Grogger31

Swing hard, just in case
Reaction score
Handicap
Just played for the first time today and I couldn't believe how worn my grips are.

I'm looking for recommendations from you guys. I've had this iron set for 6 years and will most likely buy a new set next season. So, I'd like something nice (as I'll be holding on to these sticks), but nothing top of the line (since they won't be a primary set for long).

Thanks for helping out!

Grogger-

Here is a short discussion on people's favorite grips:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2926

Not all of it is relevant to your questions, but some of it might be.

What grips are you using now and how do you like them? Too soft/firm? Too small/large? What price point are you looking for?

Thanks for the link, Harry.

I currently have the factory Ping grips that came on my ISI's. They were on the firm side, but I'd have to say I'm not overly picky because I don't know any better (ashamed to say I'm a "grip newbie").

As far as price point, I only have a rough idea by looking at TGW at Golfsmith. It looks like they have some nice grips in the $4-5/grip range which would be fine (although I don't know what someone will charge to regrip them for me ... *gulp*).

Thanks again.

I would try a local place Grogger. Many places right now have tons of grips in that price range that they will install right there for you and it is built into the price.

I put some Sharpro Dual Compound Grips on my irons a couple months ago and I really like them. You can get them at TGW for a little over $3 each.

I use the PING 703 (gold, +1/32) grips on all of my clubs and really like them. They run about $5 per grip. But I also like the stock grips that Callaway is using now. Not sure how much those are. Lots of people are going to the "Multicompound" grips these days, but they are more expensive than the typical GolfPride Tour Velvet.

JB is right that a lot of stores will do the regripping for free if you buy the grips from them. But it is easy if you want to do it yourself. (If I can do it, almost anyone can.) You probably have most of the tools in your garage already and can buy the rest pretty cheap. I like doing my own regripping because I can do it exactly when I want it done, no waiting, and because I know it was done right.

You bring up a question, Harry (or a stupid one, depending on your perspective). While I'm unlikely to do it myself, is regripping something that is likely to get screwed up. There are no big name golf shops around me, the local pro shops are likely to charge a fortune, and I have no idea what to expect from the small golf shops around me.

IIRC, the GP Tour Velvets are very soft, correct? If they are the ones I'm thinking of, I prefer a harder grip :)quiet: Harry)

Most places could not screw up gripping.

As long as there aren't alignment aids on the grip, there's nothing to mess up. If I were to use those, I would have someone in the know do it for me. I have regripped mine before and always used the black wrap-look grips. (Other than the ones on my Goldwins)

Most places could not screw up gripping.

Agreed. And even if they did, they would know it and fix it.

As long as there aren't alignment aids on the grip, there's nothing to mess up.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Yes, the most common mistake would be misaligning the alignment aid/logo/whatever. However, they could also stretch the grip too far, or not enough. Or twist the grip.

But again, not likely for a shop just because they do so many and have it down to a science. All of those things are easy to check by taking a new uninstalled grip and comparing it to the grip on the club. They should be the same length.

Best bang for the buck are the Golf Pride Tour Velvets, hands down.

They're not too terribly soft, I'd classify them as a medium. They're $3.60 ea.

Another option is the classic Lamkin Crossline @ $3.09 ea.

Best bang for the buck are the Golf Pride Tour Velvets, hands down.

I don't know why, but I don't like the feel of the dimple (is that what those are called on a grip?) pattern. It's hard to explain.

Im with you Harry. It just does not feel right to me.

Golf Pride New Decade are the best grips I have ever used, not cheap though.

I'm really liking this soft Winn ( i think its like Di7 or something) that came on my Burner...really soft and tacky

I had a 3W regripped at Golfsmith. I put the Winn DSI AVS V17 soft on it. I love the grip. I also like the grips that came stock on my x-22's. If I go to regrip anything else anytime soon I will most likely put the Winn grips on it also. It was $5.99 for the grip and $2.99 for the regripping. I think I have a similar grip on my 3 Hybrid also.

I don't know why, but I don't like the feel of the dimple (is that what those are called on a grip?) pattern. It's hard to explain.

Do you prefer a 'wrap' type of grip then?

You may look at the Golf Pride and Lamkin offerings. I play the PING NTS grips, which are somewhere in between a velvet and a wrap, and I like them pretty well.

I've been eyeing the Golf Pride Decade Multi Compound (½ cord) and I may throw one on a club just to give it a test drive.

I just dropped of my irons for regripping. I went with the Winn Xi7's. They were a little softer than the GP Tour Velvet's.

Anyone else using these?

I just dropped of my irons for regripping. I went with the Winn Xi7's. They were a little softer than the GP Tour Velvet's.

Anyone else using these?

I'm using those on my Woods, and the PCI's on the irons down.

I use Ping Oversize on my irons and Lamkins on my driver and fairway clubs. I didn't realize how worn my old one's were.

Welcome to THP MK.

Just a follow-up on these. Played nine with the Xi7's this morning. I like them a lot. Soft, but not too soft and pretty tacky.

Back