Michelob Open at Kingsmill

Ricearoni

Reaction score
Handicap
Next week - May 7 - 10.
The field is listed (and, once again it's a good looking one), so I'm starting a thread here. Missing from this field is Paula - but I understand that she's in the field for an Asian event. More money? Prior committment? Sponsor's obligation? Dunno.

Anyway, we will have all of our usual favorites, including most from the top 25 or so on the money list. So - who do I follow? As usual, spouse will follow L.O. I'll be happy to see my favorite - Dorothy Delasin - but as for who to follow for 4 rounds - I'll have to wait until the pairings are up and make my choices.

Anyone going to this one? Great golf, good food (mmm... pulled pork sandwiches at the 19th hole), nice people, beautiful place.

We have been told that she took an appearance fee to play in the Asian event rather than competing in this one.

We have been told that she took an appearance fee to play in the Asian event rather than competing in this one.

Wow, I am really surprised by that! This is a pretty big tournament and the players are always raving about how well they are treated. I am just totally shocked she wouldn't play it.

We heard it from her PR dept, not her agent or from her. However sometimes players commit to events and then the LPGA changes schedule, so that could have been the reason.

Next week - May 7 - 10.
The field is listed (and, once again it's a good looking one), so I'm starting a thread here. Missing from this field is Paula - but I understand that she's in the field for an Asian event. More money? Prior committment? Sponsor's obligation? Dunno.

Anyway, we will have all of our usual favorites, including most from the top 25 or so on the money list. So - who do I follow? As usual, spouse will follow L.O. I'll be happy to see my favorite - Dorothy Delasin - but as for who to follow for 4 rounds - I'll have to wait until the pairings are up and make my choices.

Anyone going to this one? Great golf, good food (mmm... pulled pork sandwiches at the 19th hole), nice people, beautiful place.

It is a great tourney and a great golf course(played there a few times). That said this will probably be the first year I haven't been to an event there(mens or womens) in over 14 years. We used to get free tickets every year for the mens event and then when the women started playing there we would get tickets for $5 from an Busch employee. If I can get my hands on some tickets I may go, it is a great event for the Ladies and the field is very strong.

We heard it from her PR dept, not her agent or from her. However sometimes players commit to events and then the LPGA changes schedule, so that could have been the reason.

No schedule change--it's always the week before Sybase, and Sybase has been the same week at least since it moved north.

Ok - We're on our way to Kingsmill in a few short hours. Weather is wet (per tweets of some of the players). Hoping to follow a few favorites (old and new). I'll try to post from there as my time permits.

Ok - We're on our way to Kingsmill in a few short hours. Weather is wet (per tweets of some of the players). Hoping to follow a few favorites (old and new). I'll try to post from there as my time permits.

Forecast is not looking to great but it changes every day here. If you're in the mood for mexican try La Tolteca, or right across the street from there is Second Street, a very nice American Bistro!!

I am so jealous of your LPGA travels Ricey!

Whew! - Arrived here safely after 2 very bumpy flights. Very rainy in Richmond, but it soon tapered off. Checked in, then walked (had to explain to the desk clerk that we'd been sitting far too long) to Maurizio's restaurant - yum! Veal scaloppine for me, chicken cacciatore for spouse. Mid bite, spouse looked toward the door, and guess who walked in? Lorena, then Reiley Rankin. So fun. We waited a respectful period of time, then said hello to both and good look this week and next.

Now - ready to snooze. Tomorrow we'll likely catch a bit of practice, but also do a bit of site seeing. Post as I can.

Great sighting! I walked with Reilley a couple of years ago. She made a point of thanking all the volunteers throughout her round; very cool.

So great! I wish I had been paying attention. Richmond is actually within striking distance for me, if I had planned my life a little better. Have fun and I'm looking forward to your reports.

Hi All - Nice relaxing day today. We took time in the morning to drive out to Yorktown for sight seeing. What a thrill. We heard a terrific guide explain and show us the battlefield, we saw the victory monument, then walked through historic Yorktown.

About noon time, we arrived back at Kingsmill (just in time for those pulled pork sandwiches for lunch). BTW - They've moved the 19th hole, so you have to hunt it down - now located beyond a merchandise tent, and to the East of the 18th fairway. After lunch, walked back a few holes and caught Lorena at the 15th and walked in from there. Camp followers only numbered about 20, so it was easy going for us. Her drives were sweet, and yes, she out drove the men each time. I then spent time tracking down Dorothy Delasin - saw her at the range and had a chat. Happily, she will be at Sybase, too. The range only had a handfull of players tuning up - Meena Lee, Chris Tschetter, Irene Cho, Diaz, Bader. Callaway had drivers and hydrids out for the players to try/buy. The practice putting green was jammed - Inkster, a few Kims, Lorie Kane, Suzann P, etc. Spent some time there, then grabbed a coffee in the Resort while sitting by the James.

Just had a nice swim, now I think it's out for Thai food.

Craig Mac - La Tolteca sounds great - Likely we'll give it a try later in the week.

Anyone looking for me to say hi - I'm an old bag wearing a khaki colored cap that says San Francisco Symphony on it and is festooned with a few golf vol pins.

Thoughts after dinner...

... Saw a family of shoreline deer at Yorktown. 5 I think. Big boys. At least larger than those on the West Coast.

Some say that this event is the 5th Major. The rough might be an indicator - it's long, folks. Longer than this year's Kraft.

Saw a few more players at dinner. Since it was Thai food, I though we might see some Koreans - wrong - Carin Koch (Sweden) and Katherine Hull (Aussie). Katherine spent a few minutes talking with us when she recognized us from previous events. Very sweet, polite young woman. She's got a great game, too.

Ok. Looking forward to Thursday - Likely a long day for us, so I'll post in the evening if I can.

Last edited:
Awesome Rice. Thanks.

Sounds like you are having a good time! Yorktown is a pretty cool place, my old roomate's grandmother(Bruce Hornsby's Aunt) lived in the Hornsby House right across from the monument, what a charming woman she was. She would have tours of her house and garden, and she even published a cookbook.

To bad the weather is horrible here right now, hopefully it will get better this weekend for you.

Since my baptism this morning in the birdbath known as Twitter, I've listened in on a few of the players at Kingsmill who have been chirping, or tweeting rather, about the event. It sounds like they had some good pro-am groups and that the course is beautiful, but that things are awfully wet.

SO another chapter in the mysterious lack of LPGA TV time this season. Why is the first round not being broadcast? The LPGA website has it listed for Friday-Sunday on ESPN2. It is big enough to get on ESPN (yeah, Judy!), but not big enough to broadcast all four rounds? Oh, I see there is some important ESPN programming between 2-4: The Best of Mike and Mike in the Morning, 1st and 10, and World's Strongest Men. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Anyone looking for me to say hi - I'm a dynamic, glamorous woman wearing a khaki colored cap that says San Francisco Symphony on it and is festooned with a few golf vol pins.

Fixed it for ya!

SO another chapter in the mysterious lack of LPGA TV time this season. Why is the first round not being broadcast? The LPGA website has it listed for Friday-Sunday on ESPN2. It is big enough to get on ESPN (yeah, Judy!), but not big enough to broadcast all four rounds? Oh, I see there is some important ESPN programming between 2-4: The Best of Mike and Mike in the Morning, 1st and 10, and World's Strongest Men. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

ESPN never shows the first round of LPGA events. No clue why.

Couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Fixed it for ya!

Thank you, friend. Just goes to show you - I should never post when I'm tired!

Round 1 report -

The folks here are so nice - Our friend's rental car battery gave out this am, and we had 2 hotel employees, and 2 guests help him jump it. So nice.

Got to the course 8:30ish, in time to see Brittany Lincicome, Vicky H, and Michelle Wie tee off on 10. Big crowd following that group. We then watched some putting practice, then we followed the Ochoa, Shin, Stanford group. Lift, clean and place was in play today. And necessary - even though we had no serious downpours, areas of the course are quite wet with pools of casual water. Lorena played very steady golf. Really no blemishes on the front 9 as her card shows. Her posse today was about 50 strong so following her was a pleasure. Some news on her temporary caddie -he is experienced, having looped for Maria Hjorth. He'll work for Lorena this week and next. Then she takes a 2 week break when Dave's injury should be mended enough for him to get back to work!

At the turn, spouse and I stopped for the obligatory pulled pork sandwiches, then he chased after Lorena's group, and I went to #1 to start out with Dorothy, Joo Mi Kim and Sarah Jane Smith. Dot started out steady, got a birdie on one, but started making errant drives and bogies along with them. :(
Joo Mi's game was the most steady of this group, but I was impressed with Sarah - not followed her before. In fact, I met her coach who trotted along with the few of us with this group. Sarah is an Aussie, is moving to Ohio, and met this coach through Mollie Fankhauser (apparently they are good friends). He thinks she has great promise, and watching her concentration, phyicality, and the like, I agree.

Out to dinner soon - Likely we'll see more players tonight. Most are staying right nearby instead of at the Kingsmill Resort which is a bit too pricey for most.

Thank you, friend. Just goes to show you - I should never post when I'm tired!

Round 1 report -

The folks here are so nice - Our friend's rental car battery gave out this am, and we had 2 hotel employees, and 2 guests help him jump it. So nice.

Got to the course 8:30ish, in time to see Brittany Lincicome, Vicky H, and Michelle Wie tee off on 10. Big crowd following that group. We then watched some putting practice, then we followed the Ochoa, Shin, Stanford group. Lift, clean and place was in play today. And necessary - even though we had no serious downpours, areas of the course are quite wet with pools of casual water. Lorena played very steady golf. Really no blemishes on the front 9 as her card shows. Her posse today was about 50 strong so following her was a pleasure. Some news on her temporary caddie -he is experienced, having looped for Maria Hjorth. He'll work for Lorena this week and next. Then she takes a 2 week break when Dave's injury should be mended enough for him to get back to work!

At the turn, spouse and I stopped for the obligatory pulled pork sandwiches, then he chased after Lorena's group, and I went to #1 to start out with Dorothy, Joo Mi Kim and Sarah Jane Smith. Dot started out steady, got a birdie on one, but started making errant drives and bogies along with them. :(
Joo Mi's game was the most steady of this group, but I was impressed with Sarah - not followed her before. In fact, I met her coach who trotted along with the few of us with this group. Sarah is an Aussie, is moving to Ohio, and met this coach through Mollie Fankhauser (apparently they are good friends). He thinks she has great promise, and watching her concentration, phyicality, and the like, I agree.

Out to dinner soon - Likely we'll see more players tonight. Most are staying right nearby instead of at the Kingsmill Resort which is a bit too pricey for most.

You're making me wish I was there this week.... My favorite spot was up top the 16th green! All the amenities there(beer, food and restrooms), and you could watch the players putt on 16 and walk 20 feet to see thier tee shots on 17. Best experience I had there was seeing Payne Stewart hole what had to be a 75 foot putt!!!

My worst experience was the year we had club passes and I went with a terrible hangover after playing a show the night before and putting grapefruit juice in my coffee thinking it was creamer.....

Enjoy your week!!!

First round picture time:
Spoiler

Morgan Pressel:
72c0ca927b0c453cc22f06c6c8a9826d-getty-84060051hm044_michelobultra.jpg

Jeehae Lee:
6377a44ab2fdd390e148046cc10cbe02-getty-84060051hm037_michelobultra.jpg

be515ccdc4b2d8bbf4cd23bce84dc7a9-getty-84060051hm039_michelobultra.jpg

2dc658be50994f17b7c22a6300dae10e-getty-84060051hm034_michelobultra.jpg

7ae15d24f5c80f9080618b5645a339e2-getty-84060051hm033_michelobultra.jpg

Stacy Lewis:
ddf9a800c1fa8baf9385c2af1af4815d-getty-84060051hm022_michelobultra.jpg

fba07cf3ac70cde18670bb77f8ebd394-getty-84060051hm025_michelobultra.jpg

8acb68c7527df5acec04077024792ab7-getty-84060051hm027_michelobultra.jpg

Vicky Hurst:
5b6e8d9032257505cbefe747d4dc1b46-getty-84060051hm012_michelobultra.jpg

69b18eb0d83ef8b65bb04496daa5fed6-getty-84060051hm016_michelobultra.jpg

04a9d10ecefa2c8df92a87d31be711fb-getty-84060051hm005_michelobultra.jpg

8d3c491032efc980de127e76fed4fc92-getty-84060051hm007_michelobultra.jpg

629cb3172bd73d2637f75a25299083c7-getty-84060051hm011_michelobultra.jpg

1f6a1c3340a30ec9a39d962ff1f3f2b2-getty-84060051hm003_michelobultra.jpg

More first round pictures:
Spoiler

Natalie Gulbis:
147e63c6c28bf414f9b8224c6c8ecb19-getty-84060051hm045_michelobultra.jpg

4238fb7fecb15b4064f1d690355f64fa-getty-84060051hm039_michelobultra.jpg

Lorena Ochoa:
0bea7aef7037e8c6e6d9030c3b1c17b7-getty-84060051hm030_michelobultra.jpg

capt.51c75bfac4fb4c669f4bfa8253a782cc.lpga_tour_golf_vash101.jpg

capt.e44973828a7c4d268c6677fb32ed891d.lpga_tour_golf_vash105.jpg

Michelle Wie:
2c73ab4e64ba7cd8a13e1f568effa4f7-getty-84060051hm009_michelobultra.jpg

capt.f558e7ba46cf47c992c2b7d6bc0c758b.lpga_tour_golf_vash104.jpg

Lindsey Wright:
728c442b40b84e32383fa4d7868f425f-getty-84060051hm020_michelobultra.jpg

capt.47ef97897100464894aff35d6efc61bc.lpga_tour_golf_vash103.jpg

Taylor Leon:
cc384583ce0affd1c084bac8712be5ef-getty-84060051hm024_michelobultra.jpg

Momoko Ueda:
37af5126484138357e37310c7ba85630-getty-84060051hm021_michelobultra.jpg

Vicky Hurst has the same Odyssey "Vegas" grip on her putter that i have on my Odyssey XG9

Back