Playing the forward tees

jacob1

Needs more cow bell
Reaction score
Handicap
With the tee it forward deal and the thread on distance do any of you guys actually play forwad tees?I'm really wanting to shoot in the 80's. I've been playing now for about a year and usually score in the mid 90's. I was think on starting to play the forward tees until I consistently score in the mid 80's. Then start backing up a tee box unroll I see the same score. Thoughts?

I believe you mean "Forward Tees".

My foursome and I discussed it the other day, actually. Just to change things up and play different shots for a change. I saw the comment in the recent distance thread, and thought it may be something I try to do, to change things up and maybe put myself in a different mental state. I would love to break 80, even if it was from the ladies tees, because it might be the shot in the arm that I need. I have been struggling all summer long, mostly with the driver, and by playing the ladies tees, I could only hit driver off of the two par 5's, and could actually opt for a Mashie three wood or 2 hybrid, to be honest.

I believe you mean "Forward Tees".
Yes!! I couldn't change the title. Feel free to change that if you want.

Jacob, where do you usually play from now?

I usually play the whites. Reds are forward and blues are the tips.

Does your driver give you fits, or your 2nd shots?

I thnk you should regulate you expectations and get some lessons. I mean this in the nicest way. Consistent 90s is good afford a year. But sometimes moving up brings more trouble into play. I would work in the swing and game, stay on the whites.

I play golds. But my game doesn't really get worse playing from the whites or blues. I just play there because that's where leagues play.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Does your driver give you fits, or your 2nd shots?
Depends on the day.. Haha.. My driver is not the most accurate club in the bag though. But we have a 200+ par 3 that is almost impossible for me.

I thnk you should regulate you expectations and get some lessons. I mean this in the nicest way. Consistent 90s is good afford a year. But sometimes moving up brings more trouble into play. I would work in the swing and game, stay on the whites.
I agree completely.. I have VERY high expectations out of myself with everything I do. Golf is no different.

I'll look at the slope and try to keep it in the low 120's and also check out the par 3's. If they are all over 200 yards forget it, i'm moving up a set of tees to give myself a chance on those 4 holes.

Depends on the day.. Haha.. My driver is not the most accurate club in the bag though. But we have a 200+ par 3 that is almost impossible for me.

I would play that one from the Reds.

To an extent I think Freddie is right with lessons and practice, but If you decide that you aren't ever gonna play driver off the tee or you would like to have shorter approaches then why not.

I paired up with a guy and walked today and he played from the whites which is like 5800 or 6000. I had a chance to hit every par 5 in 2 with a 5 wood or slightly less and had a lot 9 irons or less into greens on the par 4s. I hit every green on the par 3's, don't know if I have ever done that before. I wouldn't do it every time because I would like to practice with some mid irons on the course but it was enjoyable.

As far as lessons go I do need to take more. Living where I do now I'm 45 mins. Away from a golf course with a pro. I've taken lessons there before but it's kinda hard to get there regularly. But I do want and need more lessons.

I've been playing for almost two years now and I play the whites. I just don't see how I can improve by going forward to the reds/ladies tees, but that's a personal thing. I haven't had any lessons (yet), but info from this site has helped me improve quite a bit.

They have been called ladies' or women's tees for decades. Some courses also have junior tees. Why the need to go PC and call them forward tees now?

Is it ok for men to use women's balls and equipment, too?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

They have been called ladies' or women's tees for decades. Some courses also have junior tees. Why the need to go PC and call them forward tees now?

Is it ok for men to use women's balls and equipment, too?
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

What does this have to do with the substance of the thread? He's asking about playing it forward, whether you want to call them the forward tees, women's tees, ladies' tees, reds, or what have you....

I laughed...

I look for the tees that get the course to around 6200-6500 yards and play from there, unless I am playing a practice round with my buddy whom I caddy for in his NCGA and USGA scratch events. Then I have to play the 7000+ yard tees. Challenging but fun.

I don't have much fun playing under courses 6000 yards unless it's a real shotmaking course that challenges your accuracy.

Thanks Smalls I needed that. I haven't had a good laugh since MC 2.0

On a serious note Jacob stay on the whites and work on your Hybrids they land so soft on the par tree's.

I'm slightly new to this from a posting sense... I read alot on here but have rarely posted for some reason...... seeing I like this topic I figured this would be the best place to start being active....so here it goes....

Back when I played in college the coach always made up play from the forward most tee to qualify for the up coming tournament... that always made us go after birdies and play aggresively... cause you couldn't just lay back cause you knew everyone was having birdie oppurtunities on every hole due to playing from those tees... I feel like that helped my game cause playing from those upward tees put me in situations and made me produce shots and encounter areas of the golf course I haven't played from when playing from my normal tee position.... I had to be creative with shots and really give me more shots that I could produce from my bag by doing this.... I really believe playing from the upward tees helped my physical and mental game.... and I will still from this day ever once in awhile when out practicing I will play a round from those tees.....

Good points Apco.

Funny post from the Angry Mod.

I've had starters ask my handicap and tell me what tees I should be playing. I think a lot of the slow play issues come from players hitting from the wrong tees. Their egos are writing checks their games can't cash.

Since I am looking at joining a private club, in order to keep the game interesting round after round, I am planning on playing all of the different tees, just to have a different look at the course, sometimes, you will find something out about a course, perhaps a better landing point, just by playing a different tee. I feel no shame in playing the reds. I've never shot even from the reds, so there's really no reason to feel shame in playing them. Tee it forward is based mainly on your distances vs. average yardage of the course, not much handicap into account, so it's all about giving a manageable approach shot, not saying your XXX level of player. I personally like the challenge of having different approach shots and distances, so I like playing any tees, typically if I'm paired up with someone else, I will play what they play to try and speed up the round a touch. I typically play the whites or blues at my course, whites are middle and blues are tips. They are both a challenge, and really don't add too much distance to the course in my mind.

Dan

Back