Official 2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just embarrassing. Makes all Heat fans look bad..

Every generation wants to have their star be "iconic" and in time perhaps he proves to be so, but people have a tendency to get a tad bit ahead of themselves.

This is exactly what I was trying to say last night. Maybe I'm not as tactful in my way of saying things. But I was going for the same point.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Was the game even over before the sycophants shifted the conversation to LBJ vs MJ? Seriously, you finally have something concrete that you can celebrate - most normal people would take a second to enjoy one of the few accomplishments he actually has before starting another controversial and unwinnable argument about how he's the greatest to ever play the game.

I don't feel like I own him. I do feel betrayed by him.

He grew up 35 mins from me. He is my age. Our high schools played basketball against each other.
He got drafted by cleveland, offered himself as the identity of the franchise, became the symbol of cleveland sports.
He promised us a ring.

In a moment where he had a chance to show true character: he chose the easy and fun way out. It is his choice and he was 100% allowed to do it. But in doing so, he betrayed an entire city and left Cleveland devoid of any stars. And devoid of any chance of winning. We haven't won anything here since 1964. It was the browns and it predates the superbowl era. When he left- so did our chances of winning one in the next 5-8 years.

That isn't me owning him... that's me feeling betrayed. He could have stayed and kept his promise. He could have stayed and help lift cleveland sports to something that most cleveland fans have never experienced. But he chose the easy way out. Would it have been more difficult to stay in cleveland? You bet! Would it have been harder to win? You know it... but to a blue collar sports city like cleveland you keep your promises, even if its hard. You stay loyal to the people who love and depend on you, and you often choose to do what is "right" and not what is "easy".

Also- I would appreciate you not lecture me on the dying people all over the world. Thanks.

While I respect your opinion. I will never understand a city's feeling that a person is their "property". I'm a huge sports fan with full season tickets to the Washington Capitals and Nationals. But, I never look at a player like they're my property. I'm sure the Lebron and Cleveland debate has been beaten to death.

It's a shame one city hates one person so much, considering this is a free world and a person is free to do whatever they please. There is no reason a logical person would look at another person as their property...like many people in Cleveland do. He made that city A LOT OF MONEY, but no one (or city) owns anyone.

The worse part is seeing people hate a person over a sport, there are people dying all over the world (including our troops). Our country has to look over our shoulder everyday waiting for the next terrorist bomb. Where is the perspective?

I don't feel like I own him. I do feel betrayed by him.

He grew up 35 mins from me. He is my age. Our high schools played basketball against each other.
He got drafted by cleveland, offered himself as the identity of the franchise, became the symbol of cleveland sports.
He promised us a ring.

In a moment where he had a chance to show true character: he chose the easy and fun way out. It is his choice and he was 100% allowed to do it. But in doing so, he betrayed an entire city and left Cleveland devoid of any stars. And devoid of any chance of winning. We haven't won anything here since 1964. It was the browns and it predates the superbowl era. When he left- so did our chances of winning one in the next 5-8 years.

That isn't me owning him... that's me feeling betrayed. He could have stayed and kept his promise. He could have stayed and help lift cleveland sports to something that most cleveland fans have never experienced. But he chose the easy way out. Would it have been more difficult to stay in cleveland? You bet! Would it have been harder to win? You know it... but to a blue collar sports city like cleveland you keep your promises, even if its hard. You stay loyal to the people who love and depend on you, and you often chose to do what is "right" and not what is "easy".

Also- I would suggest you not "lecture" me on the dying people all over the world. Thanks.

I understand where you are coming from Gus and I would feel the same way if I were you but he got drafted by Cleveland, he gave you 7 great seasons and tried to win a championship in cleveland and he tried to stay but nobody would come to cleveland to play. His only option to truly win multiple rings was to leave. Young men with money and options don't want to go to Cleveland.
I would also say it probably was not the "easy" road for him. It would have been much easier to stay.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post Rx!

I'm not from Cleveland but I share the same thoughts. Wanna know the difference between MJ, Magic, Bird, Thomas and BronGone? All those goes helped develop draft picks and build a franchise into a CHampionship caliber one during their time.

I pay for my television service, am a tax paying US citizen and I can view and criticize whoever the eff I want to. I have nothing against Lebron the basketball player, and I actually think he's a good person who does a lot of right things, but he dumped all over a city. A city that supported, nurtured, developed and loved him. Let's just call it what it is: he can't get it done without other perennial all stars. Notable one of the best SG's and best PF's in the league.

I understand where you are coming from Gus and I would feel the same way if I were you but he got drafted by Cleveland, he gave you 7 great seasons and tried to win a championship in cleveland and he tried to stay but nobody would come to cleveland to play. His only option to truly win multiple rings was to leave. Young men with money and options don't want to go to Cleveland.
I would also say it probably was not the "easy" road for him. It would have been much easier to stay.

I guess... but that would have been the more difficult basketball move.

As it was, he chose to move to Miami and join a team of a sure fire Hall-of-Famer and a perennial allstar, both in the primes of the careers. Basketball and lifestyle wise, that appears to be a pretty easy move.

I guess... but that would have been the more difficult basketball move.

As it was, he chose to move to Miami and join a team of a sure fire Hall-of-Famer and a perennial allstar, both in the primes of the careers. Basketball and lifestyle wise, that appears to be a pretty easy move.

Yep, he made the easy move to get a ring. No doubt. 2 years, 2 finals, 1 championship. Let's see if it can continue.

Good post Rx!

I'm not from Cleveland but I share the same thoughts. Wanna know the difference between MJ, Magic, Bird, Thomas and BronGone? All those goes helped develop draft picks and build a franchise into a CHampionship caliber one during their time.

I pay for my television service, am a tax paying US citizen and I can view and criticize whoever the eff I want to. I have nothing against Lebron the basketball player, and I actually think he's a good person who does a lot of right things, but he dumped all over a city. A city that supported, nurtured, developed and loved him. Let's just call it what it is: he can't get it done without other perennial all stars. Notable one of the best SG's and best PF's in the league.

They asked a very good question on Mike and Mike this AM:
If you don't like him: What would you tell your kids... " I don't want you to be like LBJ because..."

There really aren't a lot of answers. He isn't Kobe or Tiger who have huge morality issues. He isn't like Clemens or Bonds because he hasn't used PEDs. He is a bit of a jerk, but MJ was too. He whimps out when it counts but he beat that rap this year.

There really isn't a lot of tangible, concrete reasons to dislike Lebron. The one that resonates with me is loyalty (see above)- but that is a pretty weak argument for why a kid shouldn't look up to LBJ.

Yep, he made the easy move to get a ring. No doubt. 2 years, 2 finals, 1 championship. Let's see if it can continue.

that he did. But you know what, he earned it this year. It's not like they walked through the playoffs this year. Which was good to see, it made it interesting. They were down 2-1 to Indy(with no Bosh), and down 3-2 on the road to the Celtics.

If you don't like him: What would you tell your kids... " I don't want you to be like LBJ because..."

There really aren't a lot of answers. He isn't Kobe or Tiger who have huge morality issues. He isn't like Clemens or Bonds because he hasn't used PEDs. He is a bit of a jerk, but MJ was too. He whimps out when it counts but he beat that rap this year.

There really isn't a lot of tangible, concrete reasons to dislike Lebron. The one that resonates with me is loyalty (see above)- but that is a pretty weak argument for why a kid shouldn't look up to LBJ.
Thanks to Mike and Mike for introducing a conversation that's even more idiotic that 'LBJ vs MJ'. Seriously, let's compare famous athletes by summarizing each in 3 words and using them as a pretext to discuss things like morality with our children. Give me a break.

Thanks to Mike and Mike for introducing a conversation that's even more idiotic that 'LBJ vs MJ'. Seriously, let's compare famous athletes by summarizing each in 3 words and using them as a pretext to discuss things like morality with our children. Give me a break.

I think the point was more along the lines of: LBJ isn't the villain everyone has made him out to be. At the end of the day he is a good guy who hasn't really done all that much "wrong" in the grand scheme of things... and yet people still dislike him.

How funny is this, coming from a Cleveland fan.
It's Ok. I still "dislike" him!

No way dude...Kobe did nothing wrong. The ladies were just throwing themselves all over him. He is a good dude that just got bad press....

Signed the first page in this thread.

Good post Rx!

Yep when magic got to the lakers he really helped develop worthy, Kareem and the others into championship players.

Yep when magic got to the lakers he really helped develop worthy, Kareem and the others into championship players.

One could argue that he did actually assist in developing Worthy into the player he became and certainly B. Scott. The fast break is what made them and he was the centerpiece of that run.

I knew someone was going to say that. Did Magic win a championship without Kareem? What's your excuse for Thomas/MJ/Bird? Don't have one. Sorry breezy, but your LBJ homerness in here is awful. Makes me wonder when the hell you started watching basketball. 8 or 9 years ago?

I knew someone was going to say that. Did Magic win a championship without Kareem? What's your excuse for Thomas/MJ/Bird? Don't have one. Sorry breezy, but your LBJ homerness in here is awful. Makes me wonder when the hell you started watching basketball. 8 or 9 years ago?

Do the people of Orlando hate Shaq?

LBJ has his ring, lets move on. Can we talk about Kobe?

Do the people of Orlando hate Shaq?

Oh my goodness yes. And you are already hearing the outcry about the Howard situation.

Wow I actually don't consider myself a LeBron homer but you clearly can't win in this thread.

LeBron is clearly a terrible basketball player who can't win in clutch, a terrible person for leaving a city that drafted him and he tried to win in and unlike all other great basketball players he can only win with other good players.

This tread is just awful I'm out.

There was similar out cry when Shaq wanted out of Orlando for sure. And it's not like he didn't have talent in Orlando either. IMO, it's one of the reasons he isn't the GOAT when it comes to the Center position. He had to have Kobe and Dwade.

Wow I actually don't consider myself a LeBron homer but you clearly can't win in this thread.

LeBron is clearly a terrible basketball player who can't win in clutch, a terrible person for leaving a city that drafted him and he tried to win in and unlike all other great basketball players he can only win with other good players.

This tread is just awful I'm out.

OMG....Wow.
I thought people could have civilized conversations about sports, but once again we see what happens. I happen to believe if you read through my posts in this thread you will see objective thoughts from both sides. Yet, you have to understand after the constant MJ comparisons and the Heat posts like the wonderful Macho Man Savage, guys are a little defensive when people take the baby side of it. I mean read the first page and see how this entire thread started.

Oh my goodness yes. And you are already hearing the outcry about the Howard situation.

Yeah. I didn't know about Shaq. Just wondering. Whatever. Guys should be allowed to leave when they want and for whatever reasons without being criticized I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back