Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Result of my first on course shot with the PW: conceded birdie!

aefc2ca9-0641-d4f0.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

I like pictures that look like this. Nice shot Ary.

Just hit a 9 iron from a divot in the fairway, 130 yard slightly uphill, to 5 feet. Missed the birdie putt, but these irons are impressing me.

Sent from Tapatalk

aefc2ca9-0641-d4f0.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

I think I will get a chance to see a bunch of these in person on Sat. afternoon.

Very nice feedback Hawk & TC.

Hawk: it is good to hear about your ability to flight these already with all the wind you are dealing with. That shot on 9 yesterday was money, you are making a quick transition from the V2's.
TC: what can I say man, you made the transition without missing a beat and are hitting some really good shots these days. You talked about confidence with that 5 iron from 190, impressive stuff man. Look forward to seeing you hit these next month.

Nice PW Amol, hoping that's not too much of a sign of things to come. :D

Thanks, Cookie!

Yes, it's been a very easy transition from the V2's. In reality, I think these are just a little easier to use. The only real concern I had was that the sole is just a little thinner, but I didn't really have a good reason for being concerned. I'm really curious what sort of turf interaction I'll see when I get them flattened out. Right now, my divot is pretty shallow and on the thin side.

aefc2ca9-0641-d4f0.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

nice shot Ary. I'd make u putt it.
Not really. But seriously. I would.

BlackBerry Tapatalk...laugh it up.

The way I've been putting today, I wouldn't blame you.

These irons are the bright spot in a pretty poor round for me this morning.

Sent from Tapatalk

Just had another range session with the 588 CBs and even snuck out for 9 holes. First time I've had a chance to put them in play.

I didn't miss a shot all day with them. One nice thing I noticed is I can easily draw the ball with them. Just a nice little added touch.

Grooves right out of the plastic are aggressive. I got a good amount of spin coming into the green.

My course has grown up the rough and had two shots sitting down in heavy rough. These sliced through those gnarly lies with zero issues.

If it wasn't for my putting (greens are still recovering from Summer maintenance) I would have shot a 36. Instead I settled for a 39.

These irons are for real! No joke.

Helluva shot Ary. I had some good looks at birdie too, putter let me down.

nice shot Ary. I'd make u putt it.
Not really. But seriously. I would.

BlackBerry Tapatalk...laugh it up.

My group never concedes birdies. The value of the hole doubles on birdies, so there's no way we would give one away. I like it, because it gives you experience hitting pressure putts.

It's pretty cool that everyone is seeing some positivity straight out of the gates. I've been trying to think of how these wouldn't be beneficial to someone and I can't come up with a reason. Although, perhaps we're spoiled b/c we got to have custom shafts installed?

I find them to be incredibly consistent and quite user friendly. I loved the lack of sound from the i20's but there's something about the sound of these that is addictive. They really are quite loud and audible at impact. I like it. It makes me feel like I'm a ball striker. Durability seems to be fantastic too. I'm not seeing any bag chatter yet and I dread the day that I do.

They really shine when you aren't in the fairway like biggsy said. They seem to almost tear through what's in the way as opposed to being affected by it. I know I need a few more reps to get totally comfortable with setting up to the ball with them. I am seeing, on the occassion, the slight left to right shot shape. It's not bad at all but I still inherently line up a little right of my target due to years of hitting cut shots. I need to get that dialed in soon.

TC do you think these clubs could really be beneficial to any player out there? Also knowing that you've had just a few sets of irons in the bag over the last year-18 months(Burner 2.0, RXT, R11, that week with the Ci11,i20, and now these), would you say these are equal to some of those in terms of total performance or more demanding?

I think you Cleveland staffers have done a very good job so far talking about these. I'm excited to see them next month in MB

Questions for you 588 guys...

What shafts are you playing? How are the lofts? Stong like RBZ/Burner irons or weaker lofted like an MB or MC?

Do they come with the Lamkin Crosslines like the 588 wedges do? If so, how do those feel of full shots? I love them on my wedges but they feel almost too soft, like they could get slippery on a more aggressive swing.

I think the 588 irons are beautiful by the way.

TC do you think these clubs could really be beneficial to any player out there? Also knowing that you've had just a few sets of irons in the bag over the last year-18 months(Burner 2.0, RXT, R11, that week with the Ci11,i20, and now these), would you say these are equal to some of those in terms of total performance or more demanding?

I think you Cleveland staffers have done a very good job so far talking about these. I'm excited to see them next month in MB

Pretty dang good questions deano. The experimenter in you is curious, I can tell. I personally feel like the i20's are more demanding. A lot of that has to do with what makes me more comfortable with my eyes at address. The i20's aren't that intimidating but there's something ingenious about the design of these 588's that is hard to explain unless you have them and spend some time over the ball with them. They truly give a positive impression and I think that can breed some good results.

The 588's, for me, out perform a lot of those irons b/c to me, they can do more and do more with less ease. You ever try to flight Burner 2.0's lower? Or hit a punch cut underneath a tree with one? Those things are made to do two things: high and far. That's all fine and dandy until you don't need either. What if you need low and accurate?

I would absolutely recommend these irons to just about any one, but only on one condition: that they get the right shaft and get them fit to them. I believe that with a proper fitting, heel and toe strikes can almost be eliminated. Find a combo that is successful and put yourself in a position where you are hitting the center of this clubface and you'll be hard pressed to find something about them you don't like.

Now, some may say that they need more distance out of an iron. That's understandable. I would say to them to perhaps think about the tee box they choose to play from, or stop worrying about hitting said iron so far and start learning what club equates to exact yardages, b/c these can provide that.

It's really easy to provide feedback when you have a product you believe in. Cleveland has a tremendous product on their hands in these irons. I was completely enamored with the i20's and these are quickly making me forget about them. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Buddy that was just the answer I was looking for. Not only did you answer the question, but you went on as to why you answered the way you did. I like that a lot. And yes the experimenter in me is curious.

Questions for you 588 guys...

What shafts are you playing? How are the lofts? Stong like RBZ/Burner irons or weaker lofted like an MB or MC?

Do they come with the Lamkin Crosslines like the 588 wedges do? If so, how do those feel of full shots? I love them on my wedges but they feel almost too soft, like they could get slippery on a more aggressive swing.

I think the 588 irons are beautiful by the way.

I have the PXi 6.0 shafts in mine.

They are traditionally lofted, like the MC's.

They do have the Lamkin Crosslines like the wedges.

I'm actually a fan of the grips. I didn't know how I felt about them at first but I like them. I have had zero issue with slippage. And while I don't live in the humidity that you have in Bama, it's still pretty humid here. It's not been a problem at all.

Buddy that was just the answer I was looking for. Not only did you answer the question, but you went on as to why you answered the way you did. I like that a lot. And yes the experimenter in me is curious.

Having played with you. I can't think of one reason why you ever need to not be in the GE class of irons. You're a ball striker. I believe that it's imperative to find the right shaft and to have them fit to your body and swing though. I can see how ill fitted equipment can be detrimental. These just won't hide that as much as others can.

I have the PXi 6.0 shafts in mine.

They are traditionally lofted, like the MC's.

They do have the Lamkin Crosslines like the wedges.

I'm actually a fan of the grips. I didn't know how I felt about them at first but I like them. I have had zero issue with slippage. And while I don't live in the humidity that you have in Bama, it's still pretty humid here. It's not been a problem at all.

Thanks TC. I appreciate the feedback. Glad you're liking those irons so much! They really are beautiful... with all the badging and what not that irons have these days, I love the classic look of the 588 and the CF logo.

Having played with you. I can't think of one reason why you ever need to not be in the GE class of irons. You're a ball striker. I believe that it's imperative to find the right shaft and to have them fit to your body and swing though. I can see how ill fitted equipment can be detrimental. These just won't hide that as much as others can.

I think with the right setup these would be more than fine for me. Hey I saw you mention the Crossline grips on the irons. You have a different Lamkin grip on the wedges right, the 3Gen or NDur, something like that. Have you thought about throwing the Corssline on the wedges? I know how you love to have things matchy matchy

Pretty dang good questions deano. The experimenter in you is curious, I can tell. I personally feel like the i20's are more demanding. A lot of that has to do with what makes me more comfortable with my eyes at address. The i20's aren't that intimidating but there's something ingenious about the design of these 588's that is hard to explain unless you have them and spend some time over the ball with them. They truly give a positive impression and I think that can breed some good results.

The 588's, for me, out perform a lot of those irons b/c to me, they can do more and do more with less ease. You ever try to flight Burner 2.0's lower? Or hit a punch cut underneath a tree with one? Those things are made to do two things: high and far. That's all fine and dandy until you don't need either. What if you need low and accurate?

I would absolutely recommend these irons to just about any one, but only on one condition: that they get the right shaft and get them fit to them. I believe that with a proper fitting, heel and toe strikes can almost be eliminated. Find a combo that is successful and put yourself in a position where you are hitting the center of this clubface and you'll be hard pressed to find something about them you don't like.

Now, some may say that they need more distance out of an iron. That's understandable. I would say to them to perhaps think about the tee box they choose to play from, or stop worrying about hitting said iron so far and start learning what club equates to exact yardages, b/c these can provide that.

It's really easy to provide feedback when you have a product you believe in. Cleveland has a tremendous product on their hands in these irons. I was completely enamored with the i20's and these are quickly making me forget about them. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Outstanding answer to Deano's question TC. You're reppin' the hell out of your sponsor, great work. Actually ALL of you Cleveland guys are doing a phenomenal job, keep it up!

Thanks TC. I appreciate the feedback. Glad you're liking those irons so much! They really are beautiful... with all the badging and what not that irons have these days, I love the classic look of the 588 and the CF logo.

Not a problem. I agree, these babies just turn heads.

I think with the right setup these would be more than fine for me. Hey I saw you mention the Crossline grips on the irons. You have a different Lamkin grip on the wedges right, the 3Gen or NDur, something like that. Have you thought about throwing the Corssline on the wedges? I know how you love to have things matchy matchy

I have the white 3Gens on the wedges. I'm not so OCD about grips to be honest. I actually really like the 3Gens to be honest, they're more my cup of tea. I wasn't stoked about the Crosslines at first if I'm being honest but they seem fine.

Outstanding answer to Deano's question TC. You're reppin' the hell out of your sponsor, great work. Actually ALL of you Cleveland guys are doing a phenomenal job, keep it up!

Thanks. It's pretty easy. Imagine that, spending a little time on the forum providing some feedback. I enjoy the hell out of it. I am trying to be as subjective as possible. I can't find a reason why these are "out of someone's league"

I have the white 3Gens on the wedges. I'm not so OCD about grips to be honest. I actually really like the 3Gens to be honest, they're more my cup of tea. I wasn't stoked about the Crosslines at first if I'm being honest but they seem fine.

I have the crosslines on my MC stuff too. I'm not 100% sold on them yet, but I do like them as an alternative to Tour Velvets.

Great answers TC. I knew you would love the 588 CB's!

Back