2012 Ryder Cup - Medinah Country Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the assessment that the Americans are going to get crushed this year. All these crazy Irish golfers are playing so well lately. Scary stuff.

Mahan, Stricker, Fowler, and BVP

I think that DLIII is pretty happy that he gets to watch 3 more weeks of the Ryder Cup hopefuls get to play.

ddxu: thanks for pointing out the Tiger BFF factor, that cannot be discounted. I think that Mickelson gets paired with Bradley for all of the team matches, unless Mickelson needs a rest in one of the sessions. Those guys play tons of practice rounds together, and Phil would be able to calm Keegan down during those matches. I can also see Bubba and Webb playing together like they did at the President's Cup last year.

B. Sneds
S. stricks
BVP
J. Furyk

I don't see DJ or Fowler making the squad. DJ was a no show show at PC.

I really don't know about the US getting crushed. That's a pretty strong automatic 8 for the US.

I think Stricker is a lock as a captain's pick. I would imagine Furyk is as well. I'd go with: Stricker, Furyk, Mahan, Fowler (I just don't see them leaving him off of the team).

I just don't think that Furyk should make it. I really like Furyk, but this year it just seems like every time he is in contention he chokes. I think it is in his head right now.

I just don't think that Furyk should make it. I really like Furyk, but this year it just seems like every time he is in contention he chokes. I think it is in his head right now.

He was 5-0 at the President's Cup and while he may have choked, he played himself into contention

He was 5-0 at the President's Cup and while he may have choked, he played himself into contention

This. He was great at the PC.

Honestly, the only player that really scares me in that top 8 is...Phil. I'm a bit worried about him.

He is a great player, but I am just saying that lately, when the stakes are high, he does not come thru. I hope that I am wrong and he wins the dang thing for the Americans.

Furyk is a great team player and partner. Not sure why so many think Rickie and Mahan deserve a node. They have done nothing as of late to deserve a pick

He is a great player, but I am just saying that lately, when the stakes are high, he does not come thru. I hope that I am wrong and he wins the dang thing for the Americans.

And who from that list does?
Fowler? Chokes more than he succeeds?
DJ? His middle name is choke, if its not "doesnt care".
Stricker? Really?
BVP? Never really had the opp to choke
Sneds? Starting into his stride, but some would say choked at last major.
Mahan? Did anybody see last RC?
That leaves Furyk.

It would be SHOCKING if Stricker or Furyk failed to make the team.

As stated earlier I would highly doubt if Stricker doesn't make it simply because Tiger wants him.

You make a lot of really good points JB. I just know that if Furyk is up and it's a big shot, I am going to be a little nervous. But he does have a great track record.

I would love to see Ben Crane on the team. He can putt and annoy.

You make a lot of really good points JB. I just know that if Furyk is up and it's a big shot, I am going to be a little nervous. But he does have a great track record.

Truthfully, we have been so programmed by certain greatness over the last decade or so, that we forget that all the top players out right now seem to "choke" in big spots.

Stricker
Furyk
Fowler
Sneds

I can't see DJ on that team after how poor he was in Australia.

So, what are some likely pairings for the US? I'm going to make some assumptions based off of the four I'd take as captain's picks.

Tiger/Stricker.
Keegan/Phil.
Bubba/Webb.
Zach Johnson/Mahan.
Furyk/Fowler.
Kuchar/Dufner.

I'd go with those twelve. I'd pair them up in that fashion to start. I think Tiger/Stricker is obvious. Keegan/Phil seems natural as well. I think Bubba/Webb would be a REALLY fun pairing. I think ZJ/Mahan played together a bit two years ago and did well enough. Same with Furyk/Fowler. And I think a Kuchar/Dufner pairing would be darn near unbeatable.

Why on earth would Fowler be on this team? He's in very poor form right now.

Stricker
Furyk
Fowler
Sneds

I can't see DJ on that team after how poor he was in Australia.

You've not only bumped your head but it has been replaced with a pumpkin. Fowler has no business on the team, none.

--
Tapatalk2

I'm more excited to watch Colsaerts lay waste to some people.

I don't understand the Fowler making it as well either. Seems to much potential elsewhere to risk Fowler.

I'm more excited to watch Colsaerts lay waste to some people.

He will too. Anyone who can take down Gmac has some fortitude. Sergio is going to be a buzz saw!

Why on earth would Fowler be on this team? He's in very poor form right now.

Who are the alternates?

Mahan: Lock.
Stricker: Lock also.
Furyk: Threw away 2 leads in 2 major tournaments this year.
Sneds: Didn't play well during the weekend of The Open. Missed the cut by a large margain at the PGA. Not in good form.
Dustin: Did you watch the President's Cup?
BVP: Never really been on a stage like this. Huge Wildcard.

Not trying to defend Fowler because he has played some horrendous golf in the last month and does tend to play poorly on the big stage. However, there's something about what happened 2 years ago in Wales that leads me to believe DL3 will put him on the team.

He will too. Anyone who can take down Gmac has some fortitude. Sergio is going to be a buzz saw!

I hope they put Colsaerts against Watson I would love to see Watson hitting his approach first on every hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back