Thx. 'nola Me too as far as the warranties go. Also Kia has a similar one as well

The Soul is a pretty cool little vehicle.

I'll echo the sentiments on newer cars being a pain. I like working on my own car, but it's too difficult to figure out a problem on the new stuff. It's always a sensor or a computer and the only way to fix it is to have a $10k diagnostic tool that only OEM dealers can get.

Car manufacturers insist on trying to cure stupid and in the process are making cars expensive to maintain. If you have a car that is a MY2008 it is required by federal law to have TPMS, once again do you have a scan tool to re-initialize the system after rotating and or changing tires?

I've had TPMS on 3 different cars, and all were able to be set by using the controls on the turn signal stalks

you can re-initialize at any time, after changing tire pressures, changing wheels...whatever... without any special tools

on a BMW or Mini at least

what cars have you seen where you need a scan tool to reinitialize the tpms?

I've had TPMS on 3 different cars, and all were able to be set by using the controls on the turn signal stalks

you can re-initialize at any time, after changing tire pressures, changing wheels...whatever... without any special tools

I haven't seen an auto brand that needs a TPMS reset by a computer of sort.

Thxguys and especially JRod. I,m off the Mini track now, didn,t realize the upkeep costs were ridiculous. Looking at a Scion or maybe Kia Soul. Also, may try some Hyundai models. Thank you for an education.

the upkeep costs on a mini are far from ridiculous

a brake job at the dealer for both axles may run you a grand, to slightly over (unless you wear the brakes out under the free maintenance period, then they'd be free), but how often do you need new brakes? brakes last a damn long time if you don't abuse them.

I used to track a BMW quite a bit, and I got FREE new brakes at the dealer at 17k miles

Much later, I had to put a set of rear brakes on that same car, and the parts cost me about $300 IIRC... the job took about 1.5 hours because it had been a while since I'd done it

the brake job requires no special tools (compared to any other brake job), and no computer tools or systems resetting are needed

don't let people scare you with tall tales about expensive repairs...... most of the time it's BS

I haven't seen an auto brand that needs a TPMS reset by a computer of sort.

I just wrote a 500 word article but it was long winded and pointless.

You can't reset Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, or Kia/Hyundai without a scan tool. You can manually do GM but it's about a 45 minute long pain in the ass without a scan tool. Ford's need a tool. Volkswagen/Audi also needs a special TPMS tool. I don't know about BMW for sure as I avoid them at all cost ever since working for them.

As far as I know the only current manufacturer that relearns tire positions automatically is Chrysler.

Edit: I'm talking about relearning sensor positions here not resetting the light after filling a low tire.

You can't reset Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, or Kia/Hyundai without a scan tool. You can manually do GM but it's about a 45 minute long pain in the ass without a scan tool. Ford's need a tool. Volkswagen/Audi also needs a special TPMS tool. I don't know about BMW for sure as I avoid them at all cost ever since working for them.

As far as I know the only current manufacturer that relearns tire positions automatically is Chrysler.

Edit: I'm talking about relearning sensor positions here not resetting the light after filling a low tire.

then maybe BMW and Mini aren't nearly as much of a pain as you claim they are..........

you might be a great technician and car guy, but in this thread you've got a clear bone to pick with Mini/BMW and you're spreading false info to scare people away from them.

are BMW/Mini cheap? of course not, and servicing them can be more expensive than a standard car... BUT... it's not a large amount more expensive AND you have to take the car in for service less often compared to most other vehicles.

If you have a GM or Honda that needs to go in for service 3 times a year, you'll still come out behind a BMW that needs to go in once per year (even if the BMW visit was 3x more expensive) because you don't have to miss work or coordinate alternate transportation and whatnot....

I would usually just drop it, but it pains me to see someone who appears to be respected for their automotive knowledge giving people false info

to be fair, I've worked at a BMW independent repair shop for about 1.5 years (I'm far from a master mechanic, but can handle the simple stuff), and I've put about 325,000 miles on multiple BMW's from the 80's, 90's and current models. I've paid for repairs, and I've done work myself

I actually had a fuel pump die on my 1995 M3 once, and a co-worker's Chevy Tahoe had it's fuel pump go out at the same time and the BMW M3 was cheaper to repair AND it was done at the dealer!

a brake job at the dealer for both axles may run you a grand, to slightly over (unless you wear the brakes out under the free maintenance period, then they'd be free), but how often do you need new brakes? brakes last a damn long time if you don't abuse them.

I used to track a BMW quite a bit, and I got FREE new brakes at the dealer at 17k miles

Much later, I had to put a set of rear brakes on that same car, and the parts cost me about $300 IIRC... the job took about 1.5 hours because it had been a while since I'd done it

the brake job requires no special tools (compared to any other brake job), and no computer tools or systems resetting are needed

don't let people scare you with tall tales about expensive repairs...... most of the time it's BS

As for how often do you need new brakes, both of the people I know that owned Mini's, had to replace the brakes at less than 25k miles. Neither of these friend's are very aggressive drivers. I'm not saying this is exclusive to Mini's, because my coworker is already needing to replace her brakes/rotors for a 2nd time on her F150. I'm starting to become of the opinion that brakes/rotors aren't what they used to be 10 years or so ago.

In regards to your edit, there really isnt a need to relearn the TPMS unless its dead and a new one is needed. Or you get new rims OEM/Aftermarket. This means you will need to have access to a tire mount and tire balance machine. I dont think anyone will have access to this or will buy one for personal use. Therefore, a dealer or tire shop is recommended.

Keep in mind, this whole debate started about the average DYI owner in a home garage. There is only so much someone can do at home. Oil change, brakes, filters, etc. Unfortunately, all cars now and will have more systems and modules than ever before. Being in the auto business for 10 yrs, ALOT of brands are becoming more reliable and well made compared to those of the past.

At the end of the day, do your research online and talk to actual owners about their feedback. They will be your best advocate or critic. Its your money and buy what makes you happy.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

As for how often do you need new brakes, both of the people I know that owned Mini's, had to replace the brakes at less than 25k miles. Neither of these friend's are very aggressive drivers. I'm not saying this is exclusive to Mini's, because my coworker is already needing to replace her brakes/rotors for a 2nd time on her F150. I'm starting to become of the opinion that brakes/rotors aren't what they used to be 10 years or so ago.

one of the main culprits for brake wear is the automatic transmission with people riding the brakes all the time, and the ever increasing mass of cars (more weight=more wear and tear on brakes)

also, some of the new stability control/traction control systems function through the cars brakes, which also speeds wear

replacing brakes should be a rare repair... I drive stick and I've generally been able to get at least 75k on a set (if I'm not abusing the car on a racetrack)

as for your two friends with Mini's replacing their brakes under 25k.... ask them how much that repair cost... it should have been free. (although replacing brakes that often even if free the first time, the second time won't be free)

So ur saying the TPMS does not need resetting by computer when brakes are changed or tires are rotated. To me the tire rotated thing sounds a lil far fetched but I will go with JRod unless I here from someone myself. I know no one who owns a mini so thats why I came in here for a education

So ur saying the TPMS does not need resetting by computer when brakes are changed or tires are rotated. To me the tire rotated thing sounds a lil far fetched but I will go with JRod unless I here from someone myself. I know no one who owns a mini so thats why I came in here for a education

You dont need to reset the TPMS sensors when you rotate tires. Only when the sensor is bad and a new one is needed, you will need to relearn it to the car.

BMW, Mini, M Benz dont recommend rotating the tires.

Asian brands and domestics recommend tire rotations

you can rotate tires and change brakes all day without a computer touching your car and you'll have no problems at all

the only thing I've seen that most would consider weird in the BMW (and probably Mini since they're the same), is battery replacement
I had to buy a new battery on my 2004 BMW, and it was no problem.. standard procedures... but when I needed a battery on my 2006 the car needed a computer software update in order to operate correctly, it was a repair that you couldn't do at home and it was just a shade over $300 for the battery replacement and computer reprogramming.

the upside of that expensive battery and the computer though.. is that the car monitors the state of the battery, and lets you know when it's getting weak and gives you warning so you can replace it BEFORE the battery strands you and you have to hunt around for a jumpstart or wait for AAA

a battery lasts 4 years or so, so it's a small price to pay in order to avoid a call to AAA when you spread the added cost of the battery replacement over it's 4 year lifespan.

I'll be happy to address your comments tonight when I'm on a real computer.

I haven't checked Fiat dealer rates. But I really doubt it's less than BMW. And dealerships are few and far between.

I checked out the Fiats late last year...wasn't impressed.
Slightly cheaper than the Minis and the same "cramped" feel sitting inside one.

Thxguys and especially JRod. I,m off the Mini track now, didn,t realize the upkeep costs were ridiculous. Looking at a Scion or maybe Kia Soul. Also, may try some Hyundai models. Thank you for an education.

I'd definitely recommend a Soul.
Tons of room and great on gas: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ken88/soul
Also a lot of bang for the buck...I got the mid-level "Plus" trim...plenty of standard features for $17,545.

don't get me wrong, Mini is certainly not the best choice for all cases

they're small, have weird interiors, and are expensive to buy compared to similar cars from other makers

if the only mini dealer is 2 hours away, then it's probably not a good choice.. if you're looking for the most cost effective transportation possible, it's probably not a good choice either... but a Mini is not night and day more expensive to maintain than other cars.

there's plenty of legit reasons to avoid buying a Mini, but maintenance costs are not one of them

Mini's are fun to drive and you will pay a premium for them, but that cost premium is mainly wrapped into a higher initial purchase price.

Yeah,Ken looks like the Soul does have adequate room, and not just for my stix,LOL. Seems reasonable in price point as well and I have a Kia dealer 10 mins. from me. To that point I also have a Hyundai dealer right down the street

Yeah,Ken looks like the Soul does have adequate room, and not just for my stix,LOL. Seems reasonable in price point as well and I have a Kia dealer 10 mins. from me. To that point I also have a Hyundai dealer right down the street

And Michelle Wie drives one too... Lol

Lol 'nola Wish i could play like her, but without the parents!

Marc I woykd like to apologize for detracting from your thread and original question. Somewhere in this thread, by my fault as well, this turned from a thread about a specific vehicle into a thread about cars in general. For that I apologize. Good luck in your search for a new vehicle.

Lefty and BMW I will be happy to address your comments in a different thread tonight.

Lol 'nola Wish i could play like her, but without the parents!

I just need 2/3 of her distance!

Mini = BMW = big bucks for service

If you are looking for a pocket rocket with no boot space, check if the Abarth 500 is available in the US. It's 1.4 turbo version of the Fiat 500. You can even order the 'esse esse' kit, this will give you more power and modified brakes.

As far as a fast hot hatch, the 500 Abarth is a blast to drive. The girlfriend is looking for a car (so basically I'm looking for a car for her, looks like the Elentra will be purchased within the next 14 months), anyways drove the Abarth because I love it personally, though doesn't fit what she is looking for in a car. The thing is just so fun to drive. Keep the revs high and it just goes.

Though it is Fiat, the dealer told me that minor work is covered at any Dodge dealership. My guess is the US would be the same.

I know I will get bashed to crap for this, but for the price, GTI I think is the answer. May be a bit higher in starting price, but offers more at standard equipment.

GTI's are nice IMO

the thing to watch out for with them is a new model's supposed to arrive for 2013 (should break cover at the end of this year)
rumored to have a power upgrade to 260 hp

GTI's are nice IMO

the thing to watch out for with them is a new model's supposed to arrive for 2013 (should break cover at the end of this year)
rumored to have a power upgrade to 260 hp

The older models have a bad rep, but like VW in general, reliability has gotten better. I've heard the same rumours. Still wouldn't mind the Golf R myself, though reaching the $40,000 mark here in Canada is a lot for a fast hatch IMO. To be in the Mini range though, I would go GTI. The Abarth is good, but there is the practicality laking in comparison to the GTI which comes in 5 door. Not to mention though Recaro seats are just amazing.

Marc I woykd like to apologize for detracting from your thread and original question. Somewhere in this thread, by my fault as well, this turned from a thread about a specific vehicle into a thread about cars in general. For that I apologize. Good luck in your search for a new vehicle.

Lefty and BMW I will be happy to address your comments in a different thread tonight.

Listen JRod, no issues my man! Good banter back and forth and to be honest I learned a lot. Not sure if all is 100 percent correct but thats cool too. I will take bits and pieces of everyone,s advice including yourself, and run with it. Listen I,m not a car guy by any means, oil, brakes and tuneups are as far as I go. Your imput was greatly appreciated as was all the others'. Thanks very much man, hope to maybe see u down the road at a THP event or something. When I get my new whip I will be sure to post a pic!

Back