Callaway X Utility Prototype Irons Preview

When I saw this on the Morgan Cup Facebook page, I figured it was a chipper type of club. I doubt I would even bother with this, other than hitting it a fe times for the experience.

Now, if I happened to hit it good, then that's a different story!

haahhahhah. Leave that option open Smalls hahah - nice dude.

Yeah...add me to the list of those that wants to hit this. Possible low launching fairway finder with the right shaft when the Driver is acting up???

I'm really interested in these. I love my SQ hybrids, but they do get me in trouble when its windy out. I've been hitting my 4/5 irons so well recently that I've been dying for a more forgiving 2/3 iron to hit off the tee on shorter par 4's. I'll be interested to see whether steel or graphite works out better for people. Having never hit a real driving or utility iron before, I'm not sure if graphite or steel would work best for me. I certainly cant wait to try them out with both options.

They look awesome but I wonder how they would fit into my game. I can't imagine they are any longer or forgiving than a traditional hybrid in the same loft.

They look awesome but I wonder how they would fit into my game. I can't imagine they are any longer or forgiving than a traditional hybrid in the same loft.

I don't think they are longer or more forgiving. I understood that they are trying to give more control and tighter dispersion. That is my take anyways.

I don't think they are longer or more forgiving. I understood that they are trying to give more control and tighter dispersion. That is my take anyways.

Yeah I can see that, I'm just intimidated at this point but will be first in line to try them out. I DO really like the idea of more of an iron look, with the hollow construction.

Yeah I can see that, I'm just intimidated at this point but will be first in line to try them out. I DO really like the idea of more of an iron look, with the hollow construction.

Me too man. This is what I like about their looks as well. I am not crazy about the looks of traditional hybrids at address.

"Tighter dispersion" on miss-hits compared to hybrids is ALL I need to know! I can't stand hybrids!!!

I'm hoping these help out in the rough we have around here in CT. It gets pretty patchy which can lead to the ball settling down between a few clumps. I've been having issues getting my hybrids through those.

I've always been a big fan of utility clubs. The easier to hit the better I say and the fact that these look more like an iron then a standard hybrid makes me happy. I've usually been hit and miss with driving iron type clubs as they just launched to high for my liking, so if launch is considerably lower than current hybrids and driving irons Callaway could have a real winner on there hands. I will be looking forward to hitting these once released!

I carry an 18* hybrid. I've used several different ones and I it's always been my most unreliable club in my bag. I normally don't know whether it's going to be a sharp hook, slight fade, or straight as an arrow. When I heard about this club before the British, I was immediately intrigued. I've always been a big Callaway fan so it's definitely on my list of clubs to try when it is available. If I can hit this thing well, it won't take long at all for it to replace the hybrid in my bag.

JB, an idea. Callaway's claim causes me to think hybrid vs utility iron comparo. You're about to have a huge sample size with the Van Tour. I don't know if you have, or bring, a launch monitor with you, but if there's a way to have THP'ers hit their current hybrid or long iron vs the Callaway (if this will be a club you have your hands on early), it would be a great representation of a large cross-section of ability levels to see who actually does "better" with a long iron/hybrid/utility. For someone like me who hasn't hit a single hybrid any better than a long iron, consistency-wise, I'd LOVE to do this to finally figure out what is best for ME!!! Just a thought...

Pretty sure JB already stated that these will not arrive in time for RV Tour stops.

"Tighter dispersion" on miss-hits compared to hybrids is ALL I need to know! I can't stand hybrids!!!

This is exactly what got my attention as well. I am a good ball striker with a predictable ball flight. I want my miss to be closer to where I aim. I don't care about distance.

JB, an idea. Callaway's claim causes me to think hybrid vs utility iron comparo. You're about to have a huge sample size with the Van Tour. I don't know if you have, or bring, a launch monitor with you, but if there's a way to have THP'ers hit their current hybrid or long iron vs the Callaway (if this will be a club you have your hands on early), it would be a great representation of a large cross-section of ability levels to see who actually does "better" with a long iron/hybrid/utility. For someone like me who hasn't hit a single hybrid any better than a long iron, consistency-wise, I'd LOVE to do this to finally figure out what is best for ME!!! Just a thought...

Heck, JB, I VOLUNTEER to do this for the group once the club launches. I have access to a Trackman and I can still play in December here in Louisiana!!!

Pretty sure JB already stated that these will not arrive in time for RV Tour stops.

As was stated earlier, we will not have these in time most likely for our events. We are doing all kinds of great testing though including The Smooth Challenge and some driver shaft testing. You should see about heading down to the GA or St. Louis event perhaps.

Or if you prefer, I am sure we will have these and our launch monitor at the Ultimate Weekend of Golf for you to test there as well.

But a great idea nonetheless! That's why I volunteered when they do launch! :)

Im not sure what you are asking me here. If you have the Trackman, by all means pick one up and share the results. That would be a great test that I am sure others on the site would like to read from your perspective.

This has piqued my interest for a long time. I was hoping this was gonna come out to the public. So excited to try these out and maybe put a few in the bag.

Seriously. Tappin'.

Very interested. I would love to know how versatile it is, even though it seems to be used mostly as a driving iron.
I have a club in the back I would like to replace with a 21 degree.

Nice, i cant wait to try them out!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I saw Ernie Els use one of these off of the fairway when I was watching the Barclays. He hit it well. I don't think that people will have problems with this off of the fairway...looked like he was hitting a hybrid.

I'm not going to lie, those look pretty dang cool, but I too worry about how hard they'll be to hit. Definitely want to give them a try though.

I am really interested in these. Especially the 2 & 3. I think these could be just what I need.

I'd need a set of Razr X Forged to go with my utilities :p

I saw Ernie Els use one of these off of the fairway when I was watching the Barclays. He hit it well. I don't think that people will have problems with this off of the fairway...looked like he was hitting a hybrid.

Ernie Els can rip a 2 iron also. Doesn't mean I can get one more than a foot off the ground. I do want to hit this though

Interesting look, I wonder how they will play for the general public.

That will be the true test. Some tour pros could play clubs backwards and still strike the ball well. As we are well aware, the tie in to tour players is one of the first checkboxes on the marketing dept's list.

I wonder the same. I used to think a driving iron would be easy to hit but the ones made 10-15 years ago were not easy for me to hit at all.

As cool as the concept is, I have a hard time seeing something like this beating a hybrid out of my bag. Will be fun to see though.

These look awesome, what a great looking club. I have played around with other driving irons, and as much as I wanted to hit them well, it just wasnt meant to be. Really looking forward to hearing more thoughts on these from Amateur Golfers, and really looking forward to seeing them in person.

This has been my experience as well. I presume, especially with the word utility being part of the name, that the R&D folks have taken this into account and have improved the forgiveness over previous offerings.

I am looking forward to hearing more about this line of clubs. Hopefully, via a forum testing thread.

Back