Range balls vs. Game Balls

I know that some ranges use limited flight balls, and others have balls that run the gamut of compression numbers. I think that it would be rare for them to match up exactly to what you're gaming.

From what I'm told -

The distances are pretty close with wedges/short irons, but the disparity grows in the longer clubs. Our range balls are brand new this year from Srixon and the Cleveland rep told me that they would be in the area of 10% shorter off the driver.

At my old home course you'd have 15 different brands/types of ball in a bucket of 30 so it was always tough to get a realistic read on exact numbers. I think that's always going to be the case unless your practicing with a new version of the ball you game.

I use the range to practice solid contact. Best way to dial distance for me is on the course. Know the distance a shot is and see where it ends up relative to the desired distance on a good struck shot.

I never trust distances with range balls. Just never seems right and I just have learned to focus more on hitting the ball well and direction. For me, that's all I feel I can expect using them.

From what I'm told -

The distances are pretty close with wedges/short irons, but the disparity grows in the longer clubs. Our range balls are brand new this year from Srixon and the Cleveland rep told me that they would be in the area of 10% shorter off the driver.

Wow. 10 percent is a lot for many THPers. 30 yards or even more.

Kevin

I tried out a new range recently and noticed my shots were going much shorter than what i normally hit. Then realized it was because i was hitting off a mat and wasnt able to take a divot. Were you hitting off grass or mats?

Wow. 10 percent is a lot for many THPers. 30 yards or even more.

Kevin

38 yards for this guy...:D

Tapping till 12-21-2012

One course I go to their range balls are so old they literally dimple free. Horrible flight and distance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I don't even worry about how far range balls go. I just want to know I'm hitting them flush. I know my distances and if I'm a bit short or long one day then I'll know in short order once I get out on the course.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

In a bucket of 75 balls at my muni's driving range you will hit about 10 different models of golf balls because many people will use the balls they find for warmup before a round and they get mixed in with the range balls. No way to get a consistent flight much less a consistent distance.

I tried out a new range recently and noticed my shots were going much shorter than what i normally hit. Then realized it was because i was hitting off a mat and wasnt able to take a divot. Were you hitting off grass or mats?

My range is all mats, I wouldn't blame distance loss on mats. Of course, some mats are better quality than others, but I just don't see big distance losses due to mats.

The 10% number that Hawk gave is pretty accurate for me with longer clubs. Our range balls are almost all Srixon balls and in pretty good shape compared to some other ranges around here. There is a big tree on our range that is about 230 yards out (have measured it with my laser rangefinder), I struggle to fly my driver to that tree on the range, while on the course I have been able to carry the ball in the 240-250 yard range.

From what I'm told -

Agreed 100%. My short clubs are within 5 yds using range balls, but starting about 6I up the distance disparity grows pretty darn quickly. Those old range balls lose right around 10% distance with my mid to long irons.

Soooooo glad my range switched to all E6's

I don't pay attention to distances on the range. I'm just looking to practice making solid contact.

Thanks for all your inputs. Now I know not to trust the distance with the range balls. I've been selecting very "new" looking range balls to get some distance dialed in, however, it was coming up about 10% short...then I thought I am making solid contact, but I am not getting the distance. I will get my distance dialed in with my game ball.

Yup, some range balls are so used up, all dimples were gone. Those, even with solid contact with sand wedge, it wobbles in the air like a good knuckle ball. Funny stuff.

My range uses the 1-piece Srixon limited range ball. The distance with short irons and wedges is shorter, but only by a few yards. Once I get into the long irons, I start to see a bigger difference (maybe up to 10 yards with my 4-iron). I know they are shorter when hitting my driver, but I cannot say how much of a difference because of how the range is set up.

The biggest difference is when they wind is coming into me. The Srixon 1-piece range ball easily gets caught up in the wind and gets killed.

Yea buddy. I hit the ball stupidly high with them when the wind is in my face.

I find the 10% rule applies through all my clubs. A 300 yd drive makes 270 tops and a 140 yd PW goes around the 126-128 range. I've adjusted my practice to match up.

Using yellow top flite and srixon range balls. All in good shape.

i agree on the 10%. though i don't hit 300 yd drives.

This is somewhat a relief as I have never been able to crack 230 yards with my driver, no matter how solid the contact and smooth the swing. Furthermore, the ball flight is really high and stops rather abruptly, so I suspect the compression (due to the balls being hit repeatedly) and dimple erosion factor in somehow.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Do not judge your distance off of range balls.

Back