Relocating - Joys & Sorrows

You gonna change your name to Ole Monroe now?!

Good stuff OG, as long as you and KB are excited and there is more to offer, then its a good move.

hahaha

We moved homes in the last few years, but similar area of the same city. My sister moved a few years ago from Omaha, Nebraska to West Lafayette, Indiana. That was a trek, quite a few car loads and a rental moving van. I wouldn't want the hassle of a long distance move if I didn't absolutely have to. But in the end the place you end up is always nice and becomes your new home. The one thing I always remember, wherever my family is together is always home. Good luck with the move, the course looks very nice.

Good luck OG and that is exciting news about the new baby to be. It will be great for you guys!

KellyBo and I are prepping home for sale and once it's sold, heading a bit north closer to Athens, Ga. Our city of choice right now is Monroe, Ga. which has all the good stuff we are looking for and close enough to Athens. KellyBo's oldest son, is about to become a Daddy which will make KellyBo a Granny :D.

Monroe, Ga has several really nice golf course in the general area which makes it very interesting! This is the leading course as far as the golf goes:

http://www.theprovidenceclubgolf.com/course/course-layout.html

We have so many friends & family in central Georgia, that it will give us much sorrow to leave the area. On the other hand we are excited about down sizing our home, reducing costs, and adding to our friend base further up the road.

How many of you have relocated in the last few years and what were some of your issues with the change?

With each relo, I view it as an opportunity to expand my network of friends and golf gambling friends. The only disadvantage of moving is keeping up with those I've left behind. But as with many things in life, true friendships never fade away as a result of distance or infrequent contact.

Funny how Ole Gray always has to talk about everything that's happening in our life here on THP. I guess it's because you all are really like family and he wants to share our adventures. Funny that I'm not supposed to tell anyone that I'm going to be a grandmother yet and it's all over THP.

My son has been after us for a long time to move closer to Athens. I really didn't think OG would ever move. Once I found out I was going to be a grandmother, I wondered if he would ever consider. It didn't take me long to convince him after showing him some really nice courses that we could join for amazing prices. I'm talking $200-$250 month family membership including cart. You just can't beat that with the amount of golf we play. The housing market in the Monroe area is really upside down and there are foreclosures and short sales everywhere. We're really hoping we can sell our house and find a great deal there. However, I tell him it could take a year or more to sell. He thinks it's going to happen right away. I wish!

Seth - I checked memberships at the State Courses but they only have memberships that don't include cart fees. As much as we play, cart fees would cost us a fortune so we are looking for an all-inclusive membership. It really saves people like us a lot of money. Of course, we could learn to walk and play. You know, be more serious about golf. :)

Thanks to everyone for the congrats and well wishes. It's a fun time in our life. I hope it works out. If not, our house will look a lot better because OG has finally gotten off the course and started doing a little work on the place. Haha

Courses and their membership prices in contention when we relocate:

Providence Club, Monroe, GA
Full family membership which includes green fees, cart and range $220/month, no initiation fee
Standard rate: $39.95 Weekend rate: $49.95
Gary said he would comp us a round if we want to come check it out!

Lane Creek Golf Club, Bishop, GA
Full family membership which includes green fees, cart and range $2500/year, no initiation fee
Standard rate: $39.00 Weekend rate: $46.00

Bear Creek Golf Club, Monroe, GA
Full family membership which includes green fees and cart (I don't think they have a driving range) $250/month, no initiation fee
Standard rate: $36.00 Weekend rate: $45.00

Some decent prices there, Kelly!

Funny how Ole Gray always has to talk about everything that's happening in our life here on THP. I guess it's because you all are really like family and he wants to share our adventures. Funny that I'm not supposed to tell anyone that I'm going to be a grandmother yet and it's all over THP.

My son has been after us for a long time to move closer to Athens. I really didn't think OG would ever move. Once I found out I was going to be a grandmother, I wondered if he would ever consider. It didn't take me long to convince him after showing him some really nice courses that we could join for amazing prices. I'm talking $200-$250 month family membership including cart. You just can't beat that with the amount of golf we play. The housing market in the Monroe area is really upside down and there are foreclosures and short sales everywhere. We're really hoping we can sell our house and find a great deal there. However, I tell him it could take a year or more to sell. He thinks it's going to happen right away. I wish!

Seth - I checked memberships at the State Courses but they only have memberships that don't include cart fees. As much as we play, cart fees would cost us a fortune so we are looking for an all-inclusive membership. It really saves people like us a lot of money. Of course, we could learn to walk and play. You know, be more serious about golf. :)

Thanks to everyone for the congrats and well wishes. It's a fun time in our life. I hope it works out. If not, our house will look a lot better because OG has finally gotten off the course and started doing a little work on the place. Haha

lol, please don't share this with Lynne, she may try to get me started on the Honey-do's again under the pretense of moving. :D

KB, if you haven't played Providence yet, by all means do. It is a great track. Very nice homes in there also if you don't mind subdivision type living. After living in the mountains with some acreage, privacy, wildlife, etc., I don't think I could go back to neighbors that close.

Courses and their membership prices in contention when we relocate:

Providence Club, Monroe, GA
Full family membership which includes green fees, cart and range $220/month, no initiation fee
Standard rate: $39.95 Weekend rate: $49.95
Gary said he would comp us a round if we want to come check it out!

Lane Creek Golf Club, Bishop, GA
Full family membership which includes green fees, cart and range $2500/year, no initiation fee
Standard rate: $39.00 Weekend rate: $46.00

Bear Creek Golf Club, Monroe, GA
Full family membership which includes green fees and cart (I don't think they have a driving range) $250/month, no initiation fee
Standard rate: $36.00 Weekend rate: $45.00

They all look really nice KB, seems like you couldn't go wrong with any of them especially Lane Creek and Providence. Are they all about the same distance away from your new home?

They all look really nice KB, seems like you couldn't go wrong with any of them especially Lane Creek and Providence. Are they all about the same distance away from your new home?

We have to sell our home first and then we will move to an area close to the course we like best. We are going to try them all out before we make our decision. My son leans towards Lane Creek but he said he's played them all and we can't go wrong with any of them.

Good luck with the move guys. Let me know if you need anything. You guys will only be 1 hr 30 minutes from me now.:banana:

LMAO You are the second person who has mentioned that :laugh:

KB, if you haven't played Providence yet, by all means do. It is a great track. Very nice homes in there also if you don't mind subdivision type living. After living in the mountains with some acreage, privacy, wildlife, etc., I don't think I could go back to neighbors that close.

KellyBo called the course today and they are going to give us a tour and comp us a round! I think this will go a long ways toward our decision. It sounds like a fun type environment which fits us to a tee :D

good luck Ol gray and kelly, you'll have to change your name though haha I hope you find a nice woodshed
better than these. . .

images

FJ-woodshed.jpg

good luck Ol gray and kelly, you'll have to change your name though haha I hope you find a nice woodshed
better than these. . .

images

FJ-woodshed.jpg

haha you know you are a redneck when you haul your own woodshed to your new home :D

Congrat's on the move!!!

I just relocated half way arcross the country in January so know what your feeling. I'v become pretty accustomed to it moving frequently with the military but is always an adjustmenet. Only advise is a little planing ahead goes a long way, and give it time for it to start to feel like home. It's the little things you'll miss, but can be fun to learn and expore new area's.

KellyBo and I are prepping home for sale and once it's sold, heading a bit north closer to Athens, Ga. Our city of choice right now is Monroe, Ga. which has all the good stuff we are looking for and close enough to Athens. KellyBo's oldest son, is about to become a Daddy which will make KellyBo a Granny :D.

Monroe, Ga has several really nice golf course in the general area which makes it very interesting! This is the leading course as far as the golf goes:

http://www.theprovidenceclubgolf.com/course/course-layout.html

We have so many friends & family in central Georgia, that it will give us much sorrow to leave the area. On the other hand we are excited about down sizing our home, reducing costs, and adding to our friend base further up the road.

How many of you have relocated in the last few years and what were some of your issues with the change?

My parents are in Elberton GA. It's a beautiful area.

It seems like you eventually will lose contact with most of the friends you have in your old area
Not this guy!!!

I'm a bit saddened (you guys and Dawg were my first THP get together, sniffle) that you'll be even further than the 50 minutes I gladly drove to hang out with you guys, but thrilled that you'll be a granny hanging out with the whole family and just livin' it up.

By the way, I seriously vote for Lane Creek. I like the looks of it via the photo gallery.

Not this guy!!!

I'm a bit saddened (you guys and Dawg were my first THP get together, sniffle) that you'll be even further than the 50 minutes I gladly drove to hang out with you guys, but thrilled that you'll be a granny hanging out with the whole family and just livin' it up.

By the way, I seriously vote for Lane Creek. I like the looks of it via the photo gallery.

Awwwwww we will miss ya too T0AD however we will stay in touch via the forum, local Georgia get togethers, and the annual THP Outing.

I have thought of just a few things that come to mind when you move and you have to change. They are:

New Physicians
Auto Mechanics
Have new utilities turned on
Mail rerouted to new address :banghead:

If anyone can add to this misery please do. LOL

Awwwwww we will miss ya too T0AD however we will stay in touch via the forum, local Georgia get togethers, and the annual THP Outing.

I have thought of just a few things that come to mind when you move and you have to change. They are:

New Physicians
Auto Mechanics
Have new utilities turned on
Mail rerouted to new address :banghead:

If anyone can add to this misery please do. LOL

New golf coach, new inside jokes. . .

OG, over the last 5 years my wife and I moved from: Milwaukee, WI to Chicago, IL to Savannah, GA to McKinney, TX. What I can recommend is: 1) If you are using a moving company, get references and check them out thoroughly. A good mover makes the process easier, a bad mover makes the process painful! 2) Go through all your stuff, EVERYTHING. Don't just tape up a box and slap a label on it. Spend the time and go through the contents and toss anything you don't need or want, even some things you think you might want or need, toss 'em. 3) Detail label the contents of all the boxes, not just the labels the movers provide, but a detailed 4"x4" label detailing what is in the box.

Other than that, the biggest issue my wife and I had were moving away from friends and family. There's not much you can do about that and fortunetly we make friends pretty easily. Good luck with the move, the golf course looks pretty awesome.

OG, over the last 5 years my wife and I moved from: Milwaukee, WI to Chicago, IL to Savannah, GA to McKinney, TX. What I can recommend is: 1) If you are using a moving company, get references and check them out thoroughly. A good mover makes the process easier, a bad mover makes the process painful! 2) Go through all your stuff, EVERYTHING. Don't just tape up a box and slap a label on it. Spend the time and go through the contents and toss anything you don't need or want, even some things you think you might want or need, toss 'em. 3) Detail label the contents of all the boxes, not just the labels the movers provide, but a detailed 4"x4" label detailing what is in the box.

Other than that, the biggest issue my wife and I had were moving away from friends and family. There's not much you can do about that and fortunetly we make friends pretty easily. Good luck with the move, the golf course looks pretty awesome.

Great stuff Zeff! I like the part about getting rid of stuff you don't really need. It's amazing how much junk you accumulate over a few years and it comes out of the walls. I'm hoping we can have a huge yard sell or something. KellyBo is pretty creative so I bet she will come up with something cool.

Looking forward to you and KB being a bit closer so we can tee it up some. I always look at a move as a new beginning in all respects from the new home to new friends, stores, golf courses...ect. Of course you are still close enough to tee it up with TOAD and DD from time to time so that part is still a plus. I wish you all the best with the move and getting settled in.

KellyBo is grinning like a opossum in a persimmon tree, over the new grand kid thing :D. She is out this morning playing in a golf outing for the central Georgia Senior women, at Idle Hour CC. I'm sure she will have plenty to add to this thread, when she comes home.

Just read this. Congrats! I wish you were moving to Raleigh though

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Back