes during my rounds.Also chipping around the greens with multiple irons feels easier to me.

Generally speaking it is easier to hit a lower shot from the woods after an errant drive with blades.This has always saved me strokes during my rounds.Also chipping around the greens with multiple irons feels easier to me.

Can I ask why you dont play blades anymore then?

It's amazing. I play cavity back irons and I can always tell if, when, where I miss the center of the face. I have a ton of feedback. And my irons aren't even forged.

Nobody said you can't get feedback on mis-hits with cavity back irons. From my experiences, it's a lot easier to do with blades, everybody experiences different things though. It's the great thing about golf.

My opinion is this, play whatever you like as long as what you play isn't making you hold up the pace of play on the course. If you shoot in the 80's with blades, but could shoot in the 70's with GE irons, but prefer to play blades, then play blades if you want to. What is better for your game and what you like to play are not always the same thing. If you enjoy hitting a certain club better than you like your score, that is all that matters. The point of the game is to enjoy it, so enjoy it however you can as long as it doesn't encroach upon someone else.

All the reasons given are legit, playability, ego, look and just cuz you want to. I fault no one that wants to play them, heck I used to play them. I'll be honest I don't cuz I don't log the time to hit them consistent enough.
I don't agree that you lose playability with cavity backs. I still have all my shots gaming the R11s. And to be honest I credit the R11s for my play starting when they were put in the bag late last year.
@troutbum hits his blades as well as anyone I have played with and I'm sure a lot of others do as well.

Distance: I don't care about distance in irons as long as the gaps are consistent. Having a 190 yard 7 iron that I'd probably have with the RBZ irons or RXF irons or the 150 I get now means nothing to me.

Accuracy: Number one thing with me for irons. Blades are going to be the most accurate if you hit it square, and there's really no "puring" one that goes 30 yards farther than expected that can happen with a GI iron.

Feel: Best. I don't know how else to explain it.

Forgiveness: This is the only reason I don't play blades. I'm a pretty good ball striker, but that 1-2 times out of 10 that I mishit it is going to cause problems.

I'll probably look at some player's cavity back irons for my next set. Initially, I liked the minimal offset which allowed me to work the ball. Nowadays, I find myself hitting/preferring straight balls as shaping shots can lead to errors in my case.

Forgot to add in - There's nothing like hitting a shot pure with blade irons. It's something about them that's addiciting and makes you strive to become better to consistently hit those shots time and time again.

Back