Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hawkponder a mallet putter. Probably with an insert. Since going back to my Si3 lately, I realize how much I miss an insert. I loved all the mallets I rolled at Golfsmith. My favorite was the Nome but that's too expensive. My favorite insert by far was Taylormade's Pure Roll. I loved the Manta. Maybe I'll look for a cheap used Spider or something.

Interesting that your fave was a Nome, which has no insert. Have you rolled the MX 7 yet? If I were to get an insert putter again, I'd probably lean towards the MX. The Pure Roll insert is too soft for me, IMO, and I was leaving far too many putts short with it. But that's just me.

That's pretty awesome of you bro and I really appreciate the offer but knowing my luck I would end up dinging it, scratching it, etc. and that would make me feel terrible. I REALLY appreciate the offer though, it means a lot to me.

No prob dude. Long as it doesn't get run through a combine I don't care.

--
Tapatalk2

I might have just picked up a BStone Staff bag for the garage on the cheap.

Interesting that your fave was a Nome, which has no insert. Have you rolled the MX 7 yet? If I were to get an insert putter again, I'd probably lean towards the MX. The Pure Roll insert is too soft for me, IMO, and I was leaving far too many putts short with it. But that's just me.

I didn't roll the #7, but I did roll MX putters. And I hated that insert. It felt and sounded horrible to me. Plus I think the #7 looks gross.

The Nome was the softest milled putter I rolled that wasn't a Scotty. The alignment was awesome, it felt balanced, everything about it was right for me. The Pure Roll felt awesome to me in all their putters, but especially the Manta. It put such a good roll on the ball. I figure the Spider is a good, cheaper alternative to the Manta.

I am pondering running back to Walmart and buying them out of the TaylorMade Penta TP5's they have. They have them $10 cheaper than anywhere else. $33.95 a dozen.

Ive never seen the TP5s at Walmart. Only TM balls they sell are the older Burner ones.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

Care to take a pic of them?

Sure. You probably won't get to see it until tomorrow though. I'm still at work right now and I'm 6 hours behind eastern time.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Ive never seen the TP5s at Walmart. Only TM balls they sell are the older Burner ones.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

Well, you need to shop in Moberly, MO than. Because I just bought a dozen of them for $33.95. They don't have the Penta TP3's, but they had the TP5's, in addition to the RBZ and the Burners.

I didn't roll the #7, but I did roll MX putters. And I hated that insert. It felt and sounded horrible to me. Plus I think the #7 looks gross.

The Nome was the softest milled putter I rolled that wasn't a Scotty. The alignment was awesome, it felt balanced, everything about it was right for me. The Pure Roll felt awesome to me in all their putters, but especially the Manta. It put such a good roll on the ball. I figure the Spider is a good, cheaper alternative to the Manta.

I too am not a fan of the MX stuff. It is hard IMO. I love the protype though

You have an affiliation with Nike? :bashful: i kid, i kid. I've never tried Wishon wedges, and they would be much cheaper than SCOR's and ATV's. I have the cash now, but it's hard for me to justify spending more on 3 wedges than all my irons, perhaps I'm being crazy though.

That is a valid point!!! I have an uncle that works for them, is that good enough affiliation? And no, i do not get amazing deals (most likely related to distance from him( but yea, I like to support them for that. Wedges are crazy price, I was lucky to get a great deal on mine, but have to get used to them yet. Hope I can try out Wishon's in the future.

I'd say if you like the Manta's insert, the Spider will treat you well...but at the same time, if you think that the #7 looks gross...

I'd say if you like the Manta's insert, the Spider will treat you well...but at the same time, if you think that the #7 looks gross...

IMO, in looks, Spider >>>>> #7. Though Manta >>> Spider. If I could find a cheap Manta I'd go for that. But I think I'm more likely to find a Spider.

IMO, in looks, Spider >>>>> #7. Though Manta >>> Spider. If I could find a cheap Manta I'd go for that. But I think I'm more likely to find a Spider.

My spider put a nice roll on the ball, but I would rather look down on a #7, but different strokes for different folks. If I still had my spider I'd send it up your way.

I revise my opinion. Wake is not the Na of wedge ordering, you are. :alien:
No more backing off the Hawkponder : p

Easier to PM me for these mate. I miss this posts sometimes. Also don't forget the man, myth and legend that is TC guys. There's a reason he's the shaft tester, MC Captain etc. The Mountain Man knows his stuff.

Dude, I bought the J40's right after the outing, and haven't looked back. My short game has been revolutionized in the past month.

The spider is no alternative to the Manta. If any putter is gross its the spider. The great thing about the Manta is the alignment, that is the biggest disadvantage to the Spider to me. Why not another Seemore?

I want a Sun Mountain Sync. I'm now 90% positive I do.

I want a Sun Mountain Sync. I'm now 90% positive I do.
Go ahead and do it. Quit pondering and start purchasing.

Funny, b/c I think the MX insert plays and feels similar to the Pure Roll.

The spider is no alternative to the Manta. If any putter is gross its the spider. The great thing about the Manta is the alignment, that is the biggest disadvantage to the Spider to me. Why not another Seemore?

I haven't looked much, but is there a good SeeMore mallet with an insert that's not expensive? I'm looking for cheap, probably used. And I wasn't a huge fan of the alignment on the Manta, but alignment aids on putters don't matter much to me (I like to game a Black Series #8).

Go ahead and do it. Quit pondering and start purchasing.

Yeah, thing is I can get the Gunmetal/Black for 20.00 less....but I really like the Black/Silver/Red.

Argh.

I need to call Blind9 tomorrow I think.

I haven't looked much, but is there a good SeeMore mallet with an insert that's not expensive? I'm looking for cheap, probably used. And I wasn't a huge fan of the alignment on the Manta, but alignment aids on putters don't matter much to me (I like to game a Black Series #8).

http://www.seemore.com/products/product/si5-mallet-nickel-finish/

May be a bit more than you were looking at paying, but SeeMore does take care of their customers and make it worth it. Maybe keep an eye on the Bay?

Funny, b/c I think the MX insert plays and feels similar to the Pure Roll.

Now that is interesting, because I really think that the MX is the most "milled-like" insert I've rolled, with the Pure Roll being a bit softer for me. But perception is always different for different golfers.

Yeah, thing is I can get the Gunmetal/Black for 20.00 less....but I really like the Black/Silver/Red.

Argh.

I need to call Blind9 tomorrow I think.
I was looking at the C130s last weekend at Edwin Watts and took a gander at the syncs, the gunmetal/black was pretty damn sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back