Does that make a significant difference?

Honestly? I don't know. When you talk to Talamonti he makes a convincing argument. When I try it out myself on the Spine/FLO side, I don't see any difference. On the frequency side, I believe that's very important. Just because you order 8 shafts in stiff flex, doesn't mean that's what you get. KBS has the best tolerance for that by far or one can pony up for the "Tour Issue" dynamic golds (which really just means they've been weighted and flex tested by hand. Usually it's 200 shafts out of a batch of 2000. Then they just label the rest of the batch by the average flex rating of the ones done by hand).

It's dead easy to get 8 shafts and have 5 of them be to flex while the other two are off. Presuming you want a consistent flex for consistent results, those shafts are going to have to be altered one way or another to sort it out. IMO, I consider this rather important and a requirement of having a true "custom" set of irons built for me.

I like to do the work myself when possible and it seems as though it will save me some money. Now I will bot be able to weigh the heads or cycle the shafts, but do I need to? How much of a role does that make?

That depends on how precise you want the irons to be. Will you personally see a difference between a set build to ultra tight specs and one that's not? Maybe, maybe not. If you're ok with maybe not, then no worries. I have nothing against people doing the work themselves nor saving money. In fact, I wish more people would. That being said, you're first post looked, to me, like you were leaning towards a truely custom set of tuned irons. Unfortunately that does not go hand and hand with saving money usually.

I think Im leaning toward getting new or newer used irons and then getting them cut, balanced and reshafted. The question now is do I have the small shop club fitter to do the work, or Golf Galaxy, or Golfsmith?

Anyone have experience with a big box store vs a small shop in terms of quality. They would be cutting, and balancing clubs. The question is, is it worth $560 for new shafts, cut and balanced at the small shop or much less (around $350) at a Golf Galaxy type place? The other consideration is that I can get brand new irons from golf galaxy with the shafts I want ordered at no additional cost and have them cut the shafts down and rebalance them at 50% off the normal custom cost.

I will have to convince my wife that this expense is going to be more of a one time thing.

Options in short:

Used heads from eBay with reshaft at small shop total range $910 to $1110

New Clubs from big box store cut and balanced - total $960

Used heads from eBay with reshaft at Golf Galaxy - total $690 to $890

If you're only saving about $200 on used clubs, i would say get the new ones, some of them will have small up charges for the shafts you need, for example, I bought a closeout set of irons because I was saving about $300 and the dealer told me he would charge the $45 per shaft if I wanted shaft upgrade as well as new grips but if they were new he had no problem popping off the grips and saving them, it's so weird. Anyways, I would get new-I don't trust ebay too much with stuff like that, a lot of us have been burnt too many times

Id say get some newer irons with the shafts you want. Usually, peicing together a set is more expensive than buying a complete set of irons.

If the prices are that close, I'd go new with new shafts. It'd suck to get used clubs on the bay and find out they're counterfeit and be out the cash. Plus getting new stuff is awesome :)

Have you thought about ordering them custom from Nike? You can go through Blind9 for that.

--
Tapatalk2

I would get them from Nike in a second, but they won't go 2 inches short with my specs.

Do you think I can trust the work at golf galaxy

I would get them from Nike in a second, but they won't go 2 inches short with my specs.

Do you think I can trust the work at golf galaxy

Don't know, I've never had any work done there. I have had quite a bit of stuff done at golfsmith however. They have a membership club that gets you a pretty decent discount as well, it is like $50 to join or is free if you buy a club and there are a few very cheap clubs you can get to qualify for the membership. Just go in and ask about it.

Other than 2" short what is your specs?

--
Tapatalk2

My specs would be:

2 inches short
Rifle 6.0 soft stepped
rebalanced to a D1 or D2 swing weight
the rebalancing part is what I'm a little worried about the big box store doing correctly.

All else equal, make sure you know 2 inches short from what length. From what I know, there is no standard length, and it could vary up to 1", depending on which club you buy/select...so, make sure you know the starting point.

From what I read so far, man, that is one expensive job for reshafting...of course there is time invested if you do the work...but if you are DYI type, do this as a weekend project.

there is lot of swing weight calculation you can do to get it close to where you want it to be. You may not have all the right equipment, but you can get it close.

But if you have the funds and resources, that could be not that much $$$.

Back