TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Just a brief update about my round today. I hit the ATV out of three sand traps today and came out every time with a look at par. I made two out of three which is huge deal for me! I am learning how to hood this thing down around the greens and hit some punch & check ya baggage shots :D... Every single one of my 120 yd in shots, were solid and 3 out of 5 were really close and putting for birds. I made only one :angry:. This wedge is the real deal and the more I play it, the more I love it :in-love:

Hart, if I could give you rep for every one of these write-ups, I would. I wish I could do half the job you've done!

Hart, if I could give you rep for every one of these write-ups, I would. I wish I could do half the job you've done!

Ditto! The man has his stuff together and I love having him on our ATV testing Team :blob:

Hat, gave you some rep, what a great review, done to the nitty gritty. I had a feeling these ATV would be great for the average player but hearing a plus handy caper is really getting a good shot out of them is amazing! can't wait to hear more.

Thanks under80, I appreciate that. I am with you in the belief that these would be great for the average player. I think it does a solid job at masking impact/contact mistakes when it comes to hitting it a little thick. Also, I have caught a few sort of thinish, and the ball flies lower, but less, so it actually works out pretty well...especially considering it still has some bite on it. Further is has shown me forgiveness when I've missed it a bit, and the shot dispersion has been nothing short of phenomenal for me thus far.

Where I think these would really shine for the average player is the anti-fatness I've experienced (part of the turf interaction I rave about). I feel like this wedge is begging me to be aggressive with it, and when I try to baby one, I get my worst results. I feel that most average players decelerate and aren't aggressive enough in coming down on the ball with their wedges in fear they will catch it fat...with this wedge I feel that the average player would gain the confidence they need to go at the ball with more trust, and in turn, they would see their wedge game elevate.

Just a brief update about my round today. I hit the ATV out of three sand traps today and came out every time with a look at par. I made two out of three which is huge deal for me! I am learning how to hood this thing down around the greens and hit some punch & check ya baggage shots :D... Every single one of my 120 yd in shots, were solid and 3 out of 5 were really close and putting for birds. I made only one :angry:. This wedge is the real deal and the more I play it, the more I love it :in-love:

It is an absolute monster from the sand, isn't it?

I want to email TM and ask if they will make me a custom hat...forget "Driver Love", I want a "Wedge Love" hat.

:drinks: Cheers, DK. I really appreciate the kind words coming from fellow testers, I was worried I wouldn't be up to snuff with how I wanted to perform as a tester, so I am glad the response thus far has been positive. You (and all of the other testers) have done an equal job with reviewing thus far. We all just have to be ourselves and stick to our review styles...I think it is the perfect mix between the different testers we have. We literally have all bases covered in this testing, and everyone is just bringing it!

I am just long-winded. As a result of that, I write more...I don't necessarily say anything more or less than anyone else testing and giving their thought, I just use more words to do so, haha. Writing is a forte of mine, so I am really enjoying this experience to this point (doesn't hurt that the wedge we are testing is a badass wedge that has me giddy like a schoolgirl)!
Ditto! The man has his stuff together and I love having him on our ATV testing Team :blob:

Thanks OG!! I'm really enjoying following along with how this wedge performs for you, I am pumped to hear that it got the job done for you today!

So I finally finished the video I made for my short game practice, it was hard to get used to the ATV but eventually I started hitting better.

I found myself using the longer grip when I was gripping down and I felt a huge difference. I am glad that taylormade changed the initial paint finish because the wedge looks better than it did but it's still kind of ugly to me in my opinion but Taylormade did a great job at making the club look good at address because in my opinion if it looks good at address it doesn't matter whats underneath. Anyways, go Team Paradise. . .

I have to say the production on that video was noice. You better copy write that thing, I could see that as an ad.

It looked like you're getting a good feel based on the sounds I heard. Keep it up sir.

I feel like the sole is almost too good in handling the rough...so much so that I am having to relearn how to play my chip shots from it. The closer I am to the hole, the more deadly I am. It is just the longer swings (or the ones where I have to open the face more and swing a little longer) that I need to adjust to. When I just had some 10 yard chips to the front pin about 5 yards on, I put them all to tap in or easily make-able range. Just when I get a bit further away and have a few more variables to account for, I don't always do it properly simply because I don't have enough rapport with the wedge just yet.

So if I am reading right the ATV is getting through the grass more smoothly than what you are used to on chip shots? Or is it just different enough from your gamers that you need to adjust to how it works?

Have you hit flops off of tight lies?

So if I am reading right the ATV is getting through the grass more smoothly than what you are used to on chip shots? Or is it just different enough from your gamers that you need to adjust to how it works?

Have you hit flops off of tight lies?

It's just getting through more smoothly than I am used to. Out of the rough, I come down pretty hard into/on top of the ball in order to get it out...I guess I have just become conditioned to do this. With my Vokey 60° that I've used around the greens forever (and every other lob wedge before that, for that matter), I had gotten grooved with that swing knowing it took that to get down to the ball. Now with the ATV I am running into two things:

• It's getting down to the ball very easily, and I'm making such clean contact it's going further than I feel like it normally would (i.e. I don't need to compensate as much for the bad lie)
  • It's getting down so well it's getting UNDER the ball, so it is coming out high off the face and dead. I just need to analyze the lie a little better.

I'm really not alarmed about either, it is just an adjustment I need to make...and when I do, I feel I will come out the beneficiary of making it. These are two very good "problems" to have. The good thing is that this is really the only thing I've needed to adjust to, everything else has just kind of fallen into place early on with this wedge, which is much different than what I anticipated. Wedges are usually something I need to take out to dinner a few times, see a fews movie with, tell it a couple of smooth things I don't really mean, and so on before it will hop into bed with me. The ATV is just like the hopped up wedge at the bar that's ready to make some bad decisions...it just came right into bed from the get go, not many questions asked.

Played 18 today with a migraine and in 100+ degree temps. Got myself a little rest and I am heading to a BBQ, maybe. I will probably post my full thoughts later tonight, but probably in the morning.

A few nuggets until then.

I love, love, LOVE this wedge from around the green. Little chips, little bump and runs, I love it. I found myself today chipping and touch and running, even a few times while the ball was laying in the fringe, when I could have easily putted. It's just so predictable, for me. I have never had this much fun and confidence chipping and touch and running around the greens. The ball hits, it checks beautifully, and releases with a small amount of roll out. The fact I had the confidence to cover the real estate with a wedge, over the putter, is something new for me.

From the fluff and rough, this thing has been great. But I am still struggling mightily from tight lies and hard pan lies. I don't chalk it up to being the wedge, I chalk it up to me not knowing how to use the wedge.

This wedge was in my hand do many times today, I couldn't tell you the amount of times it touched a ball. I had some bad shots, but to me, my bad wedge shots are better with this wedge, than others have been.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

Great reviews! I love my 56 degree so far. I've only had it a couple of weeks.

Oh, and tedfroops...I have not ran into a tight lie with the ATV yet, so no tight lie flops (although I've hit plenty from the fairway, even a downhill fairway lie). I've only had the wedge to the same range/practice area twice thus far. I will find a tight lie soon and get my thoughts up, I promise.

Based on JR's comments above, if I do find a good shot to use for the tight lies with the ATV, I will outline the technique in the case that it might help some others out. Normally I tend to love tight lies, so I don't see it being an issue, but you never know.

Some stellar info in here. Inhart once again a great write up. While in golf galaxy I gave serious consideration to the 60* because the 56 has been so good.

Last edited:
Some stellar info in here. Inhart once again a great write up. While in golf galaxy I have serious consideration to the 60* because the 56 has been so good.

I blindly ordered the 50 pre-receiving the test 56. I never make rash equipment decisions, and I was really worried I might have made a mistake...I was just super pumped to be selected as a tester.

Anyway, I now don't regret it at all...and once I finish giving the 56 the full load of work for testing purposes, I'll be ordering a 60 for myself too.

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo via Tapatalk.

I have to say the production on that video was noice. You better copy write that thing, I could see that as an ad.

It looked like you're getting a good feel based on the sounds I heard. Keep it up sir.

Thanks Tadashi! I appreciate it, this wedge has helped my short game like I've never imagine it I love the feel

does anybody know how these clubs feel in comparison to ping wedges? really any ping wedge works, i've hit a lot of pings.

Thanks Tadashi! I appreciate it, this wedge has helped my short game like I've never imagine it I love the feel
That was a amazing video dude, that would take me a week to figure out how to do lol. Keep up the great reviews fellas.

does anybody know how these clubs feel in comparison to ping wedges? really any ping wedge works, i've hit a lot of pings.

When I was getting fit for my i20's, the PING rep basically forced me to try the Tour S wedges out. I'll admit I didn't pay too terribly close of attention to the wedges, but I do remember hitting them. Here are the three main categories I go by for feel, and the best comparison I can give:

• Sound: ATV is more my style, as it has a nice click. The Tour S sounds dead IMO.
  • Shaft: ATV comes with the KBS Tour stock, I am pretty sure the Tour S has a DG in it. Again, edge to the ATV as I love the feel of the KBS shaft.
  • Weight: The Tour S has some nice weight to it, but the ATV has a bit more IMO. Not much, but a little more...which for me, personally, is a bonus.

Neither wedge is terribly forgiving, not terribly demanding. If anything, I might guess the ATV is a tab more receptive to misses. I am sure someone else can advise with better thoughts/insight than this, since I've had only very limited experience (and no interest in them), but I thought I'd at least put something up for ya.

I've toyed with the old Eye 2 L wedge back in the day (hell those things were old when I was young0, but that's like trying to compare apples to oranges so I'm not even gonna go there.

That was a amazing video dude, that would take me a week to figure out how to do lol. Keep up the great reviews fellas.

Dude...if I knew how to make videos that sweet, I could probably save people a lot of time reading...and myself a lot of time typing. I was watching it on the couch with my girlfriend when he first posted it, and she said "That's a pretty cool looking video, did one of the guys on there make that?". Very impressive.

• It's getting down to the ball very easily, and I'm making such clean contact it's going further than I feel like it normally would (i.e. I don't need to compensate as much for the bad lie)
  • It's getting down so well it's getting UNDER the ball, so it is coming out high off the face and dead. I just need to analyze the lie a little better.

The ATV is just like the hopped up wedge at the bar that's ready to make some bad decisions...it just came right into bed from the get go, not many questions asked.

Thanks Hart. I had hit these in the sim at the local golf shop and was impressed with how well they seemed to pick the ball up off the floor, even on flops. Its not a golf course but I doubt you would find a harder lie.

I am seriously beginning to ponder putting one in my bag.

Thanks Hart. I had hit these in the sim at the local golf shop and was impressed with how well they seemed to pick the ball up off the floor, even on flops. Its not a golf course but I doubt you would find a harder lie.

I am seriously beginning to ponder putting one in my bag.

You're welcome, Ted. If you can find a chance to demo them, I would absolutely advise that you do. They have been great for me so far.

So Today I played 18 holes at Sonoma Ranch Golf Course.

Background info:

The Course is a Par 72 course nestled in the middle of a desert community. It is a semi-Private course that 7028 yards in total from the Championship tees with a Slope rating of 124 and a course rating of 71.1.

Score Card for info
Spoiler
scorecard.jpg

This is one of the most enjoyable course for me to play except for the fact that the rough is quite heavy, deep and the bunkers are filled with rocks and little stones that make getting out of a bunker a chore. The Greens are protected by various bunkers some over 50 yards out which make some shots awkward. You may ask yourself, why is the course the conditions of the course I'm playing matter to the ATV testing? The reason is this-I picked the course to do my first on course experience with the ATV that was in my opinion the hardest for the short game. Some of the pins are in greens that slope in different levels so hitting a wedge perfectly is necessary to hold the green and par.

Approach Shots. 9/10

I am so unconfident when i get within 100 yards of the green. I can hit my irons straight, my woods great and my driver long, but once I hit that last approach shot, I seem to take a wrong turn. At Sonoma Ranch, the Approach shot within 150 yards is the most important.Take this hole for example, the approach shot requires carry over water plus 3 large bunkers to the green and the pin is on the top shelf. I hit my 56 about 100 yard in and hit the green less than 10 feet from the hole, I noticed some of the testers mentioned it was hard to hit approach shots with this wedge, I had the luck of the drunken Irish today because I hit my PENTA TP5 right on to the green and it stopped dead.

Spoiler

7475817794_28767a1b41.jpg

7475834596_83f01ca79b.jpg

The best approach shot of the day with my ATV was a 570 Par 5, (hole 7, blue tees) I hit my Driver 275, My 5 wood 230 and then I hit my approach shot at 65 yards and hit 4 feet from the pin and it stopped dead

Spoiler

I noticed that other testers had some difficulty with the approach shots but today I had some of the best that I've seen. The only thing I lacked was sometimes my approach shots would start right which can be since I wasn't properly fitted for lie angle and I am hitting a bit on the toe at full shots so I gave it a 9 of 10 for now.

Bunker Play 9.5/10

Today I had the pleasure of landing in the bunker that and I had the ball conveniently in a sand hole with rocks around it and then I used the ATV a little farther back in my stance and punched it out to land about 15 feet from the hole and putted for bogey, I doubt I would have made it with any other wedge today.

They only negative though which was the sands fault was the rocks dented the leading edge, this is typical for this course. . .This is what the ATV looked after a beating.

Spoiler

7475898904_af8255df8d.jpg

7475900350_d46868e765.jpg

7475902898_cc2f5a9b91.jpg

7475902300_c819a8c9c6.jpg

I must admit that I have never felt so confident in hitting a wedge from the sand, it didn't matter if it was a deep bunker or a shallow one like I showed earlier, my sand shots were killer today! I gave it a 9.5 out of 10 on bunker play simply because it worked every time in many different situations but I did have difficulty in hard pan sand bunkers the first day I tried hitting out of the bunker.

Chipping 9.0/10

I have always been intimidated with chipping because I either hit it wrong and get under the ball and leaving it exactly where it was. This is where two factors came into play, chipping from the rough and chipping from the fairway. Today was the first time I've ever picked chipping over putting and every time the ball ended up exactly where I expected it to be. Out of the rough, I was able to open the face without fear of hitting it wrong and I saw the ball fly quickly up and land with a decent amount of backspin. The only problem I had was that I didn't get the spin I have seen with the Hi Rev shafts on my xFT wedges and the release was a bit more than desired but it still got the job done! Another thing I noticed is that the first time I picked up the wedge and chipped with it, It felt natural and it didn't take time to get used to chipping properly, it was instant!

Feel and sound 10/10-yes a 10

This is an important thing that I was hoping I would have with the wedge, as shown in the video I made earlier this week, I had a good feel on the club due to the sound that I got when I hit crisp, solid shots and the heavier head also helped in my opinion, I can really feel the wedge grab on to the urethane cover on the Penta TP5 and I love that I can tell the difference between a balls softness on this wedge as well as when I make solid contact say in the rough. I have to give an honest 10 on sound and feel, I got great response from it.

Pitching and Flop Shots. 9.5/10

In the last year I have developed my short game and I learned to do flop shots well with my 60* wedge, but I was never able to do it right with my 56, I also sometimes hit the 60* Vokey wrong and the ball flew over the green or the water/bunker over it. I have never felt confident in my pitching but today i had a great experience when I was able to hit the ball solidly in the rough using a flop shot and landing it soft and dead on the green. The different sole grinds and relative bounce for each shot has made a difference but I noticed some inconsistency in the amount of spin I got, sometimes it would release a lot and other times it would stop dead after it rolled about a foot, so I gave a 9.5 of 10.

Overall 9.5/10

Today's round testing was a great day, I was hitting my Driver and woods great, my hybrid and New burner 2.0 HP irons solidly but for once I can say I was just as confident in my ATV wedge as I am in my other clubs and I must admit that it made a difference in my game, I scored an 87 today which to me was a better score than my normal 90-95. Overall I liked the feel and sound the best, then the chipping and pitching and the Sand bunker play was one of the best i've seen in my game! Overall I gave it 9.5/10 for todays on course experience.

Thank you Taylormade for making a great ball which I had the opportunity to play with today-straight as can be, and THP for allowing us to be part of such a great testing opportunity!

Last edited:
Awesome write up, uriel. Good to see you had some solid shots with the ATV today, and don't worry about the wedge getting dinged up...it was bound to happen sometime! It adds character, just like scars. I'm pumped for ya that it is working out so well for you, and giving you a lot of confidence. Keep it up, dude.

You're digging the balls they sent, eh? I haven't gotten to play since we rec'd the care package, but when I do, I will def be giving them a run. Any comparisons?

Awesome write up, uriel. Good to see you had some solid shots with the ATV today, and don't worry about the wedge getting dinged up...it was bound to happen sometime! It adds character, just like scars. I'm pumped for ya that it is working out so well for you, and giving you a lot of confidence. Keep it up, dude.

thanks man, for a mid/high handicapper like myself- 15 (not Gary Busey) it has really helped my game! I was even impressing my buddy cause he knows I freeze when I get 100 yards in to the green!

thanks man, for a mid/high handicapper like myself- 15 (not Gary Busey) it has really helped my game! I was even impressing my buddy cause he knows I freeze when I get 100 yards in to the green!

Confidence is the key, my man. It can do crazy things to your game.

Confidence is the key, my man. It can do crazy things to your game.

Oh yeah!! I barely became confident with my other stuff this was what was lacking and the way I'm looking at it right now, I may trade in my 52 and 58 xFT or sell them to get a 50, I could really use one now!

IHWT, I would compare the Prov1x and possible the Srixon Z star XV, Callaway Hex Black (this one is most important since it's a combo of the tour distance and tour spin like the Penta) basically the PENTA TP5 is a low driver spin ball with greenside spin-at least that's what I saw today! I was hitting it just as straight as the e6 that I picked up.

Oh and the Bridgestone B330 and RX too haha to many balls to compare too

Back