2012 Callaway Forged Wedges

My best shots today were with my 54*. Hole number 1, 25 yards to 3 feet and number 9, just 15 yards away but on a bad downhill lie, green above me to about 10 feet. I see these staying in the bag for a long, long time.

I have started trying a shot like you mentioned Gh, it is a fun shot to pull off. I think a heavier head helps me stay through the shot and not deccelerate coming through. Nice job on the chip in eagle too, I missed that.

Smalls you went with the copper finish right?

--
Tapatalk2

I have started trying a shot like you mentioned Gh, it is a fun shot to pull off. I think a heavier head helps me stay through the shot and not deccelerate coming through. Nice job on the chip in eagle too, I missed that.

--
Tapatalk2

Nope, I have the dark chrome. What was nice about the shot on the first hole was it was my first touch shot in two weeks, Felt nice to put it close.

Nope, I have the dark chrome. What was nice about the shot on the first hole was it was my first touch shot in two weeks, Felt nice to put it close.

Impressive, touch seems to go away pretty quick. Speaks to your comfort with these wedges.

Who went with copper?

--
Tapatalk2

The Callaway Forged wedges are simply the best wedges I have ever hit. I love the heavier head....it makes some shots so much easier. I almost holed out twice today and hit shots from about 45-50 yards inside gimmee range twice. I know there are alot of good wedges out there....but these wedges with the C grind and the forged heads are just simply amazing!

The Callaway Forged wedges are simply the best wedges I have ever hit. I love the heavier head....it makes some shots so much easier. I almost holed out twice today and hit shots from about 45-50 yards inside gimmee range twice. I know there are alot of good wedges out there....but these wedges with the C grind and the forged heads are just simply amazing!

I agree, I think these are very underrated wedges (in general, I know they get respect here at THP). I had ultimately narrowed it down to these and the ATV (could never find SCOR's to try), and then was selected to test the ATV out. If the ATV's fail me, which is doesn't appear they will to this point, I will be moving to these wedges! Great clubs IMO.

Spent a lot of time working with the wedges yesterday at the range. Full shots, half shots, 20-30 yard pitches, just working on accelerating through even on the shorter swings. I am feeling very comfortable with the wedge in my hand again after the whole debacle I had during my match play tournament. I'm feeling very comfortable with the swing and my distance control is getting better on my shorter shots, which has always just been a problem with swing, not a problem with the wedges.

Did you have much trouble getting used to the weight of the head?

My best shots today were with my 54*. Hole number 1, 25 yards to 3 feet and number 9, just 15 yards away but on a bad downhill lie, green above me to about 10 feet. I see these staying in the bag for a long, long time.

Nice shots dude!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

--
Tapatalk2

Thanks man! Yeah it is seriously my favorite shot right now from 50 yards and in

Nice shots bud. There are few things on a golf course that feel as good as putting one inside 3 feet.

It took me a little while to really start to like it. The club kind of controls itself through contact. The only shot that I am not crazy about the weighting is when I need to flop it. Personally I'd like to feel the head alittle more - or control the heard - but only for that shot. Every other shot I love it.

OK so I have had a little more time with these wedges and have some solid thoughts in terms of how they perform for me. As I had said earlier, I was a little unsure of the stock S300 shaft that is in these. I think I'm over that uncertainty lol

Full shots:
The grind on these wedges really fits my swing. I'm not sure if it's the modified Cgrind is good specifically for a digger but that is what I am and I find myself loving these from a nice lie in the fairway. I don't take the crater sized divots that I can tend to get. I'm seeing nice consistent divots. I would not call them scuffing the ground divots but I would also not call them crater sized. A nice in between. Heck I don't think I have thrown a single full pelt yet. That really helps with my wrist issues.

Ball flight is really high for me on full shots. I was worried at first about this but not anymore. I don't get a ton of spin on my normal shot so I need a little bit of height to stop my ball. When it's windy, I have found these wedges to be very easy to flight. In fact I have had a ton of success in terms of getting close to the pin with a lower knocked down wedge shot. A really easy shot to hit. Last round in fact I threw one nice and low from 78 yards that hopped and stopped within a foot.

Chips/Pitches:
This is the area that I tend to struggle. My scores are higher than I would like due to the fact that I don't get up and down a ton when I miss the green. Again I am unsure if the grind is the reason, but I really enjoy these delicate shots with these wedges. My short game has come alive since getting them. Maybe it's because I am practicing it a bit more. I don't think so though. First day I got these wedges I took them to the short game area and immediately was chipping well with them. I have a tendency to be hesitant which will lead to a chunky chip. I think the heavier head on these wedges has made me more aware of the head in the swing. That has actually lead to me not being hesitant with my chipping/pitching. I've had more ups and downs with these in the few short months that I have had them, than with my previous sets of wedges. Tap ins are a lot nicer than 5 footers.

Looks:
Still the same for me. The copper is just stunning. They look fantastic in the bag. They really stand out. In fact I've had more people come up and ask about them than any other club. On the course I don't see any glare with the copper either. Not sure I can really judge that well though as I've recently turned to sun glasses during a round because my eyes are old.

How does the spin compare to the Vokey and 588?

I've had the 60 vokey and have the 60 forged callaway for this years Morgan Cup. The spin with the vokey is pretty good but with the cally is through the roof. I think the cally is more versatile out of bunkers and around the green

Not really....but when I got them I spent like 3 range session hitting nothing but wedges....probably the first time out It was different..but really once you can see what you can do with the heavier head things start going pretty good.

With the weight of the head short chip shots just become "take the club back and drop the head on the back of the ball"...the weight does the work....for somebody like me that as always struggled either decelerating or getting a little "flippy" with shorter chip shots just off the green, it's made my life easier....I can just let the club do the work.

It did take some getting used to on flop shots, I ended up hitting them further than I wanted for awhile...but all in all, I really like the heavier head.

Wish I could help man but I have not played extensively with either of those wedges. I played the Nike VR's prior to these and quite honestly I don't notice a big difference when I switch wedges as compared to spin. They all play about the same for me. I would think the ball would be the main cog if you are looking to change spin numbers. My differences between wedges will all come down to how my contact is on full shots and pitches and chips. Everything else is pretty much the same across the board. That is just me though

I would agree with my Irish friend....I have hit the new Vokey's and I generate more spin with the Callaways. I am a high spin player to begin with, but I don't have to try to create spin with the Cally's, its just there.

I've had the 60 vokey and have the 60 forged callaway for this years Morgan Cup. The spin with the vokey is pretty good but with the cally is through the roof. I think the cally is more versatile out of bunkers and around the green

Yup me too. I haven't hit the 588's yet - but I did game the CG 15 for a season and loved it. I think these compare really well to the CG 15 line (that was pre conforming grooves though)

Not really....but when I got them I spent like 3 range session hitting nothing but wedges....probably the first time out It was different..but really once you can see what you can do with the heavier head things start going pretty good.

With the weight of the head short chip shots just become "take the club back and drop the head on the back of the ball"...the weight does the work....for somebody like me that as always struggled either decelerating or getting a little "flippy" with shorter chip shots just off the green, it's made my life easier....I can just let the club do the work.

It did take some getting used to on flop shots, I ended up hitting them further than I wanted for awhile...but all in all, I really like the heavier head.

Appreciate the info. Head weight is something I never really thought about much before.

Appreciate the info. Head weight is something I never really thought about much before.

Neither had I until I got these wedges and it's pretty noticable when you first swing them....if you go back to the beginning of this thread it was one of the first things everybody mentioned.

These wedges and I have come a long way together. From the day I first opened the box, from 80 yards in I was in love, but I was struggling with full shots.

It has taken me a lot of range time and a lot of rounds but I'm finally really happy with these wedges for full shots which is important for me.

So how do these do in the sand? (worst part of my game)

I have really liked these from the sand. I find that the heavier weight of the head seems to help me really thump the club into the sand. I've been pretty good out of the sand with these.

I think they are good out of the sand, but sand I feel is more technique than anything.

Back