2012 Morgan Cup Recap Thread

My bag is cleaned up and sitting in my man cave, along with the glove I wore and towel I used. I'm not saying I won't ever use it, but it's something I'd like to keep as a memory piece. It looks really cool down there too.

I still have almost my entire bag in play.

The putter is something I want to keep in top shape, though I'll still get it out here and there. It's going to be my son's and I want it to stay as-is if I can help it.

Honestly, I've tried to bring in some other clubs just for the sake of doing it, but I seem to get better results from the MC bag. It's hard for me to play a one-company bag as an equipment reviewer. I do want to make sure I'm seen as unbiased, but as of now, most of my MC bag is what works for me better than the other clubs I have tried in the last few weeks.

This is really cool. Something for your son that will have memories that you can talk about forever. It seems everyone has some cool plans for their stuff. I really like hearing this stuff

I have another question for the MCers.

After picking your bags, playing them through the prep and event, was there any choice that you made that you regret? Say going 52-56-60 then realizing 50-54-58 wouldve worked a little better, or getting a 3 wood instead of a 4wood or anything like that?

I'm very happy with my bag but my 1 possibility of regret might be getting the Fit 3W over the Black 3W. Still not sure as sometimes I crush the Fit 3W and sometimes I struggle a little

I'm very happy with my bag but my 1 possibility of regret might be getting the Fit 3W over the Black 3W. Still not sure as sometimes I crush the Fit 3W and sometimes I struggle a little
Chunky,

Why do you think the black would be better for you?

I know some have touched on it but when did the gravity of the event set in for everyone? Was it the day you were chosen? When the equipment and heat arrived? Touch down in MB? Media day? It must have been different for everyone.

The day I was asked. I knew from last year what a huge responsibility it was and that is why I couldn't give an answer right away. There was absolutely no way I could commit to such an undertaking without talking to my wife about it. She told me right away that I HAD to do it, and it didn't make it any easier! I was still nervous when I accepted it. I was a wreck for a few days after that because it wasn't announced right away that there would be a staff team.

What made it real was when the Razr staff bag arrived.

This is similar to a question I asked on media day. I'd like to get a look into some off the course stuff, and potentially tap into some fond memories.

Coming into an event where you will not only be playing competitive golf, but also having to do a fair amount of work on camera can be anxiety inducing for a lot of people. I won't lie ... I tend to be shy at first, and could see myself having some stress in the days leading up to an event like this.

Can you relate a story, a moment, or just something simple like a pat on the back from some hulking bald guy that put your nerves at ease?

Can you relate a story, a moment, or just something simple like a pat on the back from some hulking bald guy that put your nerves at ease?

Interstingly, mine was a from a big, bald guy. Jake and I talked quite a bit before our Saturday am round regarding our strategy and he made me feel like I was going to go out and play well, which I did. I really believed that I'd hit every fairway off the tee, and I hit most of them that day.

I have another question for the MCers.

After picking your bags, playing them through the prep and event, was there any choice that you made that you regret? Say going 52-56-60 then realizing 50-54-58 wouldve worked a little better, or getting a 3 wood instead of a 4wood or anything like that?

I love all these questions that are being asked, and I am enjoying answering them. When I see them I am answering before I see any other answers because I don't want to be influenced! (It was easy with the first tow because I was the only one online to answer!)
I had some regret of not getting a 50* wedge to go with the 54 and 58 after playing with them a few rounds and realizing how good they were. I asked my fitter if I should request it when I turned in my iron choice and he wanted me to go with the gap wedge that came with the set. The logic being that I would hit more full shots with it and to have the perimeter weighting and forgiveness would be a plus. And he was right. I don't use my 5 wood as much as I used it in my previous setup; I wonder if another hybrid would have been a better choice.

Question for the MC'ers: Do you still plan on playing the irons/woods/wedges/putter that you used for the MC?

Probably going to play everything the same except the F3, and will add a hybrid in its place. Other than that I will be gaming these until I am no longer allowed to do so.

This is similar to a question I asked on media day. I'd like to get a look into some off the course stuff, and potentially tap into some fond memories.

Coming into an event where you will not only be playing competitive golf, but also having to do a fair amount of work on camera can be anxiety inducing for a lot of people. I won't lie ... I tend to be shy at first, and could see myself having some stress in the days leading up to an event like this.

For me, it came from Morgan. I was really nervous about shooting my promos. Not because I didn't know my equipment, but just standing there talking to the camera with everyone around was a bit nerve racking for me. I do not like public speaking, it is just something that makes me nervous, but Morgan really put me at ease. She was doing the filming for my promos and...I don't know how to put it into words, she just made me feel relaxed and other than a couple of fumbles over words where we both laughed, I got through them, and I think they came out pretty good. At least I hope they did. I will see them when you see them.

I don't know if this was asked, but were there any MCers who went with irons that were a grade above what they were used to? IE, went with Players Irons instead of GIs. Did those irons help or hurt performance in the competition?

I didn't go out of my comfort zone. Although if the fitter had recommended the muscle backs, I would have played them. I figured he would get me into the setup that was right for me. I said it before but I just knew I would get probably the XF irons, and maybe instead the HL set. But the X is what I hit best.

For me it was my practice round with One-T. He really showed Wicked Cool and myself the ropes and was able to answer a ton of questions about what was going to go down. Matching up against TC and Tmex was huge as well because they have a very calming effect and are very supportive.

What is everyone plans for those staff bags? I think I would have a tough time keeping them in play, do you guys plan on using them for club storage or something or keeping them on the course?

I have said many times that I would keep playing it. But now I'm not so sure. I am taking it up top Des Moines but those may be the last rounds I play with it. I want to get another staff bag, but a smaller one. On our carts, the strap only goes a couple inches past the buckle (is that what it's called?) and I hate that I am always smashing it to make it fit. I want another Callaway bag for sure, but with a smaller top.

I'm one of the shyest people you will ever meet and I never once felt a bit anxious. Nervous on the tee box, yes, but in front of the camera I was fine. Morgan was such a cool customer to work with and our Cleveland rep filled us in on good words and phrases to use. Even still I managed to work in a few "Cleveland Glof" during my many many takes. Sorry GG!

Question for the MC'ers: Do you still plan on playing the irons/woods/wedges/putter that you used for the MC?

It's not even a hard choice. Definitely. These are the best clubs I have ever hit! With the exception of the 5 wood (not for performance, but the lack of use it gets) I am completely satisfied with everything. I am considering another hybrid that might get more use.

It's not even a hard choice. Definitely. These are the best clubs I have ever hit! With the exception of the 5 wood (not for performance, but the lack of use it gets) I am completely satisfied with everything. I am considering another hybrid that might get more use.

You thinking another Razr X Hybo?

What is everyone plans for those staff bags? I think I would have a tough time keeping them in play, do you guys plan on using them for club storage or something or keeping them on the course?

I just took mine out of play last weekend. I might go back to it, but I also want to keep it looking nice. Not really sure at this point what I am going to do

I just took mine out of play last weekend. I might go back to it, but I also want to keep it looking nice. Not really sure at this point what I am going to do

Hammer it dude. You hit it well from what I saw in our 9 hole round after Media Day.

I really don't have a moment like that. I really was not that nervous about the golf so my nerves were not needed to be put at ease.

The person who helped me the most off the course is going to be an awesome captain for Team Paradise next year. I honestly don't remember what he said exactly, but going into singles day against the awesomeness that was One-T and arydolphin he basically told me to just go play and have fun. I got my butt whipped by these guys but I had more fun with the two of them than a person deserves.

A side props to both Jarret and Amol. I couldn't have played with two nicer guys and they kept the mood mellow and relaxed the whole time.

You thinking another Razr X Hybo?

I think so. I really like them!

One of the club surprises for me was that I didn't get a 6 hybrid. I hit the 6 iron better.

I think so. I really like them!

One of the club surprises for me was that I didn't get a 6 hybrid. I hit the 6 iron better.

I think you undervalue you iron game if you think you needed a 6h. You strike your irons pretty darn well IMO.

Back