ActionJackson8

KAHHHHHNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a reef aquarium guy. Anybody else an aquarist?

Used to be. Had a 519 gallon salt reef in our old house.

519 gal? thats huge! I really want to get a nice setup. Local place has some crazy stuff...I want a ray!

Used to be. Had a 519 gallon salt reef in our old house.

That's pretty impressive JB. I just bought a 300 gallon trough style acrylic tank, it's probably going to be a Tridacnid display with a refugium, total water volume will be around 500-600.

It was built into the wall between kitchen and dining room.

That's how I did my first set up, it was only 180 though. I had an upstream filter that was in the attic. It was nice but a pain to clean.

What are the dimiensins of a 519 gallon tank?

I had fish for a while, Cichlids mostly in a 55 gallon long tank. In my previous marriage we had also had a 55 gallon brackish and a 75 gallon salt tank along with the Cichlid tank.. Lost everythng in the salt tank when we lost power for a week. That was the end of salt for us. I haven't had a setup in over 10 years. I actually had a sixth-generation pair of Convict Cichlids from my first mated pair.

Here are some old pics of my tank;

Copyofclowns.jpg

shannon.jpg

Why? So you could constantly scare the fish into submission by showing them full extent of their fate if they didn't behave?

Nemo! hehe

finding_nemo.jpg

i had a goldfish once. it died though

The salt was more work than I wanted in a fish tank. Then of course the power outage took care of that! Salt tanks are great and beautiful, and even better when they are someone else's responsibility!

Depends on what you want to keep and how you set up the system initially, you can go for a lot of automation, they aren't cheap though. A good set of metal halides for a moderately sized reef tank can easily go over 1,000 bucks.

I had a 300 gal semi-aggresive tank about 5 years ago. Man, I dumped a lot of time and money into that tank! Had a sump system with separate media filtration, refugium, and a big skimmer. The money spent on live rock alone! Then $100 for a little clown trigger which ate almost everything.

The porc puffer we had was awesome though. When we got him he was tiny, like a 50 cent piece. When we gave him away a few years later, he was easily softball size, and then volleyball size when he puffed up. That was one smart fish too! Any time we opened the freezer, he splashed up a storm thinking I was grabbing some food for him. If he saw that I didn't grab his food, he'd go sulk in his little cave for half an hour. Too funny!

It was very rewarding to have a salt tank, but I'm very glad I cut that hobby off.

Ben

I think she filled the bowl too high and it fell out.

So basically, you're saying that your fish committed suicide.

Most seem like salt water aquarist with huge tanks. I just have 120 gallon fresh water that seem to be over crowded, even after my 20 in. silver arowana jumping and dying out one night. Funny how my one year old niece calls larger fish "arowana" now (she was the one that spotted the dead fish).

I've alway had salt and reef tanks. Used to have an awesome leopard shark in one years ago.
When I met my wife, we were into them heavily. Had a 75, 55 hex, 125, and 140 cube. Well a few days before the new cube was cycled, luckily my wife was home that day, it broke! Ruined our entire first floor and basement, fire dept. was here (basement lighting, electrical, sparks, etc). Short story...lived without a first floor for about a month as it was getting redone and was over $30k in damages!

Now we have the 75 and I'm about doen with that!

Not anymore, but had smaller freshwater tanks for years. 55 gallon was my largest, along with several 20 gallon. To me the fish were secondary, I liked the water plants. Special lighting stabilizers, fertilizers, layering the mediums, almost a full time job till it got stabilized.

I've pretty much run the gammit on aquariums. Had my first tropical when i was ten. Moved on to salt water. The most challenging fish I raised were Discus. Though I don't currently have an aquarium (do to a move) I would Like to get one in the near future.

Got a 120 SW tank I really need to just tear down and sell. Algae bloom hit a few months ago and won't go away. All I have in it besides about 150 - 200 lbs of LR is 5 damsels and some mushrooms. A bit of an electricity waste. I'mjust running the VHOs over it now, no point turning on the MH.

Also have a 130 mirror back freshwater tank. That is home to the pleco that 20 or so years old. It's well over 14 inches long, not including the tail.

Back