Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

R11 irons. With the way that my 588 CB irons are configured, the lofts are all 1-2 degrees weaker than the R11 irons.

And your only "maybe" 5 yds shorter? 588's are forged, forgiving, soft, and long!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

And your only "maybe" 5 yds shorter? 588's are forged, forgiving, soft, and long!

Kinda like little baby Z-Stars.

And yes I did just quote myself.

It was only one round, so I need to get some more on-course action to give you a more accurate comparison. However, I wasn't coming up extremely short on shots today, which was nice.

Trying to stay out of this thread until I go to my fitting next weekend so I don't do anything dumb :|

Trying to stay out of this thread until I go to my fitting next weekend so I don't do anything dumb :|

And you are here now becaauusseee???

And you are here now becaauusseee???

May or may not have read a few more pages :(

I thought I'd put up some thoughts about these irons while I'm on my dinner break at work tonight. As I posted in the "What did you shoot" thread, I played a round this morning, and didn't really have my best game, I hit some shots with these irons that really made me smile.

To answer MSB's question, I went with the KBS Tour shafts in stiff flex, exactly what I've been playing since mid-2010. My irons are bent 1 degree strong to have a 4 degree gap between the PW in this set and my 50 degree wedge. I haven't had any issues with digging, but I'm don't take huge divots in the first place, so I wasn't really worried about that. In terms of distances, I started off playing for 5 yards shorter than my old irons, but had some shots later in the round that nearly matched my old distances. It helped that the temperatures were in the 90s so the ball was flying really well, but in the future, I don't think there will be much of an adjustment even when it cools down. One thing that was good for me is that in almost any situation where I was between clubs in my head with the new math, I just took the longer club and swung easier, I'll have to remember that down the road.

As some of the other guys have talked about, these irons really slice through the rough well. Of course, even though we are all internet golfers, we sometimes hit it in the rough. I had 2 shots on consecutive holes where the rough was fairly deep and I thought that I would have trouble with the shots...but both times I made really good contact and hit the green!

One other thing that I noted is that the spin on these irons is pretty impressive. Of course, they are new, but I was getting more spin with this set of irons than my prior set of irons. Since the shaft is the same, I have to think that it is the face design. I was alternating playing the Z Star and the Z Star XV ball during the round, and I might actually spin it too much with the Z Star ball and these clubs; I had a shot with the PW that I thought I hit a little thin, only to get onto the green and see that the ball had spun back 2 feet from its pitchmark. I had another shot from the rough to a severely elevated green, so I'm thinking "this is going to land near the front of the green and release all the way to the back." I hit the 9 iron, and saw the ball hit on the front of the green, then couldn't see where it ended up. I get to the green, and the ball is about 6 feet in front of the pitchmark. That level of spin to an uphill green out of the rough surprised me, in a good way.

I did struggle with some shots, but on the shots that were hit well, the side-to-side dispersion is pretty tight. I'm hoping that as I get more comfortable with these irons, I can start taking slightly more aggressive lines on some approach shots instead of aiming for the middle of the green on everything. Like some others have mentioned, for whatever reason these clubs can create a nice "baby draw". Everyone that has played golf with me knows that a little draw is my preferred shot, so this is quite pleasing for me. Even on a couple of shots where I overcooked the draw, I missed the green by less than 5 yards on the left, instead of 10-15 yards with my prior set of irons.

I will need some more practice time with the 5 iron, I only hit one shot with it and it was a little fat, came up 15 yards short and left on a par 3. I probably should have choked down on the 4 hybrid, but I had not hit the 5 iron at all prior to that, so I decided to try it.

Thanks for reading this stream of consciousness, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Very nice thoughts Ary!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Very nice thoughts Ary!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Back to your shovels, Chunkster! We're talking real irons here.

slacking i know. catching up finally.

Questions for you 588 guys...

What shafts are you playing? How are the lofts? Stong like RBZ/Burner irons or weaker lofted like an MB or MC?

Do they come with the Lamkin Crosslines like the 588 wedges do? If so, how do those feel of full shots? I love them on my wedges but they feel almost too soft, like they could get slippery on a more aggressive swing.

I think the 588 irons are beautiful by the way.

i went with the Rifle Precision 5.5 and had them bent strong 2 degrees.
i wanted to get them bent up to be pretty close to what i've been playing. i also believe i added about a 1/4" to the length, to fit my specs. i actually was fitted for the Rifle shafts and at the time i was hitting that shaft the longest and most accurate. i'm not seeing the distance i thought i would, which is kinda bumming me out right now...but i plan on going back up to my fitter soon for a reassessment, as well as possibly getting in a mini lesson, and they're also pretty excited to get to see bad boys in person. *side note* - i just met these guys this year, and they're great. they're very personable, friendly, and they knowledgeable. they get really excited every time i come around and talk about the Morgan Cup and THP...they think it's the coolest thing ever. but regressing, i will be heading up there soon to examine my swing a little.
the good thing is, my minor loss of distance and transition period has not really affected my scores, which is good. and i'm not an idiot...so i just club up now when i need to or lay off. i actually think a few more range sessions would do me very good.
my grips are Cleveland GP Tour Velvet. i've had these grips on all my irons, but Cleveland has a different take on them than what i'm used to. i still really like them. my next choice would be the GP NDMC. these grips rock, no question there. i have them on my driver, hybrids and wedges and they're great. i'm actually still seriously thinking about re-gripping my irons to these because i've grown to like them so much. don't get me going on how much i love them in my wedges. Cleveland made a dream come true with letting us custom color our wedges and the way mine came out still amaze me today. These definitely are my favorite part so far....

It's been awhile since I've had clubs in my bag that were simply stunning. Some of my clubs have been hot and sexy, but my full Cleveland bag is just so classicly good looking, it should be illegal. The 588's really stand out and are a great addition to my bag.

Kinda like little baby Z-Stars.

And yes I did just quote myself.

In my opinion, the 588 CBs and the Z-Stars are completely different irons.

Back to your shovels, Chunkster! We're talking real irons here.

Uhm OK

There was some great discussion on these irons yesterday. I wanted to thank the Cleveland staffers for providing a bunch of information on them. For all those interested in these irons make it a point to read the last couple of pages.

Agreed, ddec. I'm looking forward to letting a few THP'rs give them a swing this weekend.

Agreed, ddec. I'm looking forward to letting a few THP'rs give them a swing this weekend.
SW doesnt know it yet, but I am going to be taking some swings with his as well.

There was some great discussion on these irons yesterday. I wanted to thank the Cleveland staffers for providing a bunch of information on them. For all those interested in these irons make it a point to read the last couple of pages.

Thanks dude. It's fun talking about equipment provided to us as Morgan Cuppers. Imagine that.

SW doesnt know it yet, but I am going to be taking some swings with his as well.

don't steal any of that 588 magic from his set.

Thanks dude. It's fun talking about equipment provided to us as Morgan Cuppers. Imagine that.

I rather enjoy it.

I played 9 holes last night and hit the 588's real well. I am not quite as long with them as I was with the 2.0's, but darn close. I love the sound when I hit the 588's well! I am playing a baby draw on most of my long irons and my short irons have been straight as an arrow. The turf interaction is absolutely top notch and the thinner sole cuts the turf like a knife and I make clean, pretty divots that I can place right back in the fairway like I was never there. Since joining THP I have been an absolute equipment ho, with 3 different sets of irons in 2.5 years, 3 drivers, 3 different wedge configs, a couple of 3 woods, multiple hybrids, 4 putters. The point here is that I honestly feel the 588 CB's will be in my bag for at least a few years. I just love the looks, (this is the prettiest CB set on the market IMO), I haven't lost much distance at all, and the results have been great for me. I said before that I was nervous that my game would really suffer going to a more players iron. I am no longer worried (obviously). A couple of high lights from last night:

8 iron from 154 yards in the fairway- flew directly over the flagstick, bounced once and spun to a stop 15 feet behind the flag. These irons combined with the Srixon Z Star ball is a great combo! Missed the birdie.

7 iron from 166 out of the rough - Flier lie down grain sitting up, hit a baby draw that ended up on the left side of the green about 30 feet from the cup. Rolled out about 15 feet from the ball mark. Ball fight was mid to high trajectory and slightly turning right to left. Missed the birdie.

7 iron from 158 uphill on a par 3 - Pin high left of the flag about 20 feet. Another slight draw. See a pattern here? I am quite often left of the pin. par

6 iron from 181 in the fairway - Ended on the left fringe, another draw. Divot was perfect, just in front of the ball, shallow and even. Almost made the 50 foot fringe putt.

As you can see I still need to adjust a bit and trust this draw I am consistently playing now. It seems when I aim right edge of green I am hitting them straight, but drawing a little when going directly at the flag. Still figuring it out and haven't had much time to practice so I am figuring it out on the course. Work should calm down a little here in the next few weeks so I should be able to get some range time in soon. My HC has gone up slightly in my time with these, but that has more to do with knocking off 3 of my best scores from last year (74, 75, 77) and replacing them with low 80's. I am close to going low again, well low for me. :)

I like the 588 irons much better than the Z-Star irons. These things are ultra legit! They are also very beautiful. You know that they are calling out for custom paint fill.

Nice swinging, TH!

Seth, I originally was all set on some paintfill for these guys, but I can do it. They look too good for me to mess with right now. Maybe somewhere down the line.

Agree with JB and Seth, completely different irons.

Looking forward to having some other THPers hit them tomorrow.

I agree. Some great info. Apparently I'm not allowed in though lol

Of course you're allowed chunky. I just won't take anything you say seriously. Your handicap is too high :alien:

I firmly stand behind my thoughts that anyone could utilize these with the right shaft/fitting. I don't think there's much there to be intimidated by at all.

Still trying to decide on set make up.

I see Toms is playing CB all the way to the PW. Not that I need to play what the Tour Pros play, but if he sees no need for the MB's then why should I? Well...only reason...THEY LOOK COOL! Buuuut I'm starting to think full CB set.

Back