More Loft? Yes Please.

Interested stuff there JB. I remember you talking about the 12 degree back in the Classic thread. My only question is can you get the ball flight down with that driver when hitting into the wind, or when you need to keep the ball down? What adjustments do you make to lower the loft (ball back, tee lower, etc)? I know Florida has some windy conditions so hitting into the wind with a driver is a must.

Interested stuff there JB. I remember you talking about the 12 degree back in the Classic thread. My only question is can you get the ball flight down with that driver when hitting into the wind, or when you need to keep the ball down? What adjustments do you make to lower the loft (ball back, tee lower, etc)? I know Florida has some windy conditions so hitting into the wind with a driver is a must.

This was a major concern for me, but since having it, there are just no issues. I move the ball about 2 ball lengths back and flight it lower.

This was a major concern for me, but since having it, there are just no issues. I move the ball about 2 ball lengths back and flight it lower.

That has worked as well for me - I was initially afraid of that as well. Another thing that I truly believe as helped, is that in addition to teeing it a bit lower & further back, I started gaming the Callaway Black ball. Just a great ball in the wind - at least for me.

I'm ready to make a driver change, so I'm glad you made this thread now...I'll certainly rethink things.

As for a guy who got the opportunity to play a round with JB at the Texas Outing....he'll NEVER get to say (to me at least) that he's not long off the tee. I'm gaming a Nike VR Pro Tour 9.5* driver and hit some pretty solid drives during our round. I felt really good about them, but JB was never really far behind (if any). He must have made mention about the 12* Classic on 3 or 4 different holes and told us how excited he was with the results he'd found...and we could see it first hand.

Good for you JB!! :D

Nice, man! Glad you found what works best for you.

It is really hard to put your ego to the side sometimes, but often it is necessary in order to get the clubs that are best for you (i.e. the ones that fit you best). I went through the same thing moving from blades to i20's, but I finally did it, and I haven't looked back since. I love these things...wish I had been playing something similar for the past 7 years.

Results > Ego. Besides, what is better for the ego that scoring better? :)

I like my 10.5* but also have the weights setup to increase launch angle and control and certainly hit more fairways and get more distance because of it.

While at the THP demo day I got a chance to hit JB's Classic. Wow is all I can say, now I told myself to not buy the Classic until I went to the outing. I bought a 10.5* 2 weeks before and now regret that purchase. I did not hit the 12* on the monitor but from hitting the 10.5 on the monitor I guarantee the 12 will be just the perfect numbers I need. I just might trade in my 10.5 for a 12.

hmm might need to bump the loft in my D2, I'll take added forgiveness anyday

Great wrietup JB and I agree about amateurs using to little loft and I was one of them until I joined THP. I use to use a 9* and now use a 10.5* and have found a little more distance and its much more forgiving. I really wonder what a 12* head with the right shaft could do for me though. I might have to play around with my R11s and bump the loft up to 11.0* or 11.5* and see what that does, my only fear is making my hook even worse with that setup since that will close the face and I dont think the ASP will open it back up to where I like it which is around 3* open. Its worth a shot though thats for sure lol.

Thanks for your feedback about this JB. I just played a round where I used my driver twice, fading it both times... and my 3-wood the rest of the round, because I can absolutely crush that thing down the center. I'm starting to wonder what my drives would be like with a higher loft...

So stupid question. I went looking at the Black and the Classic drivers today locally. Of course, not a ton of selection.

Has anyone actually come across a 12 degree driver with a stiff shaft in their shopping? I don't mean being able to order it. Have you actually found one that you could demo ?

Really intrigued with the idea if going higher loft. In my last fitting, I was told that increasing my launch angle would be the easiest way to squeeze out some extra yardage. I would really like to look into a 12 degree, but finding it with the proper shaft to try before I buy so far has been impossible to find.

So stupid question. I went looking at the Black and the Classic drivers today locally. Of course, not a ton of selection.

Has anyone actually come across a 12 degree driver with a stiff shaft in their shopping? I don't mean being able to order it. Have you actually found one that you could demo ?

Really intrigued with the idea if going higher loft. In my last fitting, I was told that increasing my launch angle would be the easiest way to squeeze out some extra yardage. I would really like to look into a 12 degree, but finding it with the proper shaft to try before I buy so far has been impossible to find.
I have only seen them in Senior flex and a couple in Reg flex but none in Stiff. Might be something that has to be ordered.

I got fit for a G20 in 12* a few months ago and am having the same success that you're seeing. My driver is the most consistent club in my bag and the most fun to hit now.

I can't agree more. I have three drivers: K15 @ 9*, S3 @ 10.5* and F11 @ 12.5*. The F11 is by far the best for accuracy and I am the most confident with it, I get a bit more distance with the S3, plus its a little adjustable (open, closed, neutral face). But combining the F11 driver with my trusty F10 3 wood and that part of my game is pretty solid. Now if I could just hit a darn wedge accurately!

Very interesting read. I actually considered upping the loft on my 910D2 (even before I read this), just to see what my results would be. I am currently hitting a 8.5* on the A1 setting and I love my trajectory (when I nut it), but I never really considered how it may be punishing me by making by misses more dramatic than they could be if my loft was a little higher. A new driver is not in the plans, or more importantly, the budget, but I will for sure change from my A1 setting for more loft and see what my results are. I hit a Cleveland HiBore 9.5 before this and had good results with it, so we shall see.

I remember you talking about this subject in another thread, how a lot of amateurs could benefit from using a higher lofted driver. Up til then I thought that all drivers had a loft between 9 and 10.5 degrees since that's all I had ever seen in the stores, and that lower lofts were for better golfers and higher ones for beginners. The information in your posts was one of the main reasons I went with an adjustable driver the other day when I bought my new R11S. I went with the 10.5 so now I can play around with it and take it up to 12 if I need to. Now I can't wait to get it on the course and start tuning it. (No driving ranges around here to do it on)

I've suggested to my Dad for years that he should try a higher lofted driver. I know the forgiveness and extra carry distance would make a big difference in his game.

I'd been working my way down the lofts slowly. Go away from the 11.25* i had on my t***y D2 and had even made it as low as 8.75* in an R11S.

Back to 10.5 now in my Cleveland Classics driver and have never been happier.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I just switched the 910D2 from the A1 setting (8.5* Loft) to B3 (10.0* loft, slight draw). If I can get to the range tomorrow, I am going to play around with the 10.0 lofts and see what I see. Little worried about my now infamous pulls and snap hooks becoming more dramatic now. We shall see.

I just switched the 910D2 from the A1 setting (8.5* Loft) to B3 (10.0* loft, slight draw). If I can get to the range tomorrow, I am going to play around with the 10.0 lofts and see what I see. Little worried about my now infamous pulls and snap hooks becoming more dramatic now. We shall see.

I wouldn't expect loft to change push/pulls much- as I tend to think of that as a length and open/closed issue.
More loft = more backspin
More backspin = less side spin
less side spin = less slice/hook

I would expect your snap hooks might actually decrease based on decreasing side spin...

I wouldn't expect loft to change push/pulls much- as I tend to think of that as a length and open/closed issue.

I would expect your snap hooks might actually decrease based on decreasing side spin...

That would certainly please me. We shall see. Will be a fun little experiment to toy around with.

Wandering the earth like Kane from Kung Fu, Tapatalking on an iPhone.

My question to you JB is do you see a huge loss of distance on windy days? I am a high ball hitter and everytime I have tried a higher degree driver I get crazy amounts if backspin and the ball just drops out of the sky. I would like a little more forgiveness but think I will lose significant distance.

Seriously. Tappin'.

For the first time since I started playing, I have been struggling getting the ball in the air with my woods the last 3 rounds. I have no clue where this issue is coming from, but it has absolutely killed my distance off the tee. I'm going to crank the loft up in my R11S and see what my results are.

Having .5* more of loft really helped me with my fade, I no longer get it as bad as I used to and that plus a new swing has made my driving game intense. I have 11* total on my R11 right now and I love it!

Less sidespin is always better for me but 12* is way too much at least for my game

My question to you JB is do you see a huge loss of distance on windy days? I am a high ball hitter and everytime I have tried a higher degree driver I get crazy amounts if backspin and the ball just drops out of the sky. I would like a little more forgiveness but think I will lose significant distance.

Seriously. Tappin'.

Nope, not at all.

Back