Is distance really that important?

What if you saw someone on an off day though? I mean I think I can play from just about anywhere, and sure I have my comfort zone as I am not a real long hitter, but I have certainly been known to hit a fat shot or top a ball every now and then.

Agree JB if it was just one or 2 shots... but when you see this on 3 or 4 holes, you just know...

I think distance is important of course. I don't think its everything, but if I'm longer with every club, that means I can hit less club off each shot bringing less trouble into play on each shot.

If I hit 3 hybrid off the tee, because I'm long enough, and you have to hit driver, then advantage me. Then for the second shot from say 150 yards out, if I'm hitting 9 iron and your hitting 7 then advantage me again.

Its not everything but it sure can be an advantage.

Agree JB if it was just one or 2 shots... but when you see this on 3 or 4 holes, you just know...

Man, am I glad you did not see me after the rain delay at the Morgan Cup then. 5 straight holes of horrendous golf. You might have told me I was not good enough...:act-up:

I think distance is important of course. I don't think its everything, but if I'm longer with every club, that means I can hit less club off each shot bringing less trouble into play on each shot.

If I hit 3 hybrid off the tee, because I'm long enough, and you have to hit driver, then advantage me. Then for the second shot from say 150 yards out, if I'm hitting 9 iron and your hitting 7 then advantage me again.

Its not everything but it sure can be an advantage.

I agree 100%. While length doesn't mean a better golfer, it does give that golfer better scoring opportunities.

I think all of this comes from the misnomer that the forward tees are the ladies tees. Its the same reason you see every golfer that is swinging out of his shoes have a stiff or x stiff shaft, 8 degree and 9 degree heads, etc.

I got laughed at when I played the other day with my 12 degree driver. I outdrove all 3 guys and they were honest and said "I couldnt play with one".

I am playing an 11* driver with a stiff shaft and I noticed a great difference in distance-before I had a regular shaft and 9 degree-not good for me but I was fitted for the stiff shaft I have

Chicks dig the long ball! :)

But seriously, my dad and I have this discussion quite often. He thinks I should hit more irons off the tees, because I am fairly long. I am an average iron player, which causes 2 problems with this logic. I can (and most of the time will) miss a couple of fairways with my hybrid or 4 iron if I use them all day. Nothing worse than missing a fairway with an iron AND being 210 from the hole in the rough. If I use driver all day, I may miss 4-5 depending on the course, but can also only miss 1 or 2. Gaining the 2 fairways with irons, yet losing 50-70+ yards on every hole isn't a good trade for me. Remember I am an average iron player, so if I am 190 out on a bunch of holes due to using irons off the tee, I am going to miss a bunch of greens anyways. If I am 120-140 out on 400+ yard par 4's with driver, even in the rough, I have a better chance of hitting the green from there than from 185-200 in the fairway. It's a huge difference for me to hit 8 or 9 iron in as opposed to 4 or 5 iron to a green. All in all, as long as I am keeping driver in play even in the rough, (which I almost always do), I have a better chance of scoring than I would if I hit every fairway with an iron. If I didn't have my length, I don't think I would be as good, so to me, it is important.

There is no trading practice time, and for me to get better with my long irons I would need to spend a lot of time on it, which I just don't have right now with work and other commitments. I have time to play right now, which I love to do, so practice time suffers. Because of this, I play to my 1 of my above average strengths, which is length. It all depends on how you use it, but it sure makes the game easier.

On the other hand, my buddy and teaching pro Mike, is no longer than 260 off the tee with his driver on most days, but is deadly with his long irons. He routinely hits it close with 4 and 5 irons, and generally shoots in the 60's, (that's why he is a pro). So for him, length means very little in general terms. He does say that one single biggest reason he couldn't stay on any tours was his length. He is above average in most phases, but with the game evolving over the last 15 years to much longer tracks, he just couldn't hang with guys hitting it 330 off the tee and having 9 irons in while he had 5 iron.

While I wont get into whether it is or isnt, this argument I am not sure works. Because lets say you are also 30 yards further than me (im not a long hitter). Yet my handicap is still lower and most of the time, I would probably win.

And that's what I would expect. I suppose to phrase it better, distance in and of itself doesn't magically make a better golfer, but among golfers of comparable skill levels the longer hitter tends to have an advantage. I know that's hard to quantify, but if 2 golfers spray 5i with about the same dispersion, the longer hitter with shorter approaches is going to usually have a lower handicap...which generally is taken as a measure of skill.

Gawd, circular reasoning makes my head hurt. How about uncontrolled distance is no help, but the more playable distance you have, the better an individual is likely to score?

Man, am I glad you did not see me after the rain delay at the Morgan Cup then. 5 straight holes of horrendous golf. You might have told me I was not good enough...:act-up:

A soaked golf course may have had just a bit to do with that!

Well, I just can usually tell when a good player is struggling and when a player should never be back there! But yea, you are right, not always cut & dried!

I've mentioned in several of these threads that it's always the long guys who say distance doesn't matter.

But have you ever heard one of them say "I wish I only hit it 230. I hate hitting it 280 all the time"?

I will focus on distance once I keep track of my score by how far I hit each tee shot.

I think these are good to play by. I average around 250ish and try to play feel comfortable playing the distances recommended. I will play the tips sometimes on a day by myself to test my game. Not on the norm.

Driver DistanceRecommended 18-Hole Yardages
2756,700-6,900
2506,200-6,400
2255,800-6,000
2005,200-5,400
1754,400-4,600
1503,500-3,700
1252,800-3,000
1002,100-2,300

I think this post pretty much sums up why people crave distance.

The tee it forward program is trying to encourage people to play a yardage that allows them to hit driver off the tee and have a wedge / 9 iron into the green. Why? Because the game is easier with shorter clubs. Unfortunately, most people don't want to play the Senior Tees even though they are going to be hitting a 5 or 6 iron into most greens otherwise.

I am fairly long off the tee but still have a high handicap. When I do move up, my scores improve dramatically. My handicap is established off the Men's Tees, but my club has everyone rated with a 10 or worst handicap playing the senior tees in our tournaments. As a result, I typically shoot well below my handicap and get a lot of sideways glances.

Distance is important to me but not as much as accuracy. Sure I love to be able to bomb them out there but if there is no control and the ball is not in Play, it isn't worth a nickle. My woods are
my distance clubs and irons are the scalpels on course. I want to be able to set up scoring situations off the tee on longer holes, to dO that I need accuracy too. It does matter but it coincides withany other facets.

Distance is important especially when you don't have it. Having to hit long irons into greens instead of short irons puts a lot of pressure on the rest of your game. That being said, I will take accuracy over distance to a degree

To me, the graph is off by 25 yards. I hit my driver about 225 normally, and I really like playing courses in the 6,200 to 6,400 range. I'm 53 years old, and maybe a club shorter than a lot of folks.

Keeping the ball in the fairway is the most important thing, and I find myself hitting long irons off the tee more frequently than I ever have before. Yay R11 4 iron with KBS shafts!
If I can have a 7-9 iron into greens, then I feel I'm doing alright out there. I'd actually rather have a full 7 or 8 iron than I would a half or 3/4 wedge shot, because my touch with the less than full shots isn't as reliable.

Personally, I think distance is pretty dang important. Take myself for example, I've had some shoulder problems the past 2 - 3 seasons that have robbed me of some distance. Because of shoulder problems, I've spent more time making easy swings and working on my short game. Because of this, my scoring average has stayed about the same despite losing 30 - 50 yards on my drives and 15 or so yards with my irons.
Where I struggle the most now is on the Par 3's. The ones at my home course play anywhere from 125 to 175. Going from an 7, 8 or 9 iron to a 5 or 6 iron makes a huge difference for me. Especially since I really struggle with irons longer than my 7.
Hopefully some time in the gym to get some strength back in my shoulders, combined with some range time will help this and 2013 will prove to be a good year in golf for me.

I'm getting one thing out of this thread and it's that some of us need to work on our mid-game. It seems that a lot of us want to hit it farther in order to avoid having to hit clubs we aren't as accurate with.

I'm getting one thing out of this thread and it's that some of us need to work on our mid-game. It seems that a lot of us want to hit it farther in order to avoid having to hit clubs we aren't as accurate with.

It doesn't matter how good you are with your 3, 4, 5 irons, the 8, 9, and wedges are always going to be easier to hit and give you a better scoring opportunity.

It doesn't matter how good you are with your 3, 4, 5 irons, the 8, 9, and wedges are always going to be easier to hit and give you a better scoring opportunity.

Sure it matters. If I was better with my fairways and long irons I would hit more greens with them, resulting in better scores. So if a person is a short driver and is at their limit for distance, their mid-game is going to have to take up the slack for them to be their best.

In order to be great at the game, you need to be good at everything. To be good at the game, you need to be good at most things. To be fair at the game, you need to be good at some things. And to be bad at the game, you just need to do what I do.

I disagree with this, and I know I wasnt there, but Ill still disagree anyways. You played from tees that were undoubtedly too long for you. That will lead to plenty of missed greens, by large margins, and that helps blame the short game. Too much stress on your short game shows the weakpoints in your overall game. Id blame playing the wrong tees for the lost strokes.

Oh I agree they were the wrong tees for me. 7400 yards is stupidly long. I obviously lost some strokes due to my long game, but I actually hit a normal # of GIRs for me. 1 less than my average in fact. FWIW, I actually don't think I played that badly there. I shot 4 strokes over my average.

Sure it matters. If I was better with my fairways and long irons I would hit more greens with them, resulting in better scores. So if a person is a short driver and is at their limit for distance, their mid-game is going to have to take up the slack for them to be their best.

In order to be great at the game, you need to be good at everything. To be good at the game, you need to be good at most things. To be fair at the game, you need to be good at some things. And to be bad at the game, you just need to do what I do.

You do have to be good at everything, but there is a point where being good isn't good enough if distance is an issue.

Look at is this way: Let's pretend that you have a 10% ratio of accuracy to the distance you hit the ball. My guess is that none of us really have that kind of ability, since a study Pelz did showed professionals were seeing about a 7% ratio for all full swings.

Your distance from the hole would something like this.

120 yards - average of around 12 yards (36 feet)

160 yards - average of around 16 yards (48 feet)

200 yards - average of around 20 yards (60 feet)

Again, that's assuming you are a very good golfer. You still see more dispersion in longer clubs and that's not really going to change. Bump that percentage up to 20% and you really see why the shorter club becomes more important.

I had a 323 yard drive on a 400 yard par 4 yesterday. Got a pretty good kick off a downslope. From there I flubbed a wedge, then left myself a 20 foot par putt, which I blew 7 feet by and missed the comebacker.

There are more important things than distance.

Obviously it's not the only thing, and I don't think I've said it was the most important thing. Still, it is an advantage. If it wasn't, we could all just play the same tee box. Hell, I think it was Tom Watson has basically said that he can't really contend in the Masters because it plays too long for him.

Hawk Im def not arguing with anything you said, I just stated in general. There are times when distance makes the game more difficult, rather than easier.
Obviously it's not the only thing, and I don't think I've said it was the most important thing. Still, it is an advantage. If it wasn't, we could all just play the same tee box. Hell, I think it was Tom Watson has basically said that he can't really contend in the Masters because it plays too long for him.

I had a 323 yard drive on a 400 yard par 4 yesterday. Got a pretty good kick off a downslope. From there I flubbed a wedge, then left myself a 20 foot par putt, which I blew 7 feet by and missed the comebacker.

There are more important things than distance.

Better to flub a wedge from 77 yards than to flub a 3 iron from 190. Think about how much worse your score would have been then.

No doubt. I've seen it in person playing w/ Jrod. He'd take a driver every hole and end up at 70 yards almost every time, which was a bad distance for him. Of course, he could have hit 5 wood or something and been at 100 yards.

Back