Do you guys take off the old paint or just go right over it?

It's kind of a hassle to take the paint of without damaging it so I just paint, dry paint dry and remove the top layer, the acrylic pain in the marker is thick enough that the difference it makes is subtle.

I take off the old paint 99% of the time. I also like using clear colors and you have to take it off when you do that.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I take off the old paint 99% of the time. I also like using clear colors and you have to take it off when you do that.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

That's really cool that you use clear colors, do you have any examples of your stuff?

That's really cool that you use clear colors, do you have any examples of your stuff?

I too am interested in seeing what a clear color looks like.

My ATV wedges were the first time I ever took the paint out. On my putter I couldn't because it's polymer and not paint. I might do it on my driver too. Black. Then my driver will be 100% blacked out except for the green eyes on the shaft. Swag.

I have examples buried in this thread. Let me see if I have any in my phone...

...cant find one. Ill dig it up.

I too am interested in seeing what a clear color looks like.

Typong frim TapaTalk so please excuse my horrid typing mistakles

New fill on the Scotty.

a6890e02-7a5b-97e0.jpg

I hate TapaTalk signatures...

That looks awesome! Great Job! What did you use? Testors?

Seth that looks really good. The translucent paint really sets it off

So this is my recent project. I decided to make all of my paint fills red and blue in honor of the US open and because I felt patriotic, I know have an American theme to my entire set up red,white and blue with some stars on my us open staff bag.

So first I bought two paint markers, red and navy blue
and I used some tape to ever areas where I didn't want paint to get into

7175612227_72106b0e19.jpg

For example, acetone will react chemically with the plastic ferrule-melting it so I use tape to cover it up.

This is my method of choice, I use a medium point marker and paint over it an let it dry and then with a little bit of acetone and a paper towel, I wipe off in one direction and the outcome is superb

7360846072_864ea6e8e5.jpg

I decided to paint the small numbers red, blue and leave the original white on the little line and where it says milled

7175612343_966c8492a2.jpg

The final result, all my even irons had a blue Taylormade logo and a red number and all my odd Irons had a red Taylormade logo and a blue number. I also split the numbers on my xFT wedges to red and blue. I had tons of fun doing this at 1 am and I love the way it complements my bag. In total I spent $4-1.97 for each pen and I already had some acetone from before.

7175611493_5df7179601.jpg

7175634723_225c6ff84d.jpg

7175638335_84c1f9e6cd.jpg

The advantage of using these paint markers was the fact that the end painted result was even and smooth and there were no brush marks. I also went from bright neon orange to red and blue and I didn't notice any orange being expressed so I liked doing this with these markers.

Nice job leiruagetro, I used to struggle with seeing the colour underneath, but I think that was just the depth of the groove I filled and the thin layer I applied, yours show no sign of that, good job.

Seth that looks really good. The translucent paint really sets it off

Thanks bro! I am actually going to redo my Bettinardi after the MC is over. I saw some awesome colors in the finger nail polish section the other day that I really want to put on my putter.

Nice job leiruagetro, I used to struggle with seeing the colour underneath, but I think that was just the depth of the groove I filled and the thin layer I applied, yours show no sign of that, good job.

I was afraid I would have to do do it a few times but I really didn't have to, these paint markers are awesome for that!

Paint job looks very nice. I like the alternating coloring of even/odd irons.

Thank you! It was really fun to do and hard not to get confused on what was supposed to be red or blue haha

What is the best source of neon color paint?

Elmers paint markers. I used them for all my neon orange and neon green

Elmers-Painters-Paint-Markers.jpg

So this is my recent project. I decided to make all of my paint fills red and blue in honor of the US open and because I felt patriotic, I know have an American theme to my entire set up red,white and blue with some stars on my us open staff bag..

VERY nice job!

VERY nice job!

Thanks man I really liked the way your red paint fill turned out so I had to try it.

so I went from this

7317814090_fb1d22f995.jpg

to this

7175638335_84c1f9e6cd.jpg

I've done few clubs using "Painters" markers, and here are my take:
Pro:
- Much simpler way to do it compare to paint
- No brush, no cleaner, no clean-up afterwards
- Cost effective
- Since it is non-toxic, don't have to worry about my 2 year old boy smelling the fume
- So simple, even kids can do it (the painting part) - and don't have to worry about spillage.
- Readily available at Wal-mart for $2 a pen. Cheap.

Cons:
- When you fill in the area with the marker, sometimes, it forms a bubble. If you don't pop the bubble, I noticed that when you are cleaning the area, you have to touch that area again, since bubble prevented the paint to be filled. Maybe use a toothpick to pop the bubble.
- If kids can play with the pen...keep it separate from other markers.

Unknowns:
- Don't know the durability - Would this more or less durable compared to acrylic paint?
- If don't use the markers for sometime, would it dry up, even if the cap is on?
- It is so easy to change the color this way, would I just go nuts and change colors each month?

Overall, I like it much better than paint...of course my wife was roller her eyes as I was doing this in the kitchen last night, however, with paint, there is no way I will be doing it inside the house.

If you are thinking about doing this, try to do it with the "Painters" marker, as you can buy an individual marker for a very reasonable price.

I didn't get to take the picture, however, I will try to do that when I get home this evening.

I've done few clubs using "Painters" markers, and here are my take:
Pro:
- Much simpler way to do it compare to paint
- No brush, no cleaner, no clean-up afterwards
- Cost effective
- Since it is non-toxic, don't have to worry about my 2 year old boy smelling the fume
- So simple, even kids can do it (the painting part) - and don't have to worry about spillage.
- Readily available at Wal-mart for $2 a pen. Cheap.

Cons:
- When you fill in the area with the marker, sometimes, it forms a bubble. If you don't pop the bubble, I noticed that when you are cleaning the area, you have to touch that area again, since bubble prevented the paint to be filled. Maybe use a toothpick to pop the bubble.
- If kids can play with the pen...keep it separate from other markers.

Unknowns:
- Don't know the durability - Would this more or less durable compared to acrylic paint?
- If don't use the markers for sometime, would it dry up, even if the cap is on?
- It is so easy to change the color this way, would I just go nuts and change colors each month?

Overall, I like it much better than paint...of course my wife was roller her eyes as I was doing this in the kitchen last night, however, with paint, there is no way I will be doing it inside the house.

If you are thinking about doing this, try to do it with the "Painters" marker, as you can buy an individual marker for a very reasonable price.

I didn't get to take the picture, however, I will try to do that when I get home this evening.

As far as durability, the only one that i have to touch up a little more is the sand wedge but besides that they last for a long time, I just like to change colors all the time haha. These paint markers keep me happy and the bubble is a quick fix. Also they are acrylic pain markers from what I understand and I constantly clean my clubs and it doesn't come off with the brush I use to clean.

I want to fill another Scotty with the circles in it. If you have one that you want filled, PM me and I will give you my address plus the shipping cost. I will do any fill that you want for only the cost of shipping.

Back