Average 8i carry distance.

So you are determining your average carry distance based on one shot?
That's how I do it. That's why I average 318 with my driver.

130 to 140... I mean 200.lol

8i for me carries ~125yds on avg. Can kick it up to 140 or so if Im feeling good that day. This all might change when my new clubs arrive later this week.

Well I must need a new 8 iron because mine only works properly when I am 125 to 130 out, I did blade one 160 once but that is still not JRod long.

130-140 but easily 175 when i shoot for the cart path

I'll play along...130-140....pretty lame huh?

130-135 yards at the moment.

Posted via tapatalk

I'd say my averge 8 iron carry is around 130-140.
I know who I want to play with.

I'd say 150 (on a normal day in the UK, basically a cold day in America)
I haven't played in warm conditions (like really warm....summer in Florida warm)
I guess I'd add 10 yards MAX to my average

Just tappin away

Hit mine around 170 on average.

Tapaway!

I've actually lost a few yards on my irons this year. I have no idea why, but I have been hitting it 125-130, I remember being able to hit 140-145 last year. I really don't know what's changed, but I've finally adapted after struggling coming up short at the beginning of the season.

140-145 here.. Not long but straight!

:drinks:

IF you believe the marketing of the club manufacturers, modern irons have a lower COG causing them to hit the ball higher, the current delofting of irons allows for the same trajectory as the older irons with the higher lofts.

Thank you. I've been wondering about this lately.

180 is comfortable, but I will play it up to 185 if I want to jump on it a bit.

...and, let the scrutiny commence.

Do chunked shots count in the average? I have no idea what my average carry is. All I know is that with no wind and 140 from the center of the green, the 8 is what I use. Sometimes I'm on the green and sometimes I'm not.

Carry? 135-140, I use it from 150 and generally roll out at least 10y.
Hood it and hook it, maybe 155 carry but that isn't going anywhere predictable.

It depends on where and what temperature, these are general guidelines for me.

140 when it is less than 35 degrees
150 most winter days 40-60 degrees
165 most summer day here
160 summer days at sea level
175 at high elevations out west

wind really affects these numbers because I hit it much too high

160 with an easy swing, 170-175 with my SethO swing.

Do chunked shots count in the average? I have no idea what my average carry is. All I know is that with no wind and 140 from the center of the green, the 8 is what I use. Sometimes I'm on the green and sometimes I'm not.
I think where people say "average" they should replace that with "median". The number that half your shots are above and half your shots are below. I think your chunked or flubbed shots hurt your "average" a lot more than you purest shots help it. Median would give a more realistic number of what you are likely to hit.

Well you get that distance cause you play in Kansas and it is all flat there!!!
I'd rather play in the mountains, where there are a lot of waaay downhill shots. That would help my distance!

My 8I is my 160 club. If I'm having a good day and am really feeling good going all out into a shot, I can crank it a little more, but usually don't like to do that. I do like to choke down and lay off of irons though, so depending on conditions, I may use an 8I from 140 or 150 as well.

I start staring at the 8 iron form the 160 marker . I have to put a good swing on it , but 160 is my 8 iron yardage.

well, since my 8 iron goes a friggen mile up when i hit it well, largely depends on wind.

I work off 165-170 for mine.

Skipped off the pond using Tapatalk

180 is comfortable, but I will play it up to 185 if I want to jump on it a bit.

...and, let the scrutiny commence.

Oh no, you hit it far so you MUST be a lying Internet golfer. That's how it goes, remember? Lol. You should tone it down to like 150 to be safe.

8 iron is my 150 carry club, not much roll out, so maybe 153 total.

Just realized I have been bantering in here and not answering the question... 130-135 is my 8i

While on the course today, I embarrassingly found out I hit my 8i, hell most of my clubs, about the same distance my 15 year old daughter hits hers.

That was a little disconcerting. I need to exercise or something.

Kevin

My carry with my 8i is usually 150-155 on a good strike.

Back