Spring '09 College Golf

Cool! Maria Jose Uribe was just incredible, and clearly having a ball at the Open last year.

She is definitely . . . animated.

She, along with players like Morgan Pressel and Paula Creamer, is a member of the WGCL (Women's Golf Contortionists League). After she won the 2007 U.S. Women's Am, there was a great photo of her in GolfWeek in a hilarious position. I wish I could find it online.

This is how big the UCF Challenge is. Below is a list of the Top 50 individual golfers (GolfWeek Sagarin rankings). Those playing in the UCF Challenge are in red. Outside of the NCAAs, this is unheard of.

1 Candace Schepperle (Auburn)
2 Lizette Salas (USC)
3 Jennifer Song (USC)
4 Stephanie Kono (UCLA)

5 Whitney Neuhauser (Virginia)
6 Caroline Hedwall (Okla. St.)
7 Megan McChrystal (LSU)
8 Jane Chin (UC Irvine)
9 Laura Kueny (Mich. St.)
10 Juliana Murcia (Arizona St)

11 Stephanie Sherlock (Denver)
12 Cindy LaCrosse (Louisville)
13 Jennie Lee (Duke)
14 Tiffany Joh (UCLA)
15 Dori Carter (Ole Miss)
16 Jodi Ewart (New Mexico)
17 Amanda Blumenherst (Duke)
18 Jennie Arseneault (Virginia)
19 Glory Yang (UCLA)
20 Camilla Lennarth (Alabama)
21 Belen Mozo (USC)
22 Pernilla Lindberg (Okla. St.)
23 Maria Hernandez (Purdue)
24 Marta Silva (Georgia)
25 Sydnee Michaels (UCLA)
26 Mallory Hetzel (Georgia)
27 Kathleen Ekey (Alabama)
28 Maude Aimee Leblanc (Purdue)
29 J. Gulyamamitta (Purdue)
30 Brooke Pancake (Alabama)
31 Kirby Dreher (Kent State)
32 Jennifer Osborn (Arizona St)
33 Pia Halbig (California)
34 Natalie Sheary (Wk. Forest)
35 Jean Chua (Wk. Forest)
36 Maria Jose Uribe (UCLA)
37 Ryann O'Toole (UCLA)

38 Carolina Andrade (Georgia)
39 Cydney Clanton (Auburn )
40 Jessica Yadloczky (Florida)
41 Erica Moston (San Jose St.)
42 Therese Koelbaek (UNLV)
43 Marina Alex (Vanderbilt)
44 Nannette Hill (Wk. Forest)
45 Mari Chun (Stanford)
46 Allie White (N Carolina)
47 Calle Nielson (Virginia)
48 Caroline Masson (Okla. St.)
49 Taylore Karle (Pepperdine)
50 Nathalie Mansson (Tennessee)

And how scary is it that UCLA is so deep that they couldn't bring Tiffany Joh, the number 14 player in the country.

For anyone who cares, I just noticed that the men's "Big Ten Match Play Championship" from Coral Springs, FL (played a couple of weeks ago I believe) is on right now on the "Big Ten Network" (Channel 610 on DirecTV) and is repeated several times this week.

Well, the Texas men's and women's teams both made it to the NCAA regionals. The men are a #4 seed and will host the Austin Regional* at the University of Texas Golf Club in Austin. Stanford is the #1 seed, Florida is the #2 seed, Texas Tech is the #3 seed.

The women received an at-large berth and a #17 seed at the West Regionals hosted by Arizona State at the ASU Karsten Golf Course in Tempe.

But both the men's and women's teams played poorly in their respective Big 12 Championship. Martha Richards is rebuilding the women's team, so I can sort of understand that (although I still expected the ladies to play better - they have the talent.) But I don't know what is going on with the men. Last year's stars, Charlie Holland and Bobby Hudson, haven't played well at all this year. Charlie wasn't even on the 5-man team at the Big 12 Championhip. I'm wondering if he is struggling with an injury.

The men were the last team into Nationals out of the West last year, courtesy of a playoff. (I suspect they would have finished higher if Senior Kevin Schultz hadn't gotten food poisoning the night before the first round. Nothing like the dry heaves between shots.) Junior Lance Lopez has looked brillian at times, but has never managed to put 54 straight holes together. Sophs Charlie and Bobby - I just don't know what happened there. I'm hoping they pull it together. South African and true frosh Dylan Fritelli looks like he may be a star, but he's young. So is the rest of the men's team. They are loaded for bear next year, but man are they green this year. I'm really hoping playing at home in the Regionals will launch them into nationals with some serious confidence.

The ladies played well into the 2008 Nationals care of a home course advantage in the Regionals and the stellar play of Senior transfer Ashley Rollins. But with Rollins gone, Shannon Fish playing inconsistantly, and Nicole Vandermade just a true freshman, I'm worried about them getting run over by a plethora of top-talent teams in the West Regional.

Anyway, Women's Regionals start this Thursday, May 7-9 at Florida U., Ohio State, Arizona State, and Georgetown.

Men's Regionals are 14-16 at Columbia, Texas, Univ. of San Francisco, UCF, Western Kentucky, and Oklahoma State.

If there is a site near you, I encourage you to go watch a round or two. It's really inspiring to see these young men and women play for themselves and their team.

Here are the complete seedings for Women's Regionals (I will post the men's when it is available.)

East Regional

The East regional will be played May 7-9 at the Mark Bostick Golf Course, Gainesville, Florida, hosted by the University of Florida. Conference automatic qualifiers are indicated in parenthesis next to the institution.

Teams:
1. Virginia
2. Auburn (Southeastern Conference)
3. Alabama
4. North Carolina
5. Duke
6. Denver (Sun Belt Conference)
7. Tennessee
8. Vanderbilt
9. Georgia
10. Tulane (Conference USA)
11. Florida
12. East Carolina
13. Mississippi
14. South Carolina
15. Furman (Southern Conference)
16. Charleston
17. Florida State
18. Central Florida
19. Coastal Carolina (Big South Conference)
20. Stetson (Atlantic Sun Conference)
21. Jackson State (Southwestern Athletic Conference)

Individuals:
1. Susannah Aboff, Princeton
2. Julia Potter, Missouri
3. Jessica Hollandsworth, Maryland

Central Regional

The Central regional will be played May 7-9 at the Scarlet Golf Course, Columbus, Ohio, hosted by The Ohio State University. Conference automatic qualifiers are indicated in parenthesis next to the institution.

Teams:
1. UCLA
2. Oklahoma State (Big 12 Conference)
3. Purdue (Big Ten Conference)
4. Wake Forest (Atlantic Coast Conference)
5. Louisville (Big East Conference)
6. Kent State (Mid-American Conference)
7. Michigan State
8. Ohio State
9. Stanford
10. New Mexico (Mountain West Conference)
11. Georgia State (Colonial Athletic Association)
12. Notre Dame
13. North Carolina State
14. Washington
15. Kentucky
16. Chattanooga
17. Michigan
18. Harvard (Ivy Group)
19. Illinois State (Missouri Valley Conference)
20. Murray State (Ohio Valley Conference)
21. Fairleigh Dickinson (Northeast Conference)

Individuals:
1. Kendall Dye, Oklahoma
2. Kayla Mortellaro, Idaho
3. Sara Wikstrom, Arkansas, Little Rock

West Regional

The West regional will be played May 7-9 at the ASU Karsten Golf Course, Tempe, Arizona, hosted by Arizona State University. Conference automatic qualifiers are indicated in parenthesis next to the institution.

Teams:
1. Arizona State (Pacific-10 Conference)
2. Southern California
3. Louisiana State
4. Pepperdine
5. Arkansas
6. San Jose State (Western Athletic Conference)
7. Arizona
8. California
9. UC Irvine
10. San Francisco
11. UNLV
12. TCU
13. Texas A&M
14. Oregon
15. Long Beach State (Big West Conference)
16. Colorado
17. Texas
18. Baylor
19. Oral Roberts (The Summit League)
20. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Southland Conference)
21. Northern Arizona (Big Sky Conference)

Individuals:
1. Miki Ueoka, Santa Clara
2. Chelsea Stelzmiller, UC Davis
3. Alice Kim, UC Davis

* I think this is a new system for the men. Last year there was just an East, Central, and West Regional.

Men's Regionals

Men's Regionals

Men's Regionals

SOUTHEAST
Course: Red Tail Golf Club, Sorrento, Fla.

TEAMS
1. (1) Georgia – SEC champion
2. (14) Indiana
3. (10) South Carolina
4. (17) Central Florida – Conference USA champion
5. (26) Florida State
6. (36) Arizona
7. (33) Augusta State
8. (42) Kentucky
9. (49) Georgia Southern
10. (60) Georgia State
11. (59) Iowa
12. (72) Charlotte – Atlantic 10 champion
13. (118) Campbell – Atlantic Sun champion
14. (213) Loyola (Md.) – Metro Atlantic Athletic champion
INDIVIDUALS
1. (61) Zack Sucher, UAB
2. (150) Marc-Etienne Bussierres, South Alabama
3. (183) Josh Brock, UNC Wilmington
4. (259) Bill Jones III, Mercer
5. (209) Kelly McHugh, Florida Atlantic

SOUTH CENTRAL
Course: Karsten Creek Golf Club, Stillwater, Okla.

TEAMS
1. (2) Oklahoma State – Big 12 Conference
2. (9) Arkansas
3. (20 TCU – Mountain West champion
4. (16) LSU
5. (30) Chattanooga – Southern champion
6. (38) Pepperdine
7. (41) Michigan State
8. (47) Baylor
9. (57) Northwestern
10. (65) Tulsa
11. (68) Denver
12. (88) Wichita State – Missouri Valley champion
13. (143) Oral Roberts – Summit League champion
INDIVIDUALS
1. (120) Trent Peterson, South Dakota State
2. (142) Peter Malnati, Missouri
3. (172) Tom Whitney, Air Force
4. (160) Kelly Kraft, SMU
5. (225) Eric Onesi, Old Dominion
6. (247) Chris Ross, Eastern Michigan
7. (257) Roger Sloan, UTEP
8. (347) Nate Page, Southern Utah
9. (249) Devin Carrey, Louisiana-Lafayette
10. (268) James Kwon, SMU

WEST
Course: Lake Merced Golf Club, Daly City, Calif.

TEAMS
1. (3) Southern California
2. (13) Texas A&M
3. (15) Arizona State
4. (22) San Diego State
5. (31) UC Davis – Big West champion
6. (35) Oregon
7. (37) New Mexico
8. (39) Colorado
9. (55) UC Irvine
10. (54) Kansas State
11. (66) Oregon State
12. (69) San Diego
13. (110) San Francisco – West Coast champion
INDIVIDUALS
1. (97) Grant Doverspike, Fresno State
2. (163) Brady Johnson, Brigham Young
3. (194) Nick Delio, Cal State Northridge
4. (226) Scott Smith, Nevada
5. (123) Geoff Gonzalez, Cal Poly
6. (213) Robbie Fillmore, Brigham Young
7. (274) Mark Hubbard, San Jose State
8. (253) Kevin Tucker, Washington State
9. (222) Bhavik Patel, Fresno State
10. (368) Greg Moss, Loyola Marymount

CENTRAL
Course: The Club at Olde Stone, Bowling Green, Ky.

TEAMS
1. (4) Washington – Pac-10 champion
2. (7) Georgia Tech – ACC champion
3. (23) N.C. State
4. (18) UCLA
5. (27) Mississippi
6. (40) East Tennessee State
7. (44) Duke
8. (43) Louisville – Big East champion
9. (50) Ohio State
10. (45) Vanderbilt
11. (70) Middle Tennessee State – Sun Belt champion
12. (101) Austin Peay State – Ohio Valley champion
13. (179) Cleveland State – Horizon League champion
14. (253) Bucknell – Patriot League champion
INDIVIDUALS
1. (10) Mike Van Sickle, Marquette
2. (115) Sebastian MacLean, Xavier
3. (228) Trey Bowling, Eastern Kentucky
4. (271) Tyler Duncan, Purdue
5. (NR) John Montgomery, Alabama State

SOUTHWEST
Course: University of Texas Golf Club, Austin, Texas

TEAMS
1. (5) Stanford
2. (8) Florida
3. (19) Texas Tech
4. (25) Texas
5. (21) UNLV
6. (32) California
7. (34) Lamar – Southland champion
8. (48) Michigan
9. (53) Texas-Arlington
10. (61) Virginia Tech
11. (58) Mississippi State
12. (82) New Mexico State – Western Athletic champion
13. (252) Jackson State – Southwestern Athletic champion
INDIVIDUALS
1. (130) Glenn Northcutt, Auburn
2. (170) Ken Looper, New Orleans
3. (266) Cole Moreland, Auburn
4. (321) Adam Cornelson, New Orleans
5. (278) Cedric Scotto, Southeastern Louisiana
6. (162) Jeff Gerlich, Texas State
7. (258) Matthew Carvell, Southeastern Louisiana
8. (181) Corey Roberson, Texas State
9. (221) Fergal Rafferty, Sam Houston
10. (551) Gonzalo Berlin, Jacksonville State

NORTHEAST
Course: Galloway (N.J.) National Golf Club

TEAMS
1. (6) Clemson
2. (11) Alabama
3. (12) Illinois – Big Ten champion
4. (24) Tennessee
5. (28) Wake Forest
6. (29) Colorado State
7. (51) Kent State – Mid-American champion
8. (46) Coastal Carolina – Big South champion
9. (52) Virginia
10. (56) Penn State
11. (64) Minnesota
12. (63) VCU – Colonial Athletic champion
13. (202) Columbia – Ivy League champion
14. (203) Sacred Heart – Northeast champion
INDIVIDUALS
1. (79) Kevin O’Connell, North Carolina
2. (94) Dan Woltman, Wisconsin
3. (159) Robert Karlsson, Liberty
4. (728) Peter Williamson, Dartmouth
5. (1,061) Eric Hawerchuk, Central Connecticut

I didn't know Loyola had a team, I saw UC Irvines team practicing the other day, they looked good....well good compared to what I normally see which isn't saying much.

Thanks for the good info, Harry. I really don't follow college golf (aside from making sure the Wake Forest women's team is in the mix)--what's the significance of the individuals listed?

Thanks for the good info, Harry. I really don't follow college golf (aside from making sure the Wake Forest women's team is in the mix)--what's the significance of the individuals listed?

I can't remember the selection process, but the individuals are top finishers or ranked players whose teams/schools did not qualify. They compete as individuals only, and not as part of the team competition. So, they can still receive medalist honors if they win (just as the individual players on a team can.)

That makes sense. With luck, I'll know a lot more about all this in a decade or so!

I'm right behind you on that CfC!

I'm right behind you on that CfC!

Let's see--you're targeting 2030, aren't you? Well, your daughter may play some tourneys as an amateur, so it could be before then. And we'll be in wheelchairs or something...

Let's see--you're targeting 2030, aren't you? Well, your daughter may play some tourneys as an amateur, so it could be before then. And we'll be in wheelchairs or something...

2012 for me, either at Stanford or Oregon :D

Stanford!!!!

Hey, Casey Martin is building a strong program at Oregon. And if you want to stay in the PNW, don't count out U-Dub: PAC-10 Champs, #1 seed in the Regionals, and #4 in the country (GolfWeek/Sagarin)

Are you AJGA or GolfWeek ranked?

Hey, Casey Martin is building a strong program at Oregon. And if you want to stay in the PNW, don't count out U-Dub: PAC-10 Champs, #1 seed in the Regionals, and #4 in the country (GolfWeek/Sagarin)

Are you AJGA or GolfWeek ranked?

Casey Martin is a great guy, I've met him before, great coach and knows the game and the swing well. I'm definitely looking at UW, well actually I'd be happy with going to ANY school in the PAC-10 except WSU, they are terrible.

No I am not AJGA or GolfWeek ranked, but will be soon.

No I am not AJGA or GolfWeek ranked, but will be soon.

I take it that you haven't competed in the minimum number of sanctioned tournaments yet?

I take it that you haven't competed in the minimum number of sanctioned tournaments yet?

Harry, you forget I'm in ALASKA! We barely have USGA Qualifiers.

Harry, you forget I'm in ALASKA! We barely have USGA Qualifiers.

I didn't forget, but that's why I thought you hadn't completed the minimum number of tournaments (not that I know what that number is.)

Are you considering any other (non-PAC10) schools?

I didn't forget, but that's why I thought you hadn't completed the minimum number of tournaments (not that I know what that number is.)

Are you considering any other (non-PAC10) schools?

There aren't any tournaments here that qualify for AJGA and/or GolfWeek rankings. And I'm considering just about any school that will give me a spot on their team, but I don't want to go too far East.

I wouldn't mind going to Oklahoma State, or Oklahoma.

I won't go into a lengthy discussion, because I'd just be paraphrasing Golfweek.com's coverage, but in the West Regionals, Arizona State (#1 seed) is in first place by 15 shots. Now, in a team event where 4 out of 5 team member's scores are counted, 15 shots is not the same landslide it is in an individual event, but it's still pretty impressive in the NCAA Regionals. (It is ASU's home course though, so they do have an advantage.)

3 team are tied for second in the West: Arizona (#7), Texas A&M (#13), and my Texas Longhorn ladies (#17 seed). All at even par.

The temperature was over 100* with no wind and it looks like the Texas and Arizona teams may have had a heat advantage. I hope my girls can hang on for another trip to nationals.

Amanda Blumerhurst continues to have a terrible year as a senior at Duke. She is +7 (T67 - worst of the Duke players) and Duke is T10 at the East Regionals, 15 shots behind leader East Carolina.

EDIT for Claire: Wake Forest is in 5th place in the Central Regionals, 14 shots behind the UCLA team, and Cheyenne Woods shot a 6-over 78 (T58). Maria Jose Uribe is T1 at -3.

Thanks for the special update, Harry!

The top 8 teams out of each Region advanced.

In the West, my 17th seeded Texas Longhorn ladies tied for fourth. FOURTH. And will be advancing to Nationals for the second consecutive year under second-year head coach Martha Richards.

Longhornlogo-1.jpg
hookem.gif

Full list of teams advancing to Women's Nationals:

Central Regional

1 UCLA
2 Purdue
3 Wake Forest
4 Oklahoma State
5 Michigan State
6 New Mexico
7 Ohio State
8 UT Chattanooga

Individual Medalist: Maria Jose Uribe (UCLA)

East Regional
1 Denver, Univ. of
2 Alabama, U. of
3 Tennessee
4 Virginia
5 Tulane University
T6 Duke
T6 North Carolina
8 Georgia

Individual Medalist: Dawn Shockley (Denver)

West Regional
1 Arizona State
2 Southern California
3 LSU
T4 TCU
T4 UC Irvine
T4 Texas
7 Arizona
8 Pepperdine

Individual Medalist: Carlota Ciganda (Arizona State)

Claire, Cheyenne Woods finished T16 in the Central Regional.

Interesting note: The second year coach of the Virginia Cavaliers women's golf team (which finished 4th in the East Regional) is Kim Lewellen, former coach of the East Carolina University Pirates women's golf team and of Big Break V and VII fame. Lewellen was named ACC coach of the year in her first season when she took her team to a 12th place finish at Nationals - the best in school history.

Oh, and if anyone knows, could someone explain to me how Denver University keeps putting together such a strong women's golf team? They won the East Regional, and they landed 2006 U.S. Amateur Kimberly Kim.

Usually "snow" schools don't put together quality golf teams (and I don't recall the D.U. men doing anything.)

It's a good academic school, but not in the same realm as Duke, UNC, etc. And if it's not academic, you would think it's golf - but there is snow on the ground during a significant portion of the school year.

What is the appeal? Facilities?

Oh, and if anyone knows, could someone explain to me how Denver University keeps putting together such a strong women's golf team? They won the East Regional, and they landed 2006 U.S. Amateur Kimberly Kim.

Usually "snow" schools don't put together quality golf teams (and I don't recall the D.U. men doing anything.)

It's a good academic school, but not in the same realm as Duke, UNC, etc. And if it's not academic, you would think it's golf - but there is snow on the ground during a significant portion of the school year.

What is the appeal? Facilities?

And what are they doing in the East Division, anyway?

Also, hooray for Maria Jose Uribe. She's going to be a great asset to the LPGA.

I really appreciate all the updates, Harry.

Back